The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

Galant VR-4 Restoration #129/1458

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

For this weeks "Motor Monday" we learning how to rebuild a throttle body. I've covered this before in my 2G build thread in a bit of detail, but I'll post it here again.
srfrK6.jpg

First thing up we did was separate the FIAV from the TB.
DcM13L.jpg

Next thing is to remove the butterfly screws. If you've never done this you can't just back them out b/c they are peened over on the backside.
kOmw1o.jpg

You need to take a dremel with a small grinding bit on it and remove the peened "mushroom".
Psr5PJ.jpg

Next, you need to get yourself a good JIS screwdriver. If you don't know what I'm talking about - Google it. Most of the Mitsu screws look like Phillips heads, but they're not - they're a Japan-spec JIS head. They come out without stripping the head much better with the correct driver. Once you back both out you can slide the butterfly valve out.
KRI8h2.jpg

Next we put a line on the throttle spring so we now how many times to coil it when we put it back together.
NgHFBO.jpg

Remove the 12mm and the springs will pop off.
qp5Vdr.jpg

Flip the TB over and you can carefully slide the whole shaft out.
GW8YRR.jpg

And here we have arrived at the whole purpose of doing this. - replacing the shaft seals. You can see here this shaft seal is shot as it's deteriorated.
6tv9Gq.jpg

Also removed the BISS screw just to take a peek at the BISS o-ring. Looks toasted as well.
7oDfBr.jpg

Last, gave my son the job of cleaning things up a bit and taping it off for tape.
vF45JG.jpg

Taped off.
cwP0Sh.jpg

Then we went inside and ordered everything we need for the rebuild from Extreme. Should be here in a few days.

Man ... this month has flown by. Our stuff from Extreme came in a couple days after order and we got right back to work on the TB.
UiFb8q.jpg

Obviously, what we were most interested in were the shaft seals.
hLsEJR.jpg

Take a look at these old ones:
bY8Aeg.jpg

My son did a nice job cleaning the TB up and hitting it with a fresh coat of paint.
tLR7yB.jpg

Once the old shaft seals were out we were able to pop the new ones in by just tapping on them lightly with a 12mm socket.
seY7z5.jpg

K2WzN4.jpg

Then we were able to put the butterfly value (Throttle plate) back in and bolt it down with some red thread locker.
rjhpWp.jpg

With the throttle body just about back together, it was time to start thinking about the intake manifold again. Back in Post #71 we had soaked it in degreaser to get it all cleaned up and ready for reinstall.
B8o5sK.jpg

IL45SI.jpg

Time to find the intake manifold gasket.
CHjHKq.jpg

Got it!
Zu8fBE.jpg

Mitsu provides 3 studs for it to hang on, the rest are 14mm bolts.
kRN15y.jpg

Bolted down!
CKkp12.jpg

We've been doing a lot on the top of the engine lately, but we still needed to button up a few things on the underside. So, today we flipped it over.
9jMEad.jpg

First, the oil pan had been epoxy coated in a primer, but it still needed some paint. So we popped that off to paint.
TeUr30.jpg

Don't judge the oil pan too quickly, it looks bad b/c it's wet.
6ISpdP.jpg

While the oil pan dries, we started working on the things yet to be done. We still needed to mount the pick-up tube.
vUQiMi.jpg

I cleaned out really good with a can a brake clean and mounted it up.
qE82VJ.jpg

And we still needed to mount the rear main seal. Cleaned up the housing a bit.
jAEwCb.jpg

Put a nice thin coat of RTV around the housing.
51RbO0.jpg

Tapped in the seal w/ a large socket and plastic hammer.
49jutC.jpg

Here's what it looks like from the front.
wbI3BZ.jpg

Don't forget the oil ring, hole down.
RgWSV7.jpg

Torqued the rear main seal down to 96 inch-lbs. There are 5 10mm that hold this down.
TDufXv.jpg

gcqyic.jpg

With these two things done, we have all the bolt holes for the oil pan as soon as it is dry.

Last edited:
With everything wrapped up on the bottom side and the oil pan dry, we could finally bolt the oil pan on. Here is the pan all painted and dry in gloss black.
7j8rLc.jpg

I ordered a SS oil pan bolt set from somewhere maybe about a year ago, but now that I opened the package I see that they do NOT include the shorties that are needed near the timing belt. They are the same length. So, I'm going to have to clean up and reuse a few of the old ones.
TtuVdp.jpg

AjYSYK.jpg

Got the gasket prepped.
wZOISY.jpg

Super thin coat of Blue RTV on the required seams.
vKdRW7.jpg

Quick tighten down with a 10mm nutdriver.
h7LLEO.jpg

Then torqued down to 60 inch-lbs.
jMWzpQ.jpg

Here it is all installed. I feel much better with the bottom on this engine sealed up properly now.
WPypLv.jpg

7PXOGQ.jpg

Stay tuned for next weeks update!

So we finally put the last touches on the TB. Got the new FIAV gasket installed.

16GYk3.jpg

BjnV0U.jpg

We bought a new BISS Screw, but the one that showed up was plastic where the old one was brass, so we cleaned the old one up and put the new o-ring on that one.
EwFfdz.jpg

Time to reinstall the mounting studs on the intake.
9HmON9.jpg

For now we're tossing this old 1G TB elbow on here, but we're not going to use it. We have a spare 2G elbow that has a larger overall diameter, but the flange on a 2G TB elbow is narrower than a 1G, so we need to port it out a bit and gasket match it.
RTNM2U.jpg

As mentioned before, we did a little bit of porting out on this 2G TB elbow we had laying around.

This is the difference in size between a 1G and 2G TB.
emo0Ck.jpg

vJkTjT.jpg

Single flute bits work the best on aluminum.
cJTKLi.jpg

FboYtN.jpg

ttHfZW.jpg

We use a Dremel at the end with a flapper sanding wheel to really smooth things out - I think it was a 100 grit.
DFDa0a.jpg

So it's time for a major update .... we've spent most of the restoration work on this car so far working on the motor - as you can see by reading through the build thread. In the background we've been buying stuff for the car as things have popped up in the classifieds and elsewhere. Back track to the end of the summer in 2022 and my son was searching parts up on FB Marketplace and found a Galant shell for sale. At that same time, I had been messaging punk3rz about some VR4 parts he had for sale on here. It took my son a few days, but we soon realized punk3rz was the one who also had the Galant shell for sale on FB. Long story short, we made a deal and bought our 2nd Galant VR4 - #1458.

I didn't post about it at the time b/c I didn't want to disrupt the flow of the build thread, The car spent a good chunk of it's life in FL and we quickly realized upon arrival that the undercarriage was in better condition than the one we had, and that the car was overall more complete. So, we've altered our plan a bit and we are instead going to build this car and supplement the build with whatever parts we need form the #129. The time has come to bring the car home and finally get to work on it. It's been in storage since we got it and we're going to go fetch it and bring is back home tomorrow. Till tomorrow, here are some pictures of when the car was delivered from TN almost a year and 1/2 ago.

ghM06X.jpg

VI5X71.jpg

2174rA.jpg

jEiiqy.jpg

The engine bay is very very complete - which is a HUGE plus for us.
oPCliE.jpg

My wife was not thrilled when it first arrived that we had an incomplete looking car sitting in the driveway, so the only thing we've done to it since it arrived at home and put it in storage was reinstall the front end.
NPVTlG.jpg

lDy5Id.jpg

mgggqZ.jpg

6PRPGH.jpg

5D0vNZ.jpg

I never put a front end back on a Galant before, so we were just kinda making it up as we went.

Last edited:
So we went over and picked the car up to bring it home. My father-in-law owns a rollback, so it's really nice any time I need to move a car around, it's pretty easy.
A2xgE2.jpg

Vtaho4.jpg

JoStkO.jpg

And then here we are back at the house getting ready to unload. My son got to learn how to run the controls from his grandfather.
xP8z64.jpg

ZP3EHw.jpg

And we are pushed into the garage and ready to commence work.
myqxKU.jpg

Great build! I can appreciate how much time it takes to post detailed documentation.

I love seeing Galant builds come together. Keep up the great work!

Great build! I can appreciate how much time it takes to post detailed documentation.

I love seeing Galant builds come together. Keep up the great work!
Really appreciate the compliment. I don't get too-too crazy documenting things here on DSMTuners since DSM's are so well documented already at this point. But, over on Starquestclub where I also serve as a moderator I've done some pretty detailed restoration threads. Much smaller community over there, and a very unsupported platform.

Looking at your signature it looks like you are more than well versed in Galant's. This is my first Galant, so I'll have to keep your username in mind in case we run into anything. :thumb:

We got right to work on Monday night. Started by removing the hood. I immediately wanted to inspect the wiper cowl area. I've seen way too many cars that are completely rotted out in the area and unsavable. So, before we got too deep into the car I wanted to see what the condition of things were in that area.
This is what we found:
M5Kpy5.jpg

V8z3WH.jpg

A little bit of tree debris sitting in here, but everything is completely solid. Couldn't be happier.

No way we're dropping the fresh motor build in this dirty old engine bay, so our goal is to strip everything out, repaint the bay and then put everything back so we can drop the motor in - possibly later this summer. Whenever I do a project like this I like to get 3 boxes and label them "passenger - firewall - driver" and strip everything off and store it in the boxes. Keeping it organized helps knowing where everything goes back.
eqK6jk.jpg

With that in mind, we started by gutting the passenger side engine bay. Here's what we started with:
QKtlPl.jpg

And maybe and hour or 2 later:
4XVKdz.jpg

It was a good first night. :)

I’m soo excited to see this car be brought back to life! I ran into more financial difficulties and had to let my 2g gsx go. I no longer own a DSM after owning one consecutively for over 15 years with a total of at least 40 dsms owned. Good luck to you and your son! Keep the dsm dream alive!

I’m soo excited to see this car be brought back to life! I ran into more financial difficulties and had to let my 2g gsx go. I no longer own a DSM after owning one consecutively for over 15 years with a total of at least 40 dsms owned. Good luck to you and your son! Keep the dsm dream alive!
Glad to see you check in!! I expect to be making a TON of progress from now through the summer months. And for anyone that ever needs to deal with this guy ^^^ totally honest and easy to work with. I think everyone gets a tad bit nervous buying a car site unseen, but this transaction was drama free.

Hope you can back into the DSM world soon enough punk3rz.

Worked on the car a couple of nights ago as well. This time we were focused on removing things on the firewall. If you've never noticed before, Mitsu had an obsession with brackets in the 80's & 90s. They would bolt brackets to brackets and then another bracket to that to hold it on the car. ROFL

Here's the firewall with started with.
oWWA1v.jpg

6qRSvz.jpg

And here's where we got.
1PfYDg.jpg

Next work session we'll get the clutch master and brake master removed along with whatever we can on the drivers side inner fender.

Picking up where we left off this weekend we started by removing the clutch and brake master cylinders and booster.
eoHOGc.jpg

Pulling the cotter pins on these inside the car wasn't as bad as I thought it might be.
QDEVZA.jpg

Takes a little bit of patience to get the booster out. It's pretty tight against the strut tower.
wnixYG.jpg

The drivers side inner fender is bit more involved - more involved than any car I've ever worked on before. B/c it's for wheel steering and abs there's lines ... everywhere! So there's only so much we can really remove feasibly.
ikUSG7.jpg

Here's a little video of where we're at.

More updates from this week. Grabbed some rolls of tape and started taping off all the lines in the engine bay.
Hvzknm.jpg

Ix5dFx.jpg

I8LQjb.jpg

It took some work, but we were also able to remove the sound deadening on the firewall so can get a nice coat of paint behind it. I think we only cut it in 3 places.
M7h54s.jpg

Pushed the car outside. Now, that everything is taped off we wanted to give the engine bay a good power washing just to get any grime off before we start the painting process. To be honest, this engine bay is one of the least grimy ones I've ever seen so this step is really just precautionary.

Here it is in the daylight!!
eFqE2b.jpg

We sprayed the whole bay down with Simple Green ahead of time, then got to work blasting.
VWniq5.jpg

w2YI5L.jpg

Here she is after a soaking.
qzLfx1.jpg

After several hours of dry time, I went back out later in the afternoon and used an abrasive wire wheel and just gave the entire bay a light scuff just to help the paint adhere better and knock off any surface rust. I was NOT trying to strip anything down to bare metal.
fDogSx.jpg

Here's a close up of what I was going for....
LdKJLu.jpg

Next day ... time to get some priming done.
epRxLC.jpg

Covered the windshield before we got going.
085bzT.jpg

Firewall -
JTe1e7.jpg

Passenger side -
dbbLHV.jpg

More firewall -
IKJ2rA.jpg

Drivers Side -
TnCPWQ.jpg

Done ... including wiper cowl area and cross members.
1oGqK6.jpg

Really really pleased with how this step came out. It's so nice to be going the other way on this thing already.

Now that we got the car pushed back inside, it's time to get to work on the actual painting.

OjDM6A.jpg

This is a brush-on gloss enamel Rustoleum paint. It takes time, but the results are worth it.
w0NtNX.jpg

dvyHEA.jpg

bdDex2.jpg

Got some more drivers side, firewall and crossmembers to go, but this is as far as we got tonight. Should be able to finish the rest next time we work on it.

Threw some on the wiper cowl area too.
dnezHL.jpg

Great pictures and work - This thread is going to come in handy - I've got a 6-Bolt on the stand - head just came back from the machine shop - but all the block work needs to be done to get that ready.

Love the progress -

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back