The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

FWD tranny building

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DSMTurbos

20+ Year Contributor
Nov 27, 2001
Raleigh, North_Carolina
i am rebuilding my tranny in a few days and have a couple questions but can only think of 1 right off hand. do they make upgraded shift forks for the fwd? anything else you think i should do while we are in there? i am getting the bm tranny lsd insert also

nope i didn't break a shift fork.. we are 99% sure the bearings of 1st and 2nd gear are just about gone, but i figure while i am in there might as well upgrad the thing

You can get upgraded FWD forks from BM I believe. The only ones you can get are custom made ones. They are a rip off compared to the AWD guys using EVO forks. I wouldn't worry about forks anyway in FWD. Definately get a double synchro 2nd gear kit from TRE or BM. Other than that there's jack to upgrade on a FWD trams excecpt maybe the shift rails (whoop tee doo) and diff. You could get a taller 5th gear if ya wanted also.

This is the reason TRE is offereing AWD trans in FWD mode as others are doing it as well. That way you can upgrade just about everything. Once again the FWD's get stiffed in this department.

thanks for the info, that is what i thought the deal was with building the tranny.

doesn't the 2g fwd tranny already have double syncros? i thought it did, just the like pre 92 trannies didn't have the double second, i am i right on wrong on this?

one of my friends just got the new hybrid tranny for this 1g fwd

Originally posted by DSMTurbos

doesn't the 2g fwd tranny already have double syncros?

I think that only goes for 98+. Reguardless Im reffering to the full TRE or BM kit. It goes for about $300 but includes everything for 1-2 except a new 1st gear. If you wanna slam 2nd hard at 8k+ and bark the shit out of the tires, I would get it. I went with the TRE set.

well bad news for me, after looking at the tranny while all apart: well the tranny is completly toast.... everything inside the tranny would need to be replaced, its rusty and also 3rd gear is about to lock up, so i have to find a completly new tranny. funny thing is that the tranny just was full of tranny fluid 3 weeks ago and now it was bone dry pretty much when jason took it out. also lots of metal flakes, the magnet was covered in metal, etc. some even big pieces of metal came out of it, and parts even had rust on it, and the tranny fluid that was actually inside was very rusty and dirty after 3 weeks. so its pretty messed up and i am hoping for a tre tranny or shep brand new tranny with a quafi lsd now, but it depends on my dad

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back