The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support Rix Racing

1G First DSM, is this car a can-o-worms?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nuzzi

Proven Member
Jan 11, 2014
Torrington, Connecticut
First post, been lurking here for quite a while learning about these cars. This is my first DSM, I grew up around Euro and American classic/muscle cars. I always liked the 1g Talon and recently bit the bullet when I found one for a pretty good deal. It's a '91 Talon Tsi 5spd in pretty good shape just been sitting for a while. 159k, level 6 trim, blue/grey paint with grey/black int, no sun roof, lsd rear, no rust and several upgrades. It runs great but needs a good amount of work before it can even be driven, had to have it towed to my place (don't worry, used a 4 wheel dolly) I can tell the engine has definitely been out at some point and looks like the head and valve cover were recently off, I haven't had a chance to peek under the vc yet, hoping by some miracle there's a set of nice cams in there. The previous owner did some weird things with the ecu among other issues that I've since resolved (typical vacuum line nightmare under the hood) The car is definitely a '91 but for some reason he swapped the 2 pins around to use a '90 ecu....the car even came with an extra ecu also a '90...and he told me he was planning to buy the tach converter from dsmchips, he was clearly confused as to what he had. So I know I need an ecu at this point and fix the wiring, the other major issue is that he had bigger tires on the front! :ohdamn: 215/60/16 with the stock 205/55/16 in the rear, so I can be pretty sure the viscous coupler is shot. That being said, do I need to be worried about other driveline issues besides the vc that would be affected? How bad a job is it to do the vc? (it also needs wheel bearings all around) Overall the car isn't too molested so I hope to have it on the rd by summer time. :cool:

I have always tried to stay away from hacked up harness. I wish you luck

It doesn't look bad, just the two pins 14 and 6 I believe. Hopefully there isn't a rats nest behind the dash like I had on my Corrado, now that was a nightmare, ended up swapping the whole harness.

My guess with the tire size issue, the biggest problem would be the viscous coupler being burned up, but other then that, your other drivetrain parts should have survived under "normal" circumstances. To answer your title question though: almost all used DSM's are cans of worms, but thats why we like em! :)

Fix the cpu issue and put the correct cpu in it. 90 cpus are fairly rare and usually need the caps fixed (ask me how I know). You can find a decent cpu at pull a part or someone on tuners or local junkyard for fairly cheap. Check caps for leakage. If you see a little, move on or take your chances and send for repair.

Lastly, the vc may not be in as bad of shape...since most of the power goes to the front, for the most part and, the front tires flex more due to weight bias, it is possible that if the car has not been driven much, the vc MAY be ok but, find out and fix if you have to.

From what you described, much of the work can be done yourself if, you are mechanically inclined. If so, you can turn it into a decent car. Make sure you do a timing change on it unless you are 100% sure the belt and idler wheels have been changed very recently. Change the vcg and pcv valve as well as the upper radiator hose and any other cracked hoses such as lower radiator hose, fuel hoses, and vacuum hoses.

If money is bountiful, get an oil pressure gauge (if it does not have one) and the usual combo of gauges that most turbo cars have. In all, freshening up the car and making sure the vitals are good will ensure more life out of the car. Once YOU fix it, you know what you have.

good luck

Thanks for the replies, the biggest problem for me will just be finding parts, all the junk yards around me suck. I majored in electronics so replacing caps is no problem, and ive always done my own mechanic work. I already have a pile of parts started, with much more to come. It already has oil pressure, wide band, and boost gauges, mbc, timer, fmic kit. Im on the fence about doing a bsek, I keep seeing different opinions on it, and if I should leave the front shaft if I do actually do it. Timing belt will be done along with new oil/water pump, new hoses with aluminum rad/slim fans, once im positive its running smooth in stockish form ecmlink will be in the plans. Of course before any major upgrades regular mtc items will be addressed, like new brake lines, pads/ slotted rotors, it may need a throw out bearing so while im in there a new clutch kit will go in, I already have a ss clutch line. My Corrado is already track ready so this car I would like to keep somewhere in between a daily driver and weekend warrior.

Last edited:
update....pulled the ecu out of the car and come to find out it actually is a correct one! for a '92 awd turbo 5spd, non eprom unfortunately. I really don't understand what the po was trying to do...but at least now I know I have the right ecu just need to put the wiring back together. I also just picked up a sweet set of 17x8 enkei rpm2 rims/tires:cool:

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back