The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support Rix Racing

Punishment Racing 1g FMIC Kit

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blackmirage

15+ Year Contributor
Jun 23, 2006
Clarksville, Tennessee
Has anyone had any experience with this kit, worth the money?? For 489 it aint priced bad at all. Just looking for some feedback before I make the decision.. I've got about 500.00 to spend on either that or the GT Mani, EVO III O2 housing from DSMParts.com and a dp from punishment racing. How much will the FMIC help on a stock car..
My reasoning for buying FMIC first is, that its easier to buy 100-200 parts here and there then to save up 500.00 so since I've gotten a lump sum knot of 500 coming to me.. which should I do.. I know I rambled all through that but oh well.. Any and all help is appreciated. THANKS!

Got one. Nice components, doesn't play well with A/C, A/C fan, or aftermarket radiator, and the 2 1/2" t-bolt clamps are too large. Be prepared to do some cutting on your bumper support also. I put in a modified Dejon support.

That said, I expected a lot of that so, I like it, haven't run it yet, so I cannot comment on that yet.

I like mine so far. No numbers or anything from it, but it seems like a solid piece. And this is the same as the one LaN was selling.

I was looking to buy fmic for my 90 tsi awd next month. keep me posted on how it performs. thanks

How was shipping through punishment racing? Will this work with a fluidyne radiator?

How was shipping through punishment racing? Will this work with a fluidyne radiator?

Ordered Friday eve. Arrived Wednsday AM.:thumb:

I have a Fluidyne, and in my case, the pipe from the turbo to the IC inlet has too large of a bend radius and diameter to fit between the corner of the radiator and the alternator. I had a 2" inlet welded to the intercooler and am making a 2" pipe with a pair of cast elbows instead.

As with all things DSM, results may vary.

Ordered Friday eve. Arrived Wednsday AM.:thumb:

I have a Fluidyne, and in my case, the pipe from the turbo to the IC inlet has too large of a bend radius and diameter to fit between the corner of the radiator and the alternator. I had a 2" inlet welded to the intercooler and am making a 2" pipe with a pair of cast elbows instead.

As with all things DSM, results may vary.

This worries me.. Did anyone else have this issue? I doubt it's the radiator that cause this correct?

The pipes are all beaded. We've hit 30 psi with it on our shop car a few times, the average psi we've been running is 26-27

Tim

Just got done installing this kit as well. My biggest issue was with the jpipe. The way it is designed it is nearly impossible to get a bolt to go into one of the holes because the pipe completely blocks it. What I had to do was take out my dremel and elongate the holes to make them slots so i could slide the bolt in at an angle and then straighten it out. The other issue is the bov, I'm not sure why the design has the bov sticking way far out, but it will hit your hood. I've got a small dent in my hood now from the first time I closed my hood. The design needs to be changed so that the bov is closer to the main intercooler pipe, easy fix. The quality of the tbolts are questionable, I snapped two of them tightening them down and I didn't even think I had them very tight.

Other than that, the kit seems to be pretty good for the price.

yeh I second the BOV mount on the pipe kicks it too far up, is there any suggestions PUNISHMENTRACING???? thanks

Just got done installing this kit as well. My biggest issue was with the jpipe. The way it is designed it is nearly impossible to get a bolt to go into one of the holes because the pipe completely blocks it. What I had to do was take out my dremel and elongate the holes to make them slots so i could slide the bolt in at an angle and then straighten it out. The other issue is the bov, I'm not sure why the design has the bov sticking way far out, but it will hit your hood. I've got a small dent in my hood now from the first time I closed my hood. The design needs to be changed so that the bov is closer to the main intercooler pipe, easy fix. The quality of the tbolts are questionable, I snapped two of them tightening them down and I didn't even think I had them very tight.

Other than that, the kit seems to be pretty good for the price.

That was one of my problems also, I just cut off the bolt for it and threaded it into the turbo then used the nut to tighten that side. Also the comment about the radiator, we fit a mishimoto radiator in there fine. Not sure if that is of any benefits because the fluidyne might be thicker than it. Also the comment with the bov fitting you just have to play with it, I do have a nice little dent in my hood now though but not anymore because of running a smim with it. Modification was ratherly simply for that. I didn't have to make a whole new uicp like others said just some few cuts.

I actually ended up modifying the pipe to fit as the lower pipe. The BOV fits just in front of the transmission. Made an intake pipe with the recirc tube on the bottom. It's hard to see or photograph, but if anyone wants to see a pic, let me know, I'll try to get a shot & post it.

I guess I'm bored tonite. Your gain. I can't get a shot of the routing to the intake, but you should kind of get the idea.

I will be making a new intake using mandrel bends one of these days, so just ignore the pie-cut one. :p

Attachments

• blackcar pix 143.jpg
    blackcar pix 143.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 2,012
  • blackcar pix 144.jpg
    blackcar pix 144.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 1,977
yeh I second the BOV mount on the pipe kicks it too far up, is there any suggestions PUNISHMENTRACING???? thanks

I thought they were supposed to fix that? Patgsx has this kit and the bov was hitting his hood since the flange is tall. He just rewelded the flange and moved it down some. I will tell him to check this thread out so he can add more info.

I have LaNs kit and I had 2 issues. Number one being the BOV flange was built with a tube and not just bolted to the IC pipe. Looking at it, Its was the stupidest thing you have ever seen and your hood hits it . Fix just have the tube cut out and the flange welded to the IC pipe.Second was I have antilock brakes and the elbow off the throttle body wasnt sharp enough and it hit. I ordered a silicone 45 degree elbow and it worked out perfect.

Its a great kit for the price and mine came out very clean,keeping my stock fog lamps and also running a Fluidyne.

I just finished putting one on my car this weekend and I had no problems at all. I had to cut the sheet metal by the side of the radiator quite a bit and since my car has no bumper support that part was easy. The intercooler keep the air nice and cool and I could not be happier.

Just installed mine, have the same problem with the bov hitting the hood, easy fix, also had to remove the power steering cooler. I was able to use the stock fan, but I had to trim it, I dont have A/C.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back