The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support Rix Racing

Just looking for some extra eyes on my setup. Any glaring problems or missing links?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

illeagle92

Proven Member
Nov 1, 2013
Farmington, New_Hampshire
Hi guys. First real post since any question I've ever come up with, I've already found an answer to somewhere else. I'll be getting the block and head back from the machine shop this week/next and I really just wanted someone to lay eyes on my setup and let me know if I was completely missing anything.

I'm doing this off the top of my head so I apologize if I accidently left something out.

Basically I started with a quite bare 93 talon shell... then I found this 92 GSX that's a complete car that has been sitting for quite a while. There's a bottom end in there, and the pistons look good - not sure exactly what happened. Old owner claimed a dropped valve, but it doesn't look it. Thinking he just threw a head with a dropped valve on the car to sell it to my buddy - who I bought it from.

Anyway! instead of slapping on a head, I'm building the motor up a bit. My goal for this car (this setup) is 400 at the wheels/11.5 index. Oh.... on e85!

Bottom End
Starting with bare block +
Scat rods
Wesico 9.0:1 pistons
new bearings
balanced polished oem crank
Felpro Permatorque head gasket
arm headstuds
gates waterpump
all new cometic gaskets throughout engine (because kit)

Top End
Stock 6bolt head has been through the shop and all is well. Will be getting some 272 cams (kelford/delta)

Exhaust > Cooling > Intake
FP cast manifold
FP 20G

There's a nice exhaust on the car, just can't recall what it is
STM O2 dump

Punishment Racing FMIC (1G w/ jpipe and bov obv. prob use my stock bov)

GM Maf SD setup
1G intake manifold

Engine Management
DSMlink V3 (w/ SD setup)

Fuel System
looking for some ~1200cc injectors
aftermarket fuel fail
aeromotive fuel pressure regulator
walbro 450 (e85) fuel pump

Drivetrain
Stock trans/tcase - upgrading this next

I'm pretty sure I'm leaving things out. Thank in advance for any input.

Just something that stood out as a waste is the fuel rail. The shocker should easily get you up to those #s

Punishment Racing FMIC (1G w/ jpipe and bov obv. prob use my stock bov)

GM Maf SD setup

Engine Management
DSMlink V3 (w/ SD setup)

Fuel System
looking for some ~1200cc injectors
aftermarket fuel fail

The things listed are "problems".

First, with a 20G, you don't want a j-pipe. 20Gs are down firing turbos. leave that out.

Second, get a new BOV. Stock ones leak and all the crushing/modding is a pain in the ass.

You either have a MAF or run SD. Yuo don't need both. And don't waste your time trying to use a GM MAF to calibrate SD. You'll spend hours doing each that aren't worth it. If you are going to run SD, don't get a MAF.

If you plan on running E85, just spend the money and get FIC2150cc injectors. They seem to be the best you can get and you won't outgrow them anytime soon. They run well at E85 "low" PWs too.

Don't worry about an aftermarket fuel rail. Don't need it yet. Make sure your feed lines are upgraded and you have an aftermarket regulator.

The things listed are "problems".

First, with a 20G, you don't want a j-pipe. 20Gs are down firing turbos. leave that out.

Second, get a new BOV. Stock ones leak and all the crushing/modding is a pain in the ass.

You either have a MAF or run SD. Yuo don't need both. And don't waste your time trying to use a GM MAF to calibrate SD. You'll spend hours doing each that aren't worth it. If you are going to run SD, don't get a MAF.

If you plan on running E85, just spend the money and get FIC2150cc injectors. They seem to be the best you can get and you won't outgrow them anytime soon. They run well at E85 "low" PWs too.

Don't worry about an aftermarket fuel rail. Don't need it yet. Make sure your feed lines are upgraded and you have an aftermarket regulator.

Yes, you're right. I assumed it was needed. As far as BOV goes I have a new one that came with the IC. I'll probably use that.

I'm still reading on SpeedDensity, so SD requires only a map sensor and iat sensor?

Thanks for the words on the fuel, too. I really appreciate all the input.

Yes, you're right. I assumed it was needed. As far as BOV goes I have a new one that came with the IC. I'll probably use that.

I'm still reading on SpeedDensity, so SD requires only a map sensor and iat sensor?

Thanks for the words on the fuel, too. I really appreciate all the input.

What kind of BOV did you get?

SD requires only a MAP and IAT. Do you have eny experience with link or tuning in general? If not, maybe you should start with a MAF. The learning curve is less steep.

What kind of BOV did you get?

SD requires only a MAP and IAT. Do you have eny experience with link or tuning in general? If not, maybe you should start with a MAF. The learning curve is less steep.

It's just a Greddy knockoff. It's the style the piping is flanged for.

I won't be tuning it. But I have been trying to decide if I should go stock MAF or SD. Apparently the stock can handle up to about 500 hp, which I won't be hitting. You think I should just go that route or will I sacrifice a lot elsewhere if I go that way?

Stock maf senses pressure too, right? Unlike a SD setup?

Edit: nope, no experience with link or tuning myself

It's just a Greddy knockoff. It's the style the piping is flanged for.

I won't be tuning it. But I have been trying to decide if I should go stock MAF or SD. Apparently the stock can handle up to about 500 hp, which I won't be hitting. You think I should just go that route or will I sacrifice a lot elsewhere if I go that way?

Stock maf senses pressure too, right? Unlike a SD setup?

Edit: nope, no experience with link or tuning myself

Stock 1G MAF will NOT handle 500 horsepower. Here is a link to MAF frequency limits. maffrequencylimits

Who is going to be tuning the car? If it isn't you, I'd recommend asking them what they prefer.

And no, a MAF doesn't sense pressure. It measures airflow.

^^^^ I second this! Valve springs and retainers are a cheap investment to avoid valve float. I'm running Delta 264/272 cams with Manley springs and retainers, great combo. As for tuning, run SD and DSMLink. Then you can get around having to recirculating your BOV.

Stock 1G MAF will NOT handle 500 horsepower. Here is a link to MAF frequency limits. maffrequencylimits

Who is going to be tuning the car? If it isn't you, I'd recommend asking them what they prefer.

And no, a MAF doesn't sense pressure. It measures airflow.

Xenocron. He's good with SD so I think I'm going to go that route.

I would get some springs and retainers with those cams too.

^^^^ I second this! Valve springs and retainers are a cheap investment to avoid valve float. I'm running Delta 264/272 cams with Manley springs and retainers, great combo. As for tuning, run SD and DSMLink. Then you can get around having to recirculating your BOV.

I was thinking about this. The shop said the head is holding pressure just fine. I know the insurance here would be nice though. If they already checked out the head can I send it back to them with springs and retainers to install? No problem? Or am I going to pay more labor all over again because they'll have to recheck everything?

I'm going to do SD. Just seems like the better option right now.

I noticed you are using/plan on using weisco 9.0:1 pistons... I'm running those.

What I've read AND found out on my own is that the skirt of those pistons come VERY close, if not touches the oil squirters. I would check this and give them a little tweak either way.

I simply used a map gas torch, gave them some heat, and GENTLY gave them a little bend away from the skirt.

I noticed you are using/plan on using weisco 9.0:1 pistons... I'm running those.

What I've read AND found out on my own is that the skirt of those pistons come VERY close, if not touches the oil squirters. I would check this and give them a little tweak either way.

I simply used a map gas torch, gave them some heat, and GENTLY gave them a little bend away from the skirt.

I was not aware of this, thank you! I haven't ordered the pistons and rods yet, was going to next week or so. Thank for the heads up.

No problem. But I hope this doesn't shy you away from them. I've run them for 30k+ miles and haven't had a single issue with them, or with the oil squirters being hit.

Like I said, on my build they JUST touched, so I figured with thermal expansion, it'd be a safe bet to tweak the squirters.

Also keep in mind, these were ordered like at least 5 years ago. Idk if the pistons have been updated or not since then. Just some food for thought....

No problem. But I hope this doesn't shy you away from them. I've run them for 30k+ miles and haven't had a single issue with them, or with the oil squirters being hit.

Like I said, on my build they JUST touched, so I figured with thermal expansion, it'd be a safe bet to tweak the squirters.

Also keep in mind, these were ordered like at least 5 years ago. Idk if the pistons have been updated or not since then. Just some food for thought....

They may have. I can't find a ton of info about it. I'll def check when everything is put together.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back