The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

New to DSMs just bought first one.

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

devinjd07

Probationary Member
Jan 25, 2014
Cincinnati, Ohio
Hey guys,
Just bought a 96 gst and was wondering if there is any thing I need to know off hand to keep an eye on before putting money into it. Thanks

theres a huge list of things to look at, first is it running properly.... and i use that term loosley.

meaning is there anything you notice right off the bat? find out what it is and take care of it....

maintenance is the biggest thing, you have to walk before you can run....

DSM 4G63 Maintenance Guide - DSMtuners

here is the dsmtuners maintenance guide...

*Broken Record Alert*

Maintenance is key. if you do proper maintenance you will know after a bit if the car is worth putting your money into or not

get an exhuast ,straight pipe, it sounds amazing. a simple easy + to hp, if its a high milage car (wish i had done it sooner) get a used 14b in good condition. 1g's had them stock , 2g's have t25's

crank walk is something you should learn about

also fix your doors before they brake, everyone's door handles brake . at least everyone i know.
rust on strut towers is a problem, get to that before it starts rusting out

i like pro sport gauges! (becuase boost guage)

if you are going big, dont skip out from what i read you can get hp easy just get the right supporting mods. iv read a lot of articles of people running 300 whp cars off 16g's on stock blocks

and welcome!

Do all maintenance before any mods. It will save you in the long run if you plan on keeping the car. And finally keep it clean!!!:thumb:

Guys are right, go with maintenance first than anything else. Make sure timing belt is good, mine ripped a month after i bought my car and broke four exhaust valves :( Make sure to use synthetic fluids as well. Keeps your turbo in good shape. Exhaust , intake and some lowering springs would be nice on the next step. More than anything , love your DSM .

Maintiance get a mbc and you will be hooked on the power and see if it worth it.

I'll go ahead and say a MBC in the hands of a newbie can be a dangerous thing...
Know the limits before you decide to increase boost pressure. It can save you a lot of grief.

Welcome!

Run through all the tech forums, find the members on here that KNOW what they are doing. The members that have posts that are sticky'd are good bets! I'd ask them directly. Posting questions can be dangerous... a lot of people on here love to give information on topics they don't know **** about. Tuning an engine is always going to cost you way more than you think, do it right or don't do it all. This could save your car and a lot of money.

Good luck!

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back