The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support STM Tuned

Installing a turbo 4g63 into an nt 4g63

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hey guys,
i already have a turbo 2g it crankwalked so i'm getting a N/T 4g63 6-bolt and swapping in all my turbo parts( manifolds/turbo/cams/2g pistons/ inyectors etc) One quick question will the N/T 4g63 engine produce the same amounts of horsepower as the turbo? Will it handle the same amount of HP? have the same potential?

As far as i know it's the same as a 6-bolt turbo engine but withput turbo components but the block head rods are the same so withh all the turbo parts in there it should be the same as a turbo, is it? i need some real fact answer here. Any drawbacks?

As far as I know w/ the research Ive done on this site. the N/T block w/ all ur turbo internals and externals should be capable of the same amount of power. Im not sure how much it will make a difference in the power perspective but the N/T block does not have the oil squirters that splash the bottums of the pistons w/ oil to help cool em. Also the N/T block does not have a knock sensor which can be a necesity if u dont have another way to monitor knock in your motor. You will also have to have the 1g rods machined to fit the 2g pistons. Other than those things i dont recall there being any other differences. I could be wrong though. Good Luck :talon: :thumb:

you've pretty much got it as far as the basic lower end goes, however there is a bung in place already tapped for the knock sensor.

Ok, one question, bringing this back from the dead. You talk about the option of swapping harnesses from the Turbo car to the non-turbo, wouldn't it be possible to just swap the engine harness, and leave the rest of the wiring alone, or is this what you meant in the first place?

4Bangin said:
Ok, one question, bringing this back from the dead. You talk about the option of swapping harnesses from the Turbo car to the non-turbo, wouldn't it be possible to just swap the engine harness, and leave the rest of the wiring alone, or is this what you meant in the first place?

Theres wiring in the dash that connects to the factory boost gauge. I think theres 1 or 2 plug connectors that wont hook up. (NT harness to turbo harness in the dash) Thats why I pulled the entire wiring harness, engine harness back from a 90 gst for my conversion.

4Bangin said:

that is what i meant, you can leave the brake lights and other bs alone. as far as the turbo boost guage goes, i just left my nt cluster in since the tach is a little bigger and got an autometer boost guage that actually shows me something instead of just making shit up like the stocker.

keep this thread up :thumb:

guys,im having clutch decision issues..i got cash to spend (the Euro is at an all time high w00t!!) which clutch shoud i get.. ishould i get a turbo stock clutch? is the flywheel the same? or go aftermarket clutch or an aftermarket clutch and flywheel combo??(cheapest possibiltly is my favorite)

i doubt the clutch is the same, i'm guessing you could order a clutch for a 1993-1994 1g 2.0 nt and it should work out the same.

Okay I got a few more questions, I got the motor in, no problems there, but when I went to wire things up, I noticed a few differences in the plug connections.

I swapped in a motor from a 90 TSi AWD into a 92 N/T Talon. There are four connections I cannot figure out.

There are two connectors on the timing belt side of the motor, on the back, one is long and skinny, the other is kind of square plug (looks like they might be for the coil packs), however my stock wiring does not connect to these, and the plug that would connect to the square plug is triangular shaped. Any suggestions.

Also, my throttle body does not have a connection for the plug on the N/T wiring harness, and the plug for the (I dont know the name of it, so bear with me) Round Metal thing attached to the cam, on the tranny side is completely different. Any suggestions with those either. Or should I just be looking into swapping my whole TSi harness?

change to a post-91 throttle body and coil pack.they are different from 90 and 91-94.

The wiring issues you're having stem from the fact that you broke one of the swapping rules I laid out that said if you're going to use a motor from a 1990 only put it into a 1990 car. The wiring on a 1990 as far as ignition and the tb and cam sensor are totally different from a 1991-1994 vehicle. Since you already have it done your best bet would be to use the ignition parts off of your 1992 2.0 nt motor as well as the cam sensor from it as well. The throttle body will either need re-wired or simply sold to another dsm'er so you can purchase a used 1991 and newer turbo tb.

Yeah, I guess I missed that. So if I swap out the 90 Coil Pack for the 92, rewire the 92 harness for the cam angle sensor for my 1990 Cam Angle sensor, and swap out the 90 Throttle Body for the 92 N/T Throttle body, will I be in good shape. This is what I was thinking would work, but your opinions would be much appreciated.

4Bangin said:
Yeah, I guess I missed that. So if I swap out the 90 Coil Pack for the 92, rewire the 92 harness for the cam angle sensor for my 1990 Cam Angle sensor, and swap out the 90 Throttle Body for the 92 N/T Throttle body, will I be in good shape. This is what I was thinking would work, but your opinions would be much appreciated.

use the ignition parts from your nt motor
use the cam sensor from your nt motor
sell the 90 tb and either buy a 92 turbo throttle body (best option) or rebuild the seals in the nt one you have and build a custom upper intercooler pipe for it (nobody makes one for the nt tb)

also be aware that you'll need a 1991+ turbo ecu to run the car as well.

the only way to run the 1990 parts on your 1992 would be to rewire everything using some tips from http://www.ecanfix.com/users/mdhamilton/

4Bangin said:
I just swapped the whole harness, wasn't that difficult, I should have done that in the first place.

That is most definitely the easiest way to get it done. :thumb:

4Bangin said:
I just swapped the whole harness, wasn't that difficult, I should have done that in the first place.

Did you swap the engine harness from a 90 tsi into a 92 nt? My cars currently wired 91 style engine harness back to accomadate my motor. I have my complete 90 gst wiring engine harness back laying in a box. If the engine harness will plug directly into the dash harness this will be awesome. Did you have any connectors not hook up in the dash or did you swap everything?

Thats exactly what I came across when I went to plug my 91 engine harness into my 90 dash harness. I didnt know what to do so just pulled the rest (dash all the way back to the tails) outta the 91 and put it in. Let me know if you find a way around this, or what you do.

Only thing electrical wise that dont work on my car is the reverse lights :confused:

*UPDATE* Wiring fix for swapping 90 Turbo into 91-94 Car

Okay, so I finished the wiring it was fairly simple. Overall there were two connectors that were different sizes from the 90 engine harness to the 91-94 interior harness, however the wires were all the same color so repinning the connectors was a breeze. The two connectors in question, it was the larger of the three connectors that connect on the passenger side kick panel, the 90 harness had 16 wires coming out of it, 4 of which were for Cruise Control (Blue/Orange, Blue/Red, Blue/Yellow, and Blue/Black). However, my 92 was not equipped with cruise control, so I disregarded those. There was also a connector that connected near the ECU that ran under the dash. There was also one more wire on the 90 engine harness than the 92 interior harness, I traced it back and I believe it was for my stock alarm, which I also don't have on my 92 so I disregarded that wire as well, it was Blue/Red. Now with this connector the wiring was the same color on both harnesses, but the plugs were in different configurations, so you will need to make sure you are repinning the wires in the correct order.

Here is how I repinned the connectors. I took a piece of paper and a pen, and wrote down the location the wires were at on the N/T engine harness, then there are two clips on each side of the harness. Take a small screw flathead screwdriver or whatever works and unclip the clips, which will allow you to slide the piece holding the wires in place out. Then I took a very, very small Allen wrench, and ground done the end so it was flat. If you look into the connector from the side that plugs in there are very small plastic clips that hold the pins secure, you will need to take this special tool and pop the plastic clip out of the pin, then pull the wire out. I did this to both of these connectors on both the 90 engine harness, and the 92, then replaced the 90 connector with the 92 while following my layout that I wrote down prior to taking the wires out. This allows for a simple plug in operation, rather than sodering and heatshrinking each individual wire.

Sorry this is so long winded, I hope it makes sense. If you have any questions feel free to pm me, or ask here.

They were all the same color on both sides of the harnesses for both the 90 Turbo and the 92 N/T, so while possible it would be pretty messed up of Mitsubishi to run the same color wire from one side of a connector to another but have them be for different things.

Will do, gotta check the timing and then install my TSi fuel pump and start her up. I feel like I have been working on this forever, but over the past 2 weeks Ive probably only put 10-15 hours into it. Pretty simple swap, almost as easy as a Honda swap.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back