The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

Got a new DSM

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AK Maniak

10+ Year Contributor
Jul 9, 2009
Butte, Montana
So after months of searching and searching for another DSM I finally found one.
I picked up a 95 TSI AWD that is 100% bone stock and has 72k original miles.

I will be building it over the winter, but I wanna enjoy it for the summer before I start tearing into it.

Oh and has anyone done an auto to 5 speed swap, or is at least familiar with what is involved in the process. I've been doing my research but I feel that this project is a bit beyond my experience level. Anyone help and or advice would be greatly appreciated.

It's not letting me post the same pics in multiple threads so here is the original thread.

http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/hangout/439236-finally-got-new-dsm.html

Nice car I saw that on cl. Wasn't he asking like 4k or so originally ? You did get a great deal and nice looking car. You live off Muldoon close N.lights looks like complex my friend lives in, their unit is backed up to Muldoon. I've been looking little at some of the Fords also. They have come along way, my friend just got a 2013 Taurus SHO, that thing is amazing, wish I had an extra 45k laying around. Good luck with your swap, should be fun.Although I'm a auto fan myself, getting tired of shifting. LOL

I actually live off lake Otis, by Tudor. There are duplex's exactly like the one I live in right off northern lights by Muldoon. Owned by the same company as the one I live in, that's why they look identical. And ya he asked 4k for it but I talked him down a bit. This car is clean as hell and I'm having a blast driving a DSM again.
When's the next DSM meet?!

So this might sound pathetic but I feel a bit overwhelmed. The first thing I want to do is all the maintenance but I don't know where to start. I have a chiltons and have been skimming through it but I still feel a bit lost. My main concern is that I don't want to screw anything up. The extent of my knowledge and experience is changing the oil. Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

I think I have the factory 2g manual on a cd if you would like have a copy. Yeah seems like someday we should have a meet, I know its been talked about a few times.

I think I have the factory 2g manual on a cd if you would like have a copy. Yeah seems like someday we should have a meet, I know its been talked about a few times.

Ya I seemed to have misplaced mine; I might have to steal yours for a bit.

If you could help me improve my to do list I would appreciate it. Here is what I plan on doing so far:
Timing belt
Water pump
oil & oil filter
spark plugs gapped to .28
transmission fluid (diff fluid as well?)

This is a basic guideline for swapping automatic to manual.

You'll need:
Clutch pedal assembly
Shifter assembly
Shifter cables
Master cylinder
Line that runs from master cylinder to slave cylinder
Manual transmission (duh LOL)
A flywheel (auto cars have a flexplate)
A new clutch is advised also

I don't know off hand about 2g cars and the ecu/tcu but I'm pretty sure something like that will require some investigation.

I'd say the hardest part would be swapping out your pedal assembly to the clutch setup. It's a pretty tight space under there, and you will have to remove/disassemble all kinds of fun stuff to get that thing installed. You'll also have to cut your firewall (there should be a stamped area) to install the master cylinder. After that, besides any ecu/tcu issues, it should be a snap (if you are experienced with wrenching on these cars).

Like I said before, this isn't an all inclusive list. There's probably a few things I'm not thinking of, and I only have experience with 1g cars. Do a search, you'll be amazed at what you can find with a little effort.

I think your on right track, I would change almost all fluids. Just safe bet, I always do just for peace of mind. Coolant,all diffs,and others you stated. I would also do thermostat and fuel filter. Let me know if want borrow the disc.

I can't remember but does the disc show more than say a Chilton does?

As far as the 5 speed swap, I'm gonna accumulate parts and then just go for it. I'm not experienced whatsoever with wrenching on any cars. This is all new to me LOL. All I can do is change the oil. My dad keeps telling me to just bring it somewhere but I refuse to pay someone to do it for me. I won't learn anything from that.

I'm sure I have a long road ahead but this isn't my DD and i'm willing to do the work on it till I get it right. The thing that has me nervous is the timing belt. I feel like if i'm going to screw up that its going to be while i'm attempting that. Oh well though, there is only one way to find out.

Yes the factory manual shows a lot more, plus I would trust the factory manual to be more accurate.

Yes the factory manual shows a lot more, plus I would trust the factory manual to be more accurate.

I tore my house apart looking for my disc and I couldnt find it. So if you don't mind I'd like to borrow it and I'll just burn a copy of it so I can get it back to you shortly.
Let me know when you get a chance and maybe we can meet up. Always nice to chat with another dsmer In Alaska.

Hey I am glad to help as much as I can. If you are going to change your fluids go Redline! There is only 1 vendor I know of in Alaska. He is in Palmer, kind of a home business on the side but they are really friendly people and have a huge shop with some bad a** cars in it. If you want to buy locally.

"This guy carries full line Redline. He's in Palmer but I was able meet him in Anchorage last time I needed some Redline stuff. Home
907-322-8224 I think I actually have some left as well from when I was going to do my Talon but ended up using BG Synchroshift. When I get home I'll post if I have would love get rid of it. My new talon an automatic."

Taken from this thread http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/anchorage-area-dsm-forum/409068-redline-fluids.html

To add to your list if its just a maintenance list not performance I would suggest

NGK wires,
balance shaft belt
a/c belt
p/s belt
alternator belt
all new tenssioners
do a BLT

If you are going to be doing this your self I have the "Special Tools" for doing the timing job and what not to make it easier. I am more than willing to lend them to you if you would like.

That was from my reply and I still have that Redline stuff if you or anyone else is interested. I still have no need for it.

That was from my reply and I still have that Redline stuff if you or anyone else is interested. I still have no need for it.

Thanks for all the help guys.

I leave for the slope tomorrow but when I get back I'll probably hit you up for the redline stuff.

I'm excited because I'm just gonna be spending money as I make it and ordering parts online when I'm up there haha.

If anyone wants to help me feel free to come over because idk WTF i'm doing LOL. Beer will be provided.

Sure just let me know if want it, I'm sure its not going any where. I was just up in Deadhorse today, glad I didn't have stay but one day. Was nice though, except the mosquitos were unbelieveably bad.

Haha ya they are horrible. I'm over on Kuparuk side but it is just as bad here. They fly in your mouth LOL

i think they're just bad everywhere, willow is having the worst case of skeeters i've seen in 5 years LOL got 4 traps running for the last month and still they're all over the place. If you're ever up this way(fishing hunting or whatever your fancy) i may not have a garage but i have plenty of tools and a little experience\advice worth about .02 that i'd be more than willing to share with a fellow auto-enthusiast :)

Little trick I learned up on the slope is that if you rub fabric softeners on your clothes it keeps the mosquito's away quite well.

Little trick I learned up on the slope is that if you rub fabric softeners on your clothes it keeps the mosquito's away quite well.

Based on the fact that my FB feed has been blown up by pictures of a nasty S4, and we were just talking about your 95, I'd have to assume this is Lance. If you need a hand doing any of the maintenance, lemme know. Or anything else for that matter. Did you already start tearing it apart for your build, or still driving it?

Based on the fact that my FB feed has been blown up by pictures of a nasty S4, and we were just talking about your 95, I'd have to assume this is Lance. If you need a hand doing any of the maintenance, lemme know. Or anything else for that matter. Did you already start tearing it apart for your build, or still driving it?

Is that you yaskus?! I was driving it up until I left which was about a week ago. I need to make up my mind as to what the hell I should do to it and what I should do first.
Aside from actual performance mods I plan on doing a full 2gb Eclipse conversion. So it will need to be painted and I don't want to half ass it.
I also want to do a 5 speed swap.
In regards to performance I can't make up my mind as to how far I want to build it. I originally was planning on doing a 20g, then I wanted an HTA68, and now I'm considering an FP Green. I can't decide.

As of right now I don't have any parts except for a thermal catback and an FP race manifold. Only reason I got those was because they were on sale.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back