The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

1992 Talon Tsi - Need help troubleshooting a new prob.

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clane

Probationary Member
Feb 5, 2012
Colorado Spring, Colorado
Recently my car has started dying arbitrarily. As it progressed I began trying to track what was happening with Link. I can be driving down the road and everything just goes away. So far here what I see when logging.

Can be any RPM and injectors go away, injector duty falls to 0% As does fuelflow and InjOn
RPM signal to ecm goes away, states 0 even with motor spinning down, and not sure if it relevant but my ign timing remains the same in the log, no changes occur when the other signals go away. Not sure I can make any sense of that, but... that is what happens.

Happens reasonably soon if its hot out and not nearly as quickly if its cooled off outside, so heat seems to play a part. Everything returns within minutes and it will start again until the process repeats. This has been happening repeatedly making the car unreliable to take anywhere.

Any ideas, anyone? I can acquire more data if necessary. Thanks in advance...

I had similar problem and few times. My o2 sensor would get stuck and car would die. Happen twice with aftermarket generic sensor. Now wired wideband and simulationd o2 and it don't die. Cought it with ecmlink. Before that I thought my tps was bad so changed it. It looked like it was dropping out in the link but it was not. Also the ingnition module or what ever it is called on mine you move the connector and it would stall. Was missing the metal retainer and the plug was vibration out. Just some things that you could check.

I had similar problem and few times. My o2 sensor would get stuck and car would die. Happen twice with aftermarket generic sensor. Now wired wideband and simulationd o2 and it don't die. Cought it with ecmlink. Before that I thought my tps was bad so changed it. It looked like it was dropping out in the link but it was not. Also the ingnition module or what ever it is called on mine you move the connector and it would stall. Was missing the metal retainer and the plug was vibration out. Just some things that you could check.

I'm running an AEM Wideband which appears to be working fine. But thanks for the input.

May be a heat sensitive power transistor. Heat with hair dryer to see effect. Also make sure all connections, especially battery terminals, are clean and tight.

I've gone over the connections, but I'll double check. Also didn't think about power transistor or being able to test with hair dryer, thank you, I'll give that a shot.

I've gone over the connections, but I'll double check. Also didn't think about power transistor or being able to test with hair dryer, thank you, I'll give that a shot.

Took the hair dryer to the Power Transistor, CAS, Resistor Pack, and TPS (grasping at straws, LOL). Power trans was so hot I couldn't touch it and no fails... Other thoughts?

You running wideband and simulationg o2 sensor? or you running widebamd and using stock o2 for fuel trim readings?

Also on some gm I had coolant temp sensor dropping out and it would go -40 and that would cause a stall. Data log the car when it happens and than to over everything. Mine would just lean out and at 700 rpm and when the fan kicked on it would die. Also I triple check my base idle and base timing. Clean throttle body if it was not cleaned in a long time. Idle speed motor or what ever wax bs mitsubishi wants to call it could fail.

You running wideband and simulationg o2 sensor? or you running widebamd and using stock o2 for fuel trim readings?

Also on some gm I had coolant temp sensor dropping out and it would go -40 and that would cause a stall. Data log the car when it happens and than to over everything. Mine would just lean out and at 700 rpm and when the fan kicked on it would die. Also I triple check my base idle and base timing. Clean throttle body if it was not cleaned in a long time. Idle speed motor or what ever wax bs mitsubishi wants to call it could fail.

Yes, Wideband in front O2 (AEM UEGO) for logging running narrobandsim. temp sensor is good, base time just set ICS/FIAV removed.

Possibly intermittent MPI relay or faulty ECU? Next time it dies, without turning key off, measure voltage on MPI relay pins 4 and 5 red wires. Also pin 8 (black-blue) and pin 10 (black-red). Pins 4,5,10 should be +12v and pin 8 near 0v.

Almost forgot the whole car is running on mpi relay. Try to make it stall and remember what happens when it stalls so that you can reproduce it. Then back to checking. Try the relay. You could also attach fuel pressure gauge and tape it to the windshield and see if you are loosing the pump. Also intake air temp dropping out also could make the car to stall. Lastly you can do a tap test. Tap cas lightly with the end of a screw driver and see what happens. Had a ram with 5.7 stalling recently, tapped the crank angle sensor and it would die, new one did not have any affect when tapped. Just some food for thoughts. The last thing would be the ECU. In my experience the box gets the attention the last.

It was the Crank position sensor, finally took a shit the other night and stranded me. On a positive note, I did find out what the problem was. I also wanted to thank those of you that offered an opinion about options and things to check. It's nice to see that this community still exists and is willing to help one another.

Should anyone have a 1G Rectangular plug CAS they want to part with, please contact me. Thanks again guys...

Chuck

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back