The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support ExtremePSI

2G Keyless Entry/ key cylinder sensor?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crispyimmy

Probationary Member
Feb 24, 2021
Toronto, ON_Canada
Hey guys I have a 1997 GSX.
Since i've had the car, my driver side lock doesn't unlock via the lock buttons. The passenger side works fine. It will unlock/lock by using the driver/passenger side button, as well as lock the driver side lock when using the key on the passenger door. The driver side still doesn't unlock using this. You can also hear the "electric" command for door unlock when using the key on the passenger side.

Now when using the key on the driver side, i can only manually unlock/lock the driver side. It doesn't appear to send the signal to unlock/lock passenger side. Due to this, I think my driver side cylinder (sensor) is not working, and am looking to replace it.

Years ago, I purchased an ebay (OEM) key fob in attempts to get keyless entry, but using the 1-4 OBD ground, I never got the lock/unlock for programming mode to start. Today I finally checked the module in the quarter panel and noticed it was unplugged. Okay cool, so i plugged it in, but it did not change anything in terms of setting up programming mode.

One odd thing i noticed, when I do plug in the module, the driver side door immediately locks or unlocks (not exactly sure what is happening, but it does move). While it's plugged in, the driver side button no longer even locks the driver door. Also, the passenger side key doesn't unlock/lock it either. Passenger side still works the same. When it's not plugged in, the driver button again locks the door. My guess is that the driver lock cylinder sensor is in some sort of "stuck" position where it thinks the car is unlocked, so it allows it to lock? This only works when the module is unplugged. It also tries to lock every time I push lock, even though mechanically it is locked. When the module is plugged in, the driver side lock doesn't work electronically at all, but occasionally there is some winding up noise when I hold the driver side lock button while module is plugged in.

hopefully that's not too confusing, any advice?

Last edited:
yeah you will need to pull apart your door handle to acess the back side of the door handle. on the back side of the key cylinder there is a sensor that will sense when the lock cylinder is twisted and it will electronically unlock the drivers side and passengers side door

this little sensor clicks on the back of the door key cylinder that is on the door handle. if was installed backwards it will try to lock or unlock that door at all times and drain your battery in the process

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

yeah you will need to pull apart your door handle to acess the back side of the door handle. on the back side of the key cylinder there is a sensor that will sense when the lock cylinder is twisted and it will electronically unlock the drivers side and passengers side door

this little sensor clicks on the back of the door key cylinder that is on the door handle. if was installed backwards it will try to lock or unlock that door at all times and drain your battery in the process

i don't think it can be installed backward? and as far as i know, the driver/passenger side are identical. I know mine works because i did take it off and when i unlocked my car with the key, the alarm went off (since it didn't register the car being unlocked properly). I'm thinking my door actuator is dead in 1 direction - doesn't unlock. Also i have no battery issues and it doesnt seem to try to unlock/lock randomly.
Maybe mine only half works? And it registers the key unlock, but I'm not sure why it doesnt send/receive signal otherwise.

i don't think it can be installed backward? and as far as i know, the driver/passenger side are identical. I know mine works because i did take it off and when i unlocked my car with the key, the alarm went off (since it didn't register the car being unlocked properly). I'm thinking my door actuator is dead in 1 direction - doesn't unlock. Also i have no battery issues and it doesnt seem to try to unlock/lock randomly.
Maybe mine only half works? And it registers the key unlock, but I'm not sure why it doesnt send/receive signal otherwise.
uh so what is your theory. you plug in the module and all of a sudden you cant lock your door because.....? your drivers side lock actuator is bad? so now you unplug the radio module and you can lock the door because? maybe the car did use to have an aftermarket keyless entry or alarm and thats why the factory module is un plugged too

the switch being misaligned wont cause the doors to randomly lock and unlock, it will constantly cause them to try to stay locked or unlocked like you are saying happens with the drivers side door

your other solution is to check the factory service manual to find the wiring diagram for the door lock actuator. use a volt meter to test for a short to ground between the module and the actuator. the door lock actuators are a switched ground trigger source so a split in the line can cause the car to randomly lock or unlock. your actuators are working fine, they are receiving a bad signal from something

Www.charm.li <- free factory service manuals with wiring

Last edited:
also for future reference this ebay key fob remote for our cars has twice the range of our factory keyless remote. I could never get the factory key fob to do more than a foot away from the car before it would work, this ebay one gives you atleast 10 feet of range

uh so what is your theory. you plug in the module and all of a sudden you cant lock your door because.....? your drivers side lock actuator is bad? so now you unplug the radio module and you can lock the door because?

the switch being misaligned wont cause the doors to randomly lock and unlock, it will constantly cause them to try to stay locked or unlocked like you are saying happens with the drivers side door

your other solution is to check the factory service manual to find the wiring diagram for the door lock actuator. use a volt meter to test for a short to ground between the module and the actuator. the door lock actuators are a switched ground trigger source so a split in the line can cause the car to randomly lock or unlock. your actuators are working fine, they are receiving a bad signal from something

Www.charm.li <- free factory service manuals with wiring
no, i could never unlock the driver door. so its possibly 2 issues, 1 being a faulty actuator, and/or also having a bad signal for the unlock state. yeah I think i need to test voltage to the actuator in both directions and make sure voltage is coming from the harness to the actuator also.

how do you install the align the switch properly? Take it off and spin the notched part 180 degrees?
my security light does turn on when both doors are locked, I'm not sure if the key cylinder sensors (being locked) are what turn on the light, or some other way knowing the car is locked, but i guess if my sensor is misaligned to always "locked" that could be a cause. I did mess around with the sensor but i'll see if i can re-align it.

no, i could never unlock the driver door. so its possibly 2 issues, 1 being a faulty actuator, and/or also having a bad signal for the unlock state. yeah I think i need to test voltage to the actuator in both directions and make sure voltage is coming from the harness to the actuator also.

how do you install the align the switch properly? Take it off and spin the notched part 180 degrees?
my security light does turn on when both doors are locked, I'm not sure if the key cylinder sensors (being locked) are what turn on the light, or some other way knowing the car is locked, but i guess if my sensor is misaligned to always "locked" that could be a cause. I did mess around with the sensor but i'll see if i can re-align it.

usually its just hanging half way in the cylinder because one of the tabs is broken

usually its just hanging half way in the cylinder because one of the tabs is broken
Yeah this is annoying. When I plug in the module the driver door unlocks and I think tries to stay unlocked. You don't hear the actuator winding go back to rest position. It'll do some weird stuff once hitting the lock button I think it goes to "neutral" and then I think back to unlock position.

I know it's not going back to rest because when I only lightly plug in the module, once I pull the plug back out then I can hear it "wind back".

I checked the sensor and it perfectly went on the lock, I turned the key a couple times to make sure the notch was lined up in the sensor, and there is pretty much no lock ability once the module is plugged in.

Weird that it forces it to stay unlocked with the module plugged in but with it unplugged, it will lock electronically. Maybe the module has some damage. I'll take a look at that next 🥲

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back