The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Rix Racing

Possibly new DSM owner.... again :) Need help/advice. Pic

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Junior1023

Probationary Member
Feb 8, 2013
The Springs, Colorado
Hey guys, looks like I might be picking up a new DSM :) Possibly trading my Type-R Swapped Integra for a 97 GST. Im getting the short end of the stick on the trade, but im looking to get back into something boosted (dont wanna boost a perfectly good b18c5). Now, onto the concerns... LOL

The car seems to need a decent amount of work. My last DSM was a gs, so I am mostly unfamiliar with the 4g63. This is what I know now. Apperantly the car has a new timing belt done within the last 3 months (done at some shop in Denver called Kens Kars?). When we met up to trade I noticed that his clutch was slipping, so on Thursday before we deal it is apparently getting a new clutch at my request from Revolutions here in Colorado Springs. So there are two major things out of the way.

Now, the car has some sort of ignition by-pass. Its a hand held starter? WTF? I guess they are commonly used to remotely fire over a car while working under the hood. Its somehow hard wired into the car, so the car will NOT start without pushing the button. Im not to knowledgeable when it comes to electrical work (I can make due) so I dont really know how to take car of that. To keep with the elcetrical issues, the car also has FOUR gauges that are wired to light, but do not work. The owner also claims that when he got it the previous owner had two blow-offs on it.... again, WTF... It now currently has one (either hks or knockoff). I guess its common place with a front mount for the coolant reservior to need to be relocated? So its zip-tied to the bumper.

Anyone got some advice or willing to help get it back to being a respectable car? LOL

I attached a pic of the engine bay

Attachments

• eclipse motor.jpg
    eclipse motor.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 131
Hey man I am over on the airfield on fort Carson and live in the springs over by the Colorado Springs airport.... I am doing a maint day to my spyder and always willing to give a hand..dose he have the receipts for the clutch and the timing belt? If he can't produce them then don't count on it being done. I would ether call and ask talk to kens kars that did the work and tell them your looking at it and would like to know what all work has been completed on it. Don't ask them if the belt was changed just say you need to verify what has been done. If they say it was replaced then you should be good.... If you get the car and willing to wrech on it as well then your more then welcome to swing by.... Have pretty much every tool you will need to pull it apart and back together again at my house in my garage... But your car Looks as it has Samco radiator hoses and by the length of the yellow plug wires looks like a set of 1g wires. Also looks to have some sort of poly motor mounts and looks to be a knock off hks bov that is not recurulated and that is kinda bad if your not speed density. ... Dose the ignition key still turn? I would assume it would need to, to unlock the steering wheel unless that was disabled too...Could be as easy to just rewire the stuff under the dash. I had to pull out a remote start out of my car because there was no remote with it and it was not that difficult to do just took a little time.....

Are you the one that bought a gsx shell to do the AWD conversion? If so, I bought parts of you last time. I had the burnt orange eclipse with the brown domo on the back.

Oh yeah that is me finished the awd swap and all. Just going to be doing some new vacuum lines and some other little things this weekend....I remember you, glad you finally got a turbo that you where looking for. I will be working on my car Friday morning and then Saturday. Your more then welcome to swing by and put some wrench time in...

LOL Kenz Karz... good luck anything being done right on that turd.

Oh yeah that is me finished the awd swap and all. Just going to be doing some new vacuum lines and some other little things this weekend....I remember you, glad you finally got a turbo that you where looking for. I will be working on my car Friday morning and then Saturday. Your more then welcome to swing by and put some wrench time in...

LOL, fancy seeing you here again. IF I end up trading for it still Ill be getting it friday night.

LOL Kenz Karz... good luck anything being done right on that turd.

Something I dont know about the place? I know the timing was done there. He wanted to have them do the clutch as well, I said no. If it wasnt revolutions then we wouldnt deal so he caved on that.

Anybody in here have or know someone who has a 2g gst/gsx that wants a JDM front type-R motor swapped integra? LOL.

Last edited:
Good luck trading here most people on the forums love their dsm... have any photos of it?

If interested feel free to shoot over a text. Thanks 719-287-912six

BAD:
Front bumper needs paint from filling rock chips
Needs a pocket for above or below the radio in the dash.
No A/C
Shocks could use a rebuild. Stiff ride.

The car is definitely a drivers car. Handles well, perfect quick little track car.

Motor:
USDM B18C5 Type-R Motor swap (65k on swap, new timing belt set-up during swap)
Full skunk2 built head (valves, springs, retainers, etc..)
B16 Transmission (new stage 2 clutch during swap)
AEM Adjustable Timing Gears
Greddy Header
Custom Full Exhaust
PasswordJDM Carbon Fiber Power Chamber Whale Penis Intake

Exterior:
Full welded JDM front end, HID headlights
APR Style Rear Spoiler
Carbon Fiber Hood (small scratch on the side by the fender)
Carbon Fiber Front Lip
1998+ Full Red Taillights
Blue Benen Rear Tow Hook

Suspension/Wheels/Tires:
No Name Adjustable Coilovers
Polished/Gold Drag DR20 Wheels
Like New Kuhmo Tires

Interior:
USDM Type-R interior (front seats, rear seats, center console, door cards, dash, etc...)
NRG Quick Release and Hub Set-up
MOMO steering wheel

Attachments

• car collage.jpg
    car collage.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 103
Yeah I am not willing to trade you would have to give me 4grand on top of the car to eve make it close to even trade. Even with the mods it has my suspension and turbo kit are worth more then that.i have quite a few buddy's who have early tegys and a few with a b18c swap and still not impressed by them..... I just wanted to see what you where trading to get the GST..... I deff think you will get the better end of the deal with that trade. For its time the b18c was good until the LS block and the K motors came out....you will be lucky to get 250 out of the b18 without some seriousness mods. You can get that with minor bolt ons with the gst. Granted the tegy will handle better in stock form but yeah nothing some minor mods won't cure.... With some elbow grease and love the dsm will out preform and look better in my opinion..... I would go ahead with the trade if I was you, but then again I have not seen ether of the cars in person.

Was the car originally black? or was the engine bay painted? If so, I'm going to assume the motor could have been taken out at some point? If the teggy is your DD, I wouldn't do the trade personally. If it's not a daily, then I might. You might risk some late days coming into work, or a couple calls to AAA. This of course is my opinion from the picture and your description of the current seller's claims. Make the calls to the shops he named, and ask for receipts. Take someone with you to look over the car who knows about 2G's. I would help, but I'm a 1G guy and could overlook something.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back