The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support ExtremePSI

Question for the smart people NEED HELP

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

So what’s the scoop? It’s Monday did you mess it at all?

-Daniel
Yes. Even the big ass 1” impact for semis wouldn’t touch these bolts. Let me tell you it was a mother just to hold up there and try and keep from bouncing. No joy. Drill as deep as I could before drill bits of different sizes quit eating, torched again, no joy.
Best luck I had so far with everything I’ve tried was the angle grinder cut off wheel (the metal one with diamond infused edge), cut it about 3/4 - 7/8 of the way through, (at that point your fighting to much of the brass even making relief notches in it and the motor is crying), and beating the hell out of it with a cold chisel and 5lb dead blow while still hot. All day got this far…one hinge off. Now still have to get the bolts out of the sleeves. At least I can get some penetrating fluid in the threads at this point.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

I’m not a smart man by any means, but I would love to incorporate that door into a redesign of the building, would be a really cool homage to the past use of the space and be a nice little conversation starter.
Too many risks. I mean there was a way to ventilate if you got locked in but still. Someone actually didn’t get locked in in recents years after being told NOT to shut the door. It’s been a vacant unit for many years now, so ya I get the sentiment but it needed to go for any future tenant.

The heatsink is the problem. If its hardened steel you can remove the temper by getting it hot enough to demagnetize. Then letting it cool naturally will make it soft again. Problem is the wall and the brass itself is gonna need to damn near get to the melting point to let the steel get up to that temp.

No idea how to fix this, but I'm curious as to what finally ends up being the fix. Let us know either way! I just wonder at this point if cutting the concrete in a square around it and removing the whole chunk would be easier.

The heatsink is the problem. If its hardened steel you can remove the temper by getting it hot enough to demagnetize. Then letting it cool naturally will make it soft again. Problem is the wall and the brass itself is gonna need to damn near get to the melting point to let the steel get up to that temp.

No idea how to fix this, but I'm curious as to what finally ends up being the fix. Let us know either way! I just wonder at this point if cutting the concrete in a square around it and removing the whole chunk would be easier.
We thought about that too, but after the concrete cutting professionals with the big boy tools were gone. Too much $ to get them back now. Didn’t think it was going to take this much to get them out. I’m mean they’re just bolts right!?
Based on the rust inside some vacant sleeves on the inside of the vault I saw I’m guessing the threads have seized themselves together with rust too.

Well, the Torque Multiplier seems like an awesome tool to have in the arsenal so it will stay, BUT, the damn bolts are designed to never come out obviously, it sheered a 1/2” to 1” impact rated adapter in half and didn’t phase the bolt heads.
Ultimately continued with a new wheel and cut heads until they would pop off with dead blow and cold chisel. Not sure who made who their bi$ch at this point, I’m pretty sore, but we got them off.

The funny part is once the bolt heads were gone and brass hinge assembly pryed off the remaining bolt threads, we could remove most of the posts by hand after spraying with wd/pb blaster.

Thanks. In the red money wise on this part of the project but glad to have it done and behind me. :cool:

In retrospect, maybe you should have called Hollywood. In the movies, one small clump of explosive blows the door right off its hinges. 🤣

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back