The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

Please Help!! Anyone!! :'(

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ray101

10+ Year Contributor
Jan 28, 2012
houston, Texas
Okay i am shit out of luck and only have about $400 bucks to spend due to wife being a ughhhhh (b word) anywho I have a 1997 eclipse gst that has a bent piston rod and i cant drive it without it making this horrible rattleing noise! :( I would just like to put a 6 bolt in it and get it over with but at the moment I need a new motor just to put in there so i can drive again. It really sucks asking for rides to work...:/

here is the link IMG_1373.MOV - YouTube

my buddy has a short block 6 bolt for 300 i think in perfect condition. in houston ofcourse.

You will need to drill out the head stud holes to accept the 6 bolt studs as they are larger. If your tight for money and need your car back soon, I would stick with the 7 bolt so it can drop right in and go.

no dont get a 7 bolt, my advice is , if your buying a new shortblock get a 6bolt, do it right. and the 2g head with 6bolt is a good setup, the way the 2g head is designed is far superior to the 1g head.

he has a local picking it up today, if he flakes out ill let you know, should be a local around you that has a 6bolt no? put up an ad on classifieds i suggest.

okay just let me know and nope i been posting on craigslist, greensheet, hell even been looking on ebay and nothing. Either they wanna sell the whole car or if i do find a motor it is aleady fully build and they are asking 2500$ for the motor :(

oh crap didnt even realise your in houston, yeah ill let you know

Find a junkyard or pullapart. Or just buy a rod for $20-30 and replace it yourself. you can keep the block in the car. Take the head off. Take the piston out. Go to a machine shop, and pay them $20-30 to swap the rods. Assemble everything with a $30 felpro headgasket. Boom under $100

ok thanks for the info...this is my first GSX and i am learning the ropes here...i have a 54 Ford F100 so you know how easy everything is with carbs....fuel injection, computers, turbo and all this stuff is like chinese to me right now...got the haynes book and trying to learn..hopefully WEAPON "X" hits the road in about 3-4 months (Xmas time)...

thanx guys! but if i do the switch the rod part then i will have to replace the water pump cause it is bad for sure and replace all the gaskets and the cheapest i find a gasket for is $300 and then plus another $100 uhhhh i will be cutting it close with that. i rather get a either a new bottom end so i can sell the other but the main thing is to get my car running. :( I hope 91 mits can come through that would be amazing!!! :)

and as far as junkyards????? OMG these damn mexicans are so dam expensive you will be better off buying it new from the dealer :mad: freaking rip offs

Even with a used block I would replace the gaskets. But $300 is ridiculous. Water pump with gasket is $45. Timing belt $25. Pulleys and tensioner would be the most expensive but not 100% required

yea but i want to be sure i have enough you know i dont want to start taking it apart then something else happen then i dont have cash for it then i will be s.o.l

anyone??

With your budget.. Doing a small rebuild is your only option. Like stated before.. Replace the rod while the motor is still in the car... Thats your cheapest direction. Just be cautious.. Cheap fixes wont last. And as far as the 6 bolt swap.. You will be looking at alot more $$$.. ESP when you have to get the kiggly kit and deal with the misfires that might haunt you.

Dangggg tha sux!!! :( well if it gets my car running again i might as well do it. but i am gonna have to look up how to do that cause i am not to fond with dsm that much just yet :?

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back