The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

First batch of Tesla Motors electric cars sold out

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joshohatesuall

15+ Year Contributor
Aug 17, 2005
Union City, California
It wasn't too long ago that Tesla Motors had its (admittedly glamorous) unveiling of the forthcoming Tesla Roadster -- you know, the 130-miles per hour battery powered whip that rolls 250 miles on a single charge. While it can't be too shocking to see a few celebrities here and there plop down unspeakable amounts of coin to get their hands on something new, don't tell Tesla that the reaction to its creation is surprising. Less than a month after this extra-green automobile hit the pre-order market, all 100 that were offered up are now claimed. Just doing simple calculations, we're seeing a company that went from next to nil in terms of sales to $10 million in capital quicker than a shipment of crude oil could hit the American shores. Martin Eberhard, the CEO of Tesla Motors, reported that "all 100 are gone," which means those hundred highfaluting individuals that have paid the $100,000 deposit have guaranteed themselves one of the first Roadsters off the production line in 2007. While the buyers may end up paying more than the deposit price when taking delivery, it's fairly unlikely they'll see any partial refunds if the MSRP somehow clocks in under 100 grand (considering the apparent popularity), and we've heard that both of Google's co-founders, as well as eBay's Jeff Skoll, have thrown down for the seemingly coveted ride. There's no word on when Tesla plans to re-open its bank account for the next wave of orders, but if such an opportunity does arise, you should probably call dibs with some level of haste if you plan on shunning those costly fuel pumps next year.

http://www.engadget.com/2006/08/16/first-batch-of-tesla-motors-electric-cars-sold-out/

interesting news :D

only 100 cars, no wonder...

either way, a large percentage of electricity is created from fossil fuel, so its not like we are using a different energy source...

tstkl said:
either way, a large percentage of electricity is created from fossil fuel, so its not like we are using a different energy source...

But at least they are trying and thinking outside of the box. It is good that we have companies actively pursuing alternatives. This cars indepandance from gasoline is not its only strong point. I am also interested in the performance of this vehicle.

yeah, but its not like you can get a $100 intake for these cars to up the power a little, or some free flowing exhaust. Aside from adding more batteries, what can you do to improve the power of an electric motor?

If I spent $100k on my car, I don't think I would jump in to mod it. Especially if it holds up to its claimed performance. I would be happy with a 0-60 time that is comparible to the viper.
I can see your point that this might not be a tuner car, however, I don't know of too many "tuners" that can fork out $100k for a car anyways. They are definitely aimed at a different audience.

I think this car does wonders for the image of the electric car as an "oblong-shaped 50mph max inner city car." It's saying to the world, "Hey, electric cars can get great range and make awesome performance numbers."

That's entirely true, but I think with the growing number of hydroelectric dams, wind turbines, solar energy collectors, tidal energy collectors, and other geothermal (read: renewable) sources of electricity, I think things are going to start getting better. We haven't even started tapping the potential of renewable energy sources, but I think it's mostly because we haven't even tried very hard.

Synapses said:
More like big oil has been trying to keep us looking else where. http://video.google.ca/videoplay?docid=6923835633598627078&q=electric+car
Dont buy into that stupid video. That thing had a range of 50 miles hence its dead. Producing that car wouldn't have made a struggling GM any money. No tin hats needed just economic common sense.

"Not for everyone, it will only meet the needs of 90% of the population." Yes, I'm sure 90% of the population can afford to stop for hours at a time every 50 miles to recharge. Sorry to get off topic

TurboDropTop said:
Dont buy into that stupid video. That thing had a range of 50 miles hence its dead. Producing that car wouldn't have made a struggling GM any money. No tin hats needed just economic common sense.

"Not for everyone, it will only meet the needs of 90% of the population." Yes, I'm sure 90% of the population can afford to stop for hours at a time every 50 miles to recharge. Sorry to get off topic

I'm pretty sure 90% of the population live within 50 miles from work. That was the whole point of the car... I'm sure half of that population lives within 50miles round trip from work.

Big Oil has relatively little to lose when it comes to alternative powered cars. As stated above... the vast majority of our energy comes from burning fossil fuels. The street/town I live on uses almost exclusively oil for heat and hot water. The bigger issue here is the location of pollution. If you look at cities like LA or NYC, or ATL, there is so much smog that is created by people who are commuting to and from work. (often times much further than 50 miles round trip per day) The #1 goal for hybrid, and electric, and fuel cell cars is not to make America less dependent on oil, but rather to spread the pollution out over a broader area. Anyone that thinks it'll make America less dependent on oil is only kidding themselves. Think of all of the products that you are currently using/wearing that are made out of some sort of petroleum bi-product (i.e. nylon, plastics ect.)

Sorry for the long post... just wanted to add my thoughts.

CCR17Darcy said:
Big Oil has relatively little to lose when it comes to alternative powered cars. As stated above... the vast majority of our energy comes from burning fossil fuels. The street/town I live on uses almost exclusively oil for heat and hot water. The bigger issue here is the location of pollution. If you look at cities like LA or NYC, or ATL, there is so much smog that is created by people who are commuting to and from work. (often times much further than 50 miles round trip per day) The #1 goal for hybrid, and electric, and fuel cell cars is not to make America less dependent on oil, but rather to spread the pollution out over a broader area. Anyone that thinks it'll make America less dependent on oil is only kidding themselves. Think of all of the products that you are currently using/wearing that are made out of some sort of petroleum bi-product (i.e. nylon, plastics ect.)

Sorry for the long post... just wanted to add my thoughts.

you're very correct in your statement, however a side benefit of these lower emission vehicles is a decreased dependence on gasoline and fossil fuels. it wont solve all the problems, but it's a step in the right direction. the level of dependence we have developed on big oil is not something that will be solved overnight, nor in one huge step, but more baby steps in the correct direction.

I'd definitely roll in it. I see a little bit of Pontiac Solstice, a little bit of Ferrari, and a little bit of something else all rolled up into it.

I know I'm veering off topic, but would you rather roll in this? It was at the CHAMP Car pit party last night (8-16-06) here in Houston. I've drooled over these in magazines and when I saw it in person last night I about wet myself (Porsche Carrera GT). I imagine some 80 year old collector owns it and his mechanic has all the driving pleasure....lucky bastard.

I told my wife I'd love to have one...she said we can't live in it...sh!t. Anyway, the monthly insurance note probably cost more than I make.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

And in the poor section, the old "hoopty" mobiles.

And then the CHAMP car...oval version.

Last edited by a moderator:
I had an 80 year old guy blow by me in one of those on 101 once.

I secretly hoped he had a heart attack.

leet said:
I had an 80 year old guy blow me in one of those on 101 once.

I secretly hoped he had a heart attack.

Ummm....... :confused:

I really hope you meant to include a "by" between "blow" and "me".

No, I made the old bastard blow me. Toothless FTW.

No, I made the old bastard blow me. Toothless FTW.

Jesus... you crack me up. ROFL

Anyways I think a little Elise is the missing ingredient in the Tesla Roadster.

That might be it. :) It would be an interesting comparison to the Elise, for sure. I'd like to see side-to-side comparisons by Jeremy Clarkson of Top Gear fame. :D

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back