The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support Rix Racing

1G Frankenstein DSM Knuckles

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DuctTapeProdigy

Probationary Member
Jul 4, 2012
Anaheim, California
Hi anyone.

I'm looking at using a set of knuckles/brakes from a 91 3000GT VR4 (4 pot, big rotors). In my searching, I've found the spline count for the 3000gt vr4 hub on the knuckle is a 27 spline hub.

The 1g DSM has press in hubs with 25 splines.
The 2g DSM has bolt in hubs with 25 splines (albeit different attachment pattern from the 3000gt).

Has anyone considered using the hubs from a 2g DSM into the 1g 3000gt VR4 Knuckles and installing those in a 1g dsm? From my research, the tie rod connects a bit further away, which would increase my turning radius, and possibly change the geometry of the suspension a bit.

I'm not sure if it's worth my effort to machine the 3000gt knuckles for the 2g hub, or instead just work on an adapter bracket, or if the internal splines (on the axle shaft side of the CV joint) are interchangeable.

I've already got evo 8 rims which clear the calipers, and plan on installing the factory 1.25" VR4 brake master cylinder. Car is currently sitting on Eibach Pro Kit lowering springs.

Why do you want to run the 3000GT knuckles, what is the benefit? The turning radius would be a plus but you still have to take into account wheel clearance to the chassis at full lock.

If the CV have the same diameter bearing cage you could swap the guts and switch the hub ends to run the 3000gt spline hub/knuckle with the DSM axle.

Wait, have you confirmed that 3000gt knuckles will work on a DSM? I've never seen that information.

I'm about to install my 1st gen 3kGT calipers using the brackets from RTM (link in the post above mine).

What is your reason for NOT using the stock 1g knuckles?
I believe I have a bent hub, noticed some wobble when I checked for ATF leaks (replaced torque converter seal this past weekend). I figured since I have the knuckles, rotors, and calipers, and remember reading that they "almost" work, I'd have a project to install bigger brakes and get rid of a potentially bent hub.

Last edited:
Last edited:
Even if your axle nut and is torqued to spec that will not account for play in the wheel bearings. If they have never been replaced those roller bearings can move around a lot. Furthermore a bent hub will affect alignment, have to noticed any abnormal tire wear or pulling while driving?

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back