The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

1G Replacement oil cooler coolant hoses

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dwb

Proven Member
Sep 9, 2021
Broomfield, Colorado
Looking to replace my feed and return coolant hoses for the 1g oil cooler. MD163197 and MD167360. One runs between the alternator and turbo and the other is the short one on the bottom of the oil cooler.
I haven't checked with a Mitsu dealer but parts vendors (Extreme, STM, RTM, etc.) are showing out of stock or not even listing them. Are there any aftermarket replacements? Anyone have success running just straight coolant line?

EDIT: Pics:
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Last edited:
You'd be better off just getting universal coolant lines from a parts store and cutting them to the proper length. Would be a lot cheaper too.
That works good for some of the hoses on the thermostat housing, and I feel like I could get away with that for the lower oil cooler hose. That upper molded hose (the longer one of the two) is super close to the exhaust and snakes between the alternator/dipstick/turbo. I've seen threads here that mention something about silicone hoses as a replacement, but yet to see anything molded for sale. Anyone ever successfully ran a straight hose here?

You can get a molded silicon hose kit on ebay for a 2g and it will include that hose. Its just a pain to replace

I just installed a silicon hose kit yesterday, ill snap a pic of the oil cooler hose. Its basically a lazy S shape. Usually I dont bother to replace that one, the old hoses get super hard and you have to cut them off. Then since its a low line the whole block tries to drain through the top and bottom ports. Its almost better to remove the lower cooler hose first tow drain the block and then do the upper cooler hose after

Here's a screen grab. You can see it is in the 11 piece kit

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree, but I have used a non-molded line in that location with no issues. Could always go 1 step better and use a braided line, if the cost is worth it for you.
:thumb:So no issue with a straight hose...thanks, that's the info I was after. If I can't easily find a molded one I'll go this route.

You can get a molded silicon hose kit on ebay for a 2g and it will include that hose. Its just a pain to replace

I just installed a silicon hose kit yesterday, ill snap a pic of the oil cooler hose. Its basically a lazy S shape. Usually I dont bother to replace that one, the old hoses get super hard and you have to cut them off. Then since its a low line the whole block tries to drain through the top and bottom ports. Its almost better to remove the lower cooler hose first tow drain the block and then do the upper cooler hose after
I'll go have a look for this kit.:cool: I'm not worried about physically replacing it. The oil cooler and water pipe are not even installed yet. ROFL

Straight coolant hose from an auto parts store cut to length works fine. I've been doing it for well over a decade. Hell, I don't use any molded hoses except the fatties to the heater core and radiator. All my other small lines are cut-to-length.
I've only replaced ones I've accidentally knicked which caused a slow leak later in their life. That being said, I've only replaced the lower oil cooler hoses once over 10 years because of this very reason and being factory hoses wouldn't save you from this.

From my old engine on my 1G before I swapped to a 16G and different IC

Update - tried ordering these hoses from the stealership but all were backordered so I gave up. I opted to use straight coolant hose and it actually worked out pretty good :hellyeah:

Update - tried ordering these hoses from the stealership but all were backordered so I gave up. I opted to use straight coolant hose and it actually worked out pretty good :hellyeah:
I need to do this exact same thing. So just to confirm, the hose from the water pipe to the oil cooler is 3/8 inch inner diameter, correct?

Yes, 3/8" straight hose is fine for the lower one. For the S-shaped one from the front water pipe to oil cooler, Gates makes this replacement hose for the 2g. Its in the heating and a/c section, not the cooling section on Rockauto's website.

Yes, 3/8" straight hose is fine for the lower one. For the S-shaped one from the front water pipe to oil cooler, Gates makes this replacement hose for the 2g. Its in the heating and a/c section, not the cooling section on Rockauto's website.

Thanks. But I need it for my 1G and it shows straight bulk hose for it so I guess the 2G hose is different. I've read that others have used straight bulk hose and it works ok.

2g is different than a 1g. For 1g lines, bulk coolant hose works good for all locations that aren't 90deg bends. For those 90's, like on the thermostat housing, go to your auto parts store and find a generic 3/8" molded one and cut to length.

In a pinch I've used a longer length of bulk hose and made a loop to do a 90. Not optimum but works. I would only do it short term to make sure a hose isn't rubbing etc.

2g is different than a 1g. For 1g lines, bulk coolant hose works good for all locations that aren't 90deg bends. For those 90's, like on the thermostat housing, go to your auto parts store and find a generic 3/8" molded one and cut to length.
It's odd that Advance auto and Autozone don't stock 3/8 inch bulk straight heater hose. The only 3/8 inch hose they stock is fuel hose. Without ordering, I can only find the 3/8 inch bulk heater hose at Napa.

Last edited:
Gates 18030 is a 3/8 ID coolant hose with a bend in it. You can cut it down to use in all kinds of spots like the oil cooler, the hoses to the throttle body etc.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back