The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

1G FWD Rear brake caliper rebuild

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stevens Talon

Probationary Member
Apr 6, 2024
Tennessee
So after finally getting the kits in, I started a rebuild on both of my rear brake calipers. Note both where replaced with part store rebuilt ones a few years ago and I noticed that on the internal parking brake spring there was 2 diff ones. One caliper had a shorter one with a bigger top and small bottom the other caliper had one that was taller and the same size top and bottom.

The big issue is the one with the bigger spring, when releasing the parking brake, retracks the piston fully, the one with the OEM spring won't unless pushed on.

Any idea why this would be? The pistons and bores are clean and smooth and seals are correct.

I'm not quite following you. There are two return springs, one internal for the self-adjuster (13) and one external (22) to retract the parking brake. Which are you talking about?

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

The internal adjuster spring is the one im talking about

To be spefic i have 3 calipers 2 left and one right that does not have number 14 part and number 13 spring is large on 1 end and small on the other end i have 1 right caliper that has number 14 and number 13 spring is large on both ends and spring is taller. Im confused as to why

My original 91 AWD rears have a tapered #13 and no #14. I haven't taken any others that far apart to say what goes with what. The 90 FSM and the 92-94 FSM both show pretty much the same diagram and clearly it's inaccurate at least in my case.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back