The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

Redo Your Headliner 95-99

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

:thumb:

Note: You might notice this gets a lil ridiculous telling people how to take off each part, but I would rather be specific now, than have people emailing me asking me how to do certain things. So bare with the length of the instructions.

Supplies Needed:

Phillips Screw Driver

Socket Wrench

3M General Trim Adhesive Clear

Blade/Scissors

Headliner material - http://store.yahoo.com/yourautotrim-store/auothead.html

How To:

1) First you need to take off the stuff holding up your headliner. So unscrew and take off both sun visors, pop off the cover on your sunroof switch cover (assuming you have a sunroof) and unscrew the screw and take of the cover.

2.) Next, take off the "Oh shit" handle on the passenger side. Just pull back the cover and there is a screw you need to unscrew.

3.) Once the "Oh shit" handle is off, you take off the 2 runners on either side. See picture 1 below. Those simply pop out, just oull hard.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

4.) Once you have the runners off, we move to the back of the car. This is the part that takes a lil more time. You need to take off both bottom and top portions that cover your window and speakers, see picture 2 below. The reason you have to take of the bottom, is because you need to take of the top. And you cant take off the top without taking off the bottom first because there are screws hidden underneath the bottom that hold down the top. Confused? LOL. Anyway, you are going to have to remove your backseat in order to get to some screws that hold down the bottom. Once the bottom is off, the top is held down by 3 screws and the seatbelt. Yes Yes, you need to take off both front seatbelts. Just get a socket wrench, pop the plastic cover off and unscrew. Once the top portion of the seatbelts and all screws are off, the top should pop off after a lil bit of pulling.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

5.) Ok, so right now here's what should be unscrewed and taken out of your car. Sun visors, oh shit handle, 2 runners, 2 bottom portions, 2 top portions, as well as the top of the seatbelts should be unscrewed.

6.) Now in each one of the 4 corners on your headliner there will be a plastic screw that you need to pull out. Once the 4 screws are out, the headliner should almost fall down.

=================================================

Now your ready to take off the old "carpet" and put on the new one. Sorry I dont have pics for any of this, I didnt have film. :(

1.) Keep pulling up on the carpet till you find a spot where it begins to come up. Now, slowly, pull off the carpet from the headliner backboard. You will notice that after the carpet is removed, the headliner is very fragile so dont bend it. Anyway, remove the carpet, try to keep in as one big piece in case you mess up and need to put back on the old one, you will still have it.

2.) Once you have all the old carpet off, take your 3m General Trim Adhesive (Part No - 08088, 16.25 Oz bottle, BIG ONE!) and begin to spray the headliner backboard. Make sure you get ever spot real good or else the new carpet wont stick and it might sag. I suppose you could also just spray the back of the carpet rather than the headliner, but I chose headliner.

3.) Wait about 5 min for the adhesive to get tacky. Lay the new carpet on the headliner backboard and begin to smooth the carpet onto the headliner. You will notice after you let it dry that the carpet be coming off on some edges. Just go back spray it a lil more and hold it down for a few minutes.

4) Once the carpet has been on there for about 30 min, get some scissors or a blade and begin to cut away the excess that you have, as well as cut away the holes needed for the screws and what have you to go thru. Easiest way to do this is just turn the headliner over and you will see all the holes that need to be cut and just cut them that way. Or look at your old carpet and you will see what holes need to be cut.

5) Don't worry if the trim looks raggedy, every hole is going to be covered by some sort of plastic so you wont even see ragged edges when it is back up on the car.

6) Once your done cuttin holes, I just let mine dry overnight to make sure it was dry. Go back and put it back up, the exact opposite way you took it done. Best way to hold it up there is put the 4 plastic screws back in place first, then worry about visors and everything else.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back