The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

1G intermittent misfire on 1G 6bolt

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DCGuerrette89

10+ Year Contributor
Aug 24, 2011
Terryville, Connecticut
ok so i did my head gasket (thank you guys again for all the help on that). now im running into an intermittent missfire issue and its buggin the crap outta me:banghead:. i can start the car and it will run fine and other times i can start it and it seems to be running on two cylinders but all my wires are firing and i think my injectors are too. i wiggle all my wires and main harness and nothing changes. today alone i went 20mi to school fine 20mi home fine start up at my house to go to work runs like crap leave work runs fine go to get smokes leave the store runs like crap i dont get it and im almost ready to give up:notgood:

is it possible that i have a bad cat becuase im having a complete loss of power when this happens

I am havign the same exact problem on my 2g, its killing me and ive replaced everything

more info required, kinda.

oversized injectors will cause this as well.
Bad maf will cause this ( although other things would be wrong before then ).
dying caps will cause this.
bad grounds can cause this.
bad spark plug wires can cause this.
bad spark pulgs or once with too large of a gap....

so i have all new plug wires my old plugs r still gaped fine. what is CAS sorry? and im noticing that its happening when i shut the car off when its warm and starting it back up before it compleatly cools down or if im driving for a while then it will start so its somthing when the car gets up to temp

Im with Gufi on this... Because it's an intermittent problem and it's electrical it sounds like a grounding problem to me. I've had a few different cars that had the subaru sound and one of them it was because the new injectors i had installed had clear coat on the harness pins and once that was removed the car ran the way it was supposed to, but every other time it was ignition related. If the spark is weak enough it might not be igniting the gas, but usually if you have the subaru sound it's because you have an entire coil that's not working (i.e. running on 2 cylinders). the only other thing i can think of is the ignition control module is maybe taking a crap but still works sometimes. I dont know how prone to failure they are in these cars yet but i've heard some people say they fail.

based on my experience with leaking caps, i'm less inclined to believe it's that because my car either ran or it didnt run, but when it did run it never sounded like a subaru. I mainly just had problems keeping it running or getting it to idle. I'm thinking ground or ICM. Are all the ground wires hooked up everywhere? Grounding strap to intake, bellhousing grounded? etc?

all my grounds are hooked up except the one to the exhaust pipe but that hasent been hooked up sense i got the car and it ran fine with out it. i think i did find the issue tho ### today at school it would not start i had no spark. i check the coil resistances and they were ok i found so issue while testing the 4pin connector for the coil and the 5pin power transmitter. and it sound just like a subi when it does it

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back