The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support Rix Racing

1G O2 housing and wastegate HELP

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TNT_DSM

Probationary Member
Apr 4, 2022
Blanchester, Ohio
Can anyone recommend a cheap O2 housing and a good wastegate, I was thinking about an external dump. We also have a 44mm on3 performance wastegate that I was thinking about using. Is it possible to use that and how would you weld a flange on to a wastegated O2 housing?

The question is why? If your vehicle profile is correct and you have a 16g like it states boost can be managed pretty easily with the internal gate. You can get a cheap Chinese o2 housing that’s set up to dump the internal gate and cut it and weld a 44mm v band flange on it, but even then it’s a cheap thin material that’s likely to crack anyway for no gain. Even with that being said, a 44mm gate is overkill for most bolt on housing turbos that can benefit from an external gate. That’s a lot of cutting and hacking of one Chinese part to make a cheap Chinese wastegate fit. Is that saying the “on3” gate doesn’t work? Absolutely not, while I’ve seen them fail way more than the real Tial gate their a knockoff of I’ve also seen more of them work as they should than fail, but again, a lot of headache to use a part that won’t benefit you just because you have it laying around.

The question is why? If your vehicle profile is correct and you have a 16g like it states boost can be managed pretty easily with the internal gate. You can get a cheap Chinese o2 housing that’s set up to dump the internal gate and cut it and weld a 44mm v band flange on it, but even then it’s a cheap thin material that’s likely to crack anyway for no gain. Even with that being said, a 44mm gate is overkill for most bolt on housing turbos that can benefit from an external gate. That’s a lot of cutting and hacking of one Chinese part to make a cheap Chinese wastegate fit. Is that saying the “on3” gate doesn’t work? Absolutely not, while I’ve seen them fail way more than the real Tial gate their a knockoff of I’ve also seen more of them work as they should than fail, but again, a lot of headache to use a part that won’t benefit you just because you have it laying around.
It's not the stock turbo, it's a Mitsubishi style forced performance turbo. Same O2 housing but no internals. That's why I'm going with the external. I'm building the car, it already has a FP manifold and 3 inch exhaust.

It's not the stock turbo, it's a Mitsubishi style forced performance turbo. Same O2 housing but no internals. That's why I'm going with the external. I'm building the car, it already has a FP manifold and 3 inch exhaust.
Also the turbo came with internals, but was taken out and bored.

Also the turbo came with internals, but was taken out and bored.

Being you gave no details of what kind of set up this was going to and your vehicle profile isn’t updated to reflect that it would lead one to believe this was going on a 16g. That changes things a bit. Something like an FP green or red with an external gate makes a lot more sense, and while the 44mm might be more than you need it won’t hurt either. However the solution on the o2 housing still stands, we’ve made them from cheap Chinese o2 housings by cutting the dump tube and adding a wastegate provision as mentioned above and they work until they don’t, better option would be to buy a good one and not have to worry about it, no one offers a generic o2 housing with a wastegate provision out of the box at a low price. I’d also advise sending that turbo out to someone like Justin Whitesell to have it built and assembled properly, not to sound discouraging but usually when someone has a compressor cover or what not machined to accept a different compressor wheel and just slams the parts together it doesn’t work out well, and it would be good for you to know exactly what you have and what you can expect before you get too deep in buying and/or fabricating parts around it.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back