The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support STM Tuned

Help me identify this motor ###.

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bob123131

15+ Year Contributor
Dec 20, 2004
winona, Minnesota
So i work at a shop as just a tire tech, but i know alot of people. This guy offered me a 97 spyder convertable with 88k miles. I'm like ok maybe he just sent me pics on my phone it has a 16 valve dual over head cam engine thats not any dsm motor. It has a turbo on the intake side below the manifold timing is on the driver side, looks like has headers from exhaust side. I can't look at it now for more info but im getting a one time option of picking this up at 8:00 am so any help or options would be great. He believes it is a gx68 bored three over but i cant find any engine is could be. If anyone wants a 98 spyder with this motor and no title let me know. I will have documentation that it is legit. Only problem is it was built as a show car so rag top is gone, and i will be likely taking bodykit.

It has a turbo on the intake side below the manifold timing is on the driver side, looks like has headers from exhaust side.
I would like to see a turbo car that spools off of the intake side and runs headers, please post a pic of the engine bay.

From what you described I'm assuming you meant the turbo/exhaust side of the motor is where our intake is normally located? If thats the case I know the Dodge SRT-4's have a similar setup.

:dsm:

Do you have a picture of it?

Edit: Gofer beat me to it haha

no i only have phone pics, guy is bringing the car around early in the morning. It has a four cylinder motor that sits further over to the driver side than any motor put in eclipse i have seen. I believe this was ment to me a show car so whatever this motor is may be something cool. It is turbo according to the owner/mechanic so i assume they at least know if its turbo or not. The pictures i got on my phone show it has headers, i asked i thought it was turbo? He replies not sure whats up but the turbo is on the intake side. I can clearly see headers. I can see the cold air intake coming from about middle of the block out from behind it with what looks to be a gm mas in the middle. The valve cover is skinnier than an eclipse one appears to be relatively flat. Water neck is around the same spot as a dsm but points more towards the passenger side. If you message me your cell i can send you the pic.

For 2200 bucks im afraid to ask to many questions to the guy incase im getting a crazy steal. I can't decide if i should buy it if anyone wants a spyder shell with no rag top for cheap shoot me a price and that would be enough to get me to buy itl

no i only have phone pics, guy is bringing the car around early in the morning. It has a four cylinder motor that sits further over to the driver side than any motor put in eclipse i have seen. I believe this was ment to me a show car so whatever this motor is may be something cool. It is turbo according to the owner/mechanic so i assume they at least know if its turbo or not. The pictures i got on my phone show it has headers, i asked i thought it was turbo? He replies not sure whats up but the turbo is on the intake side. I can clearly see headers. I can see the cold air intake coming from about middle of the block out from behind it with what looks to be a gm mas in the middle. The valve cover is skinnier than an eclipse one appears to be relatively flat. Water neck is around the same spot as a dsm but points more towards the passenger side. If you message me your cell i can send you the pic.

For 2200 bucks im afraid to ask to many questions to the guy incase im getting a crazy steal. I can't decide if i should buy it if anyone wants a spyder shell with no rag top for cheap shoot me a price and that would be enough to get me to buy itl
I would love to see it.

:dsm:

Last edited:
Sorry to bust the bubble for everyone guy just got me better pictures and i guess the service tech at a shop not to be named is an idiot. It is just the old standard lancer motor with headers. Sorry to let everyone down.

me too LOL, but i can still get it cheap if anyone wants a spyder with the lancer motor running 88k miles. I could ###### do it for 1200 with no title. He should have everything about how it was under lean and bought it at a liquidation sale. So you should be able to get a title. Body is primered ready for paint.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back