The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX Maintenance Fee

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sivl92

Probationary Member
Feb 3, 2012
Edmond, Oklahoma
Hi! I'm an international student and I just landed in Edmond, Oklahoma 4 weeks ago and I'm planning to buy a Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX. Before I do that, I wanted to ask whether the cost of maintaining an Eclipse GSX is high or low. Do I need to be always repairing it?

Expensive is a relative term, it will also depend on if you do the work yourself or take it to a shop.

For the most part, they are pretty cheap and fairly easy to work on.

I'm just afraid that after I buy it there will be a lot of problems with it and I'll need to use a lot just to work on it. Because I'm planning to modify it a little bit like, front mounted intercooler, a better intake, if the turbo is not in a good condition I'll change it, sway bars, brakes if needed, cat-back exhaust and repaint if needed.

So yea That's practically what I have in mind right now. I'm just afraid like as soon as I got it, things starts to break down and I'll need tons of cash to repair them.

Maybe you would be better off buying a new car with a warranty and leaving it stock. Older cars will break and they will cost money to fix; the more you modify/ enhance the performance the more risk you are taking of having it break.

So you want an DSM do you? Unless your already into the automotive mechanics, maintenance and repair world then, you would enjoying owning one of these cars. As for the cars "value" that is up to you to work out between you and the seller. Too anyone who wants to invest in a 20+ year old DSM and newer, needs to know it's going to cost to maintain because with age and mileage things "break down" and "wear out". It happens to every vehicle. Average cost of repair will reflect on the preventative maintenance that you get done as scheduled by the manufacturer. So, if they say do a timing belt at 60K miles, I will do mine at 55K miles because I know that part alone is critical to "maintain". You cannot skip maintenance, it has to be done if you want that car to last another 20 years. That is up to you if you want to invest money into a used vehicle, and you always risk the "luck" of finding a money pit if the previous owner had neglected the maintenance and repairs of that vehicle. Also, you may get "lucky" and find one in almost perfect condition even for a "used" car with that age, if the previous owner had "scheduled/completed required service intervals" like the manufacturer specified at each service interval. Scheduled checks are important and need to be done, and if done properly and timely your vehicle will last a long, long, long time, i.e at least an additional 20 years.

Parts are cheaper now than they ever have been if you ever wanted to own an DSM. There are more aftermarket parts than OEM parts now. You are on your own in finding a "shop" to get your car worked on. Unless you want to do the work yourself, I would suggest you take a course on "automotive technology" while your here, if you want to do all maintenance yourself. If you don't want to work on your car then finding a shop that specializes in "Imports" that does will save you allot of headaches when it breaks down.

Btw:

Welcome to the United States of America, which country are you here from? And you landed in the best spot in the nation to get to see a monster sized "tornado" pass right by you (hopefully) so get good "car" insurance while your here, your gonna need it.

Last edited:
Thx stars! I'm from Malaysia and I always dreamed of owning a DSM but there's just too much corruption and politics in my country and you can't own a modded DSM without having some cash in your pocket to prepare to bribe any cops that'll stop you suddenly

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back