The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support STM Tuned

New head gasket better than Cometic!

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wishihadatalon said:
my guess is that you guys read your plugs and don't rely on the stock sensor? That is what I have been told will give you best results.

I rely heavily on my KS. I don't like seeing more than 2* of KR on pump and 1* on race gas + high boost. I do check my plugs frequently to confirm my logs. :| :rocks:

FWIW...I have detonated the car heavily at 28psi and destroyed my rings and damaged my pistons (stock at the time) but the HG came out perfect in one piece. That's why I regard it so highly. ;)

coltboostin said:
Breaking through common misconseptions of stock ignition/valves/valvesprings, HG's, HG bolts, Main bolts, fuel rails......
:shhh: blasphemy. Next thing you'll be saying more people have run 10s on 20Gs than any other turbo :p

My car's survived several years now on an OEM HG, stock Head Bolts with 23psi and 93octane gas. Have had a few "tuning errors" causing high knock at the track, but never has failed.

With an o-ringed block I dont' see how the OEM gasket would fail unless I did something really stupid.

BTW.. Isky Cams makes a tool you can o-ring your block while still in the car. Pretty cool deal for a $60 rental fee ;) :dsm:

I think the ICS is a sales gimmick. Sorry. I love the way the bright color of the head gasket lets you see exactly where it blew don't you guys??? OMG

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

turbodsm90 said:
I think the ICS is a sales gimmick. Sorry. I love the way the bright color of the head gasket lets you see exactly where it blew don't you guys???

Yup I do.

Attachments

• enginehg 029 (Custom).jpg
    enginehg 029 (Custom).jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 603
  • enginehg 030 (Custom).jpg
    enginehg 030 (Custom).jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 600
Another new addition to the "untested" performance Head Gasket arena is Fel-Pro's new PermaTorqueMLS P/N 94328-1 .

Quote from above article:
Unlike other MLS head gaskets, Fel-Pro PermaTorqueMLS gaskets feature a proprietary aftermarket coating that accommodates a wider range of surface finishes than do other MLS gaskets. The PermaTorqueMLS design also allows for lateral and vertical motion of the cylinder head - caused by combustion pressures and extreme temperatures - without compromising sealing performance.

Many automotive engines are now factory-equipped with multi-layer steel head gaskets, which are able to provide long-term combustion and fluid sealing in spite of lighter-weight head and block castings and increased operating temperatures. Fel-Pro PermaTorqueMLS technology delivers a complete, durable seal in these challenging operating conditions and with less-than-perfect surface finishes.

Not that I'll be the first to try this one, but another option nonetheless :dsm:

I have heard very good things about the new felpro part. Although it has been on SBC and not DSM's, they work well on some pretty wicked stuff.

I personaly hate copper gaskets. Personally, ive had 2 fail. Ive also seen tons of people have tons of problems with them. The worst thing is that they will never believe you because thespent a gazillion dollars for the gasket, so it cant be bad.

Im running the cometic hp gasket. 22psi, no probs. Planning 30psi soon. Great gaskets!!!!

Are there any people out there that have had good results with this gasket. I am about ready to just go get the stock MLS gasket and call it a day. I looks like both the people above suffered from the same problem. Did both of you forget to retorque after the initial fire? I mean there as to be a reason why the gasket would fail like that for 2 people in a row.

P.S.
Great thread, and I am sorry to see that the gasket did not work for you guys.

GVR4592 said:
Did you use moly lube on the ARP studs? What was the surface finish(RA) of your block and cylinder head when using the MLS gasket? Did you have any detonation when your gaskets failed?

I used and did all of the above. All my block and head surfaces are smooth to the touch.

Attachments

• 304759.jpg
    304759.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 539
I have heard very good things about the sotck composite felpro part.

Do you guys think I am joking when I say I am running a 25$ POS Autozone HG? Just wondering.

I am being serious.

coltboostin said:
I have heard very good things about the sotck composite felpro part.

Do you guys think I am joking when I say I am running a 25$ POS Autozone HG? Just wondering.

I am being serious.
I believe you, and I'm going to put on one this time.

I have been running the ICS gasket for almost a year now. In that year I was working on my tune (basically still am) and exposed the HG to some good tests. I have hit 43 counts of knock, 25 PSI and have heated the coolant up to 220 deg due to a cooling fan fuse blow. Now I am running a steady 22 PSI on pump gas. In this year I have had no issue with the head gasket of any type. I do not belive that this is some sort of sales gimmick. Large companys with a good reputations are not in buisness for years because they keep putting out "sales gimmicks" its because their products perform. I cannot explain why some people have good luck with some types of HG and others do not. I do know that If I build another motor my first choice will be the Titan ICS.

wickedtsi said:
I have been running the ICS gasket for almost a year now. In that year I was working on my tune (basically still am) and exposed the HG to some good tests. I have hit 43 counts of knock, 25 PSI and have heated the coolant up to 220 deg due to a cooling fan fuse blow. Now I am running a steady 22 PSI on pump gas. In this year I have had no issue with the head gasket of any type. I do not belive that this is some sort of sales gimmick. Large companys with a good reputations are not in buisness for years because they keep putting out "sales gimmicks" its because their products perform. I cannot explain why some people have good luck with some types of HG and others do not. I do know that If I build another motor my first choice will be the Titan ICS.

My original plan was, and still is to run upwards of 30 psi. 10's in the 1/4 mile is my immediate goal.

Everyone for themselves I guess, and I will be sticking once again to the cliche' of, OEM HGs work best. No more new HG experiements for me :toobad:

One SCE Titan down :notgood:
It blew last night when I was making some final tuning changes. I am only running a 16G on C16 with less boost and timing than I have ran with turbos that flow almost 3 times as much. I can honestly say I had better luck with the standard SCE Coppers and Copper Coat.
I had a Cometic sitting on the shelf that went on toady. The instructions called for RA finish of 50. My block and head surfaces are much smoother than that so I shouldn't have any sealing problems. I am waiting for the car to cool down so I can retorque; then I am going out tonight on the same program I was running with the SCE to see what happens :thumb:

It blew. This is the second time we tried one. The first one would push coolant. This time the damn thing leaked between the head and block before startup. Head and block were decked this time. I double checked to make sure all were at 85ft/lbs. Made a pull at 23psi. Pushed water bad. We came back, retorqued to 110ft/lbs. Got boost up around 38-40psi(weren't logging just going by boost gauge(AEM 5.2bar map sensor with AEM)). Poor thing blew apart.

This is the same thing that happened to the cometic. It feel apart around the cylinders as well. We have had three cometics fail in the past. The ONLY thing that has ever held was a mitsubishi 4 layer or an HKS. We had a four layer and 3 coppers on the bench and thought we would try a copper again(they were given to us) seems as how the 4 layer had been thoroughly abused. The mitsu was in great shape but we thought we would give SCE one more chance.

My vote officially goes to Stock or HKS. Just for the record, the HKS has held over 40psi withoutu even trying. 4 layers as well, they just don't look as good upon tear down.

Steven

Update: retorqued the head last night and took it around for a little testing and no problems. Today I had the car out for 2 hours tuning again, running more boost and still no problems. However I did find a tuning flaw that I am sure caused the previous detonation.

project_tsi said:
I believe you, and I'm going to put on one this time.
I have "Poped" 2 of them on the dyno and both were @ 20psi, stay away from that and you should be fine.

I run a felpro HG on my Drag car and it has seen 30+PSI and has had no problems.......but the block is O-ringed too.:D

Precision said:
I have "Poped" 2 of them on the dyno and both were @ 20psi, stay away from that and you should be fine.

I run a felpro HG on my Drag car and it has seen 30+PSI and has had no problems.......but the block is O-ringed too.:D

i may just stay with a standard mls, or a hks, I dont have money to experiment, even though i wont be running over 22 lbs of boost ever, just for the piece of mind, I wont go crazy and Ill just stick with whats tried and true, just wondering what would be better a mitsu mls 4 layer, or cometic or hks...?

nightspeed87 said:
i may just stay with a standard mls, or a hks, I dont have money to experiment, even though i wont be running over 22 lbs of boost ever, just for the piece of mind, I wont go crazy and Ill just stick with whats tried and true, just wondering what would be better a mitsu mls 4 layer, or cometic or hks...?

Stock composite is tried and true.

Held up to 708whp,a nd never cried about it.

Any tips on making it survive that? Build-wise, not tuning :)

nightspeed87 said:
Yea I would stick with the mitsubishi mls as well. I will be using it as well if I need to. The HKS is a real nice head gasket but its very expensive over $200.

coltboostin said:
If your really concerned, have it O-ring'd. Then it will be 800whp tested. :sneaky:

The big secret is in the head torque....

So what is the secret old wise one? Curious minds would like to know if the instruction are correct......

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back