The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

How to make a FIAV block off plate.

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Well Boys and girls I have decided today that I was not going to purchase a FIAV block off plate but make one myself.

Materials:

1/8 inch steel.
5 (m5) small bolts I think 30 thread
5 (m5) lock washers
91-94 throttle body
Drill (drill Press works better)
table grinder or file
hacksaw

Step one:

Take off the Throttle body from the car and beging to tear the bottom of the throttle body off.

Step two.

I used the bottom of the throttle body (with ISC removed to make it easier) and trace around the piece of steel for an out line

Step three:

Begin to cut the metal until its shape. Make sure to use the file the sharp edges off.

Step Four:

After I got the steel into the shape that I wanted. I put the FIAV (bottom of throttle body) on top and used a punch to mark were I needed to drill for the holes.

Step Five:

Sorry I can not remember the SAE size of the drill bit. But I drilled the holes so that you can mount the the block off plate to the bottom of the throttle body.

Step Six:

Use the file agian to get the burrs out of the holes.

Step Seven:

Clean the Block off plate with brake cleaner or carb Cleaner

Step Eight:

Paint the block off paint with engine paint to protect it and make it look cool ( the only hi temp paint I had was Chevy red)

Step Nine:

Use throttle body or Carb Cleaner and clean the throttle body make sure its clean of any particles.

Step Ten:

I reused my old gasket between the FIAV and Throttle body but I also put a thin layer of copper RTV for some added protection.

Step Eleven:

Install your new bolts into the holes with lock washers

Step Twelve:

Marvel what you have done while you wait 24 hours for the RTV to cure.

Im pretty happy with what I have done. Its pretty cool idea and real cheap. Plus you get to play with power tools. :)

Here are some photos.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

this is the bottom of the throttle body. Make sure its real clean.

FIAV

Installing the bolts.

The two bolts that hold the ISC on are the same thread pitch that you need. I just put that one in to show you!

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back