The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

halo stopped working

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Misterio

15+ Year Contributor
Mar 16, 2004
pittsburg, Texas
I bought some 97-99 halo projector headlights off ebay and a couple of days later one of my halo's started blinking like a strobe then it went out. I had spliced it into the corner light with black tape and I noticed the wires had gotten wet. The corner light still works but the halo does not. Is there any way to fix this?

Maybe a bulb on the halo?
Please help me.

Thanks!

I think the halos are powered by an LED, it probably shorted out with the wetness.

Take a look at the LED, or the resistor (if any) and next time use some heat shrink instead of tape.

I seriously doubt that water in the wire splice had anything to do with the failure. All the angel eyes I've seen inside the lights are LEDs and should have the proper current dropping resisitor installed inside the unit. I had the same problem out of the box on a set I just got. They LEDs in mine were only pulling 20mA which should be very safe. Unfortunately, it appears they are using dirt cheap LEDs in these aftermarket halos and failure is common. You have to split the lights aparts to get in and repair them. Not an easy task. You could add an additional resistor on the wire before you plugged into the corner lights but that would make them dimmer.

Review and pics of ebay projector light dis-assembled
http://www.rcaz.com/rcaz/sub indexes/ebayprojectorheadlamps/index.htm

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

thats the exact same headlights I have, hmm they must be cheap. So the bulbs are gone, what do i need to go buy at radioshack before I start tearing my headlight apart? (LED size/number) etc

what was your steps to taking it apart and putting it back together? I dont want a leaky headlight ;-(

thanks!

mine burnt out also after a month.

id didnt care anyways, you cant see the halo if the lights are on because the halo is around the low beam(whos bright idea was that?). only time you could tell they had halos is when just the parking lights were on(cause thats where i had the halos running from).

Welcome to my world. One of mine went up after 2 weeks. try to buy OEM next time, that's what i'm gonna do.

Defiant said:
And best of luck finding OEM halo lights. WTF

I ment just OEM lights i know there are no OEM halos. I really never wanted halos to begin with but they are cheaper then OEM. Since they were in the headlights i bought i figured why not wire them in? Next time I'm just gonna buy OEM headlights.

I really wanted projector halo headlights, but after reading multiple threads the last thing I want to do now is dump $300 into some plastic crap that is going to leak and steam up and have the bulbs burn out after 2 weeks. I think I'll save up for some 2gb headlights or wait until something better comes along. :confused:

n0c7 said:
I really wanted projector halo headlights, but after reading multiple threads the last thing I want to do now is dump $300 into some plastic crap that is going to leak and steam up and have the bulbs burn out after 2 weeks. I think I'll save up for some 2gb headlights or wait until something better comes along. :confused:

i have some 120 dollar projectors on my car the guy traded for my stock ones...said these were fogging up alot and stuff...so I baked em , cleaned em and re-sealed everything they work greak and look awsome. pic in gallery. no complaints after i redid them my way im also thinking about makin my own halo..well see

Hey, i know this is an old post but i need help with the halo projectors i just installed.. well most of everything works except one of my halos.. wired the halos for parking lights.. so i'm gonna try and follow some of the info in here.. but i have a question.. do i have to bake the headlight to get the projectors apart?? has someone fixed their halo before that can give me a little help?? thanks. :thumb:

Man guys. Sorry for all the bad luck your all having. I only paid $100 for a pair of my Halo lamps and mine look and work great!

My only deal is that they are TOO bright. I get flashed all the time.

I ended up with the eBay special projectors myself. I had a hell of a time getting the right side to fit, took about 1.5 hours whereas the left side was a direct fit. They are also way brighter than the stock in my opinion. The halos havent burnt out yet, but they have only been on the car for a few weeks and I don't really drive my Eclipse that much anymore.

I'm thinking about buying some halos but I really want quality and something that wont burnout on me in a couple of months has anyone had some experience with good halo head lights or suggestions

jamboy2003 said:
I'm thinking about buying some halos but I really want quality and something that wont burnout on me in a couple of months has anyone had some experience with good halo head lights or suggestions

Me!!! I mean, to be honest mine are fairly new still, however, they still work and look fantastic!!!!

Knock on wood about the working part. :D Don't want to jinx myself.

I've had mine for a year and a half with no problems at all. Also, when installing them, solder the connections and put liquid rubber around the connection. Then some electrical tape on top of that. That way you don't have to worry about moisture.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back