The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

DSM miles

How many miles are on your dsm?

• Under 20,000

Votes: 14 1.9%
  • 20,000 to 35,000

Votes: 8 1.1%
  • 35,000 to 50,000

Votes: 16 2.2%
  • 50,000 to 65,000

Votes: 36 5.0%
  • 65,000 to 85,000

Votes: 92 12.7%
  • 85,000 to 100,000

Votes: 97 13.4%
  • over 100,000

Votes: 459 63.6%

• Total voters

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

evers310 said:
I hear ya man, I have a 12 second '66 Chevy truck. A turbo is definitely in my future, but it'll be on the 420a.

I think you'll be really happy with a turbo on that bad boy. Had I kept my N/T this was the route I would have gone (a Hahn stage II). Things just worked out a little differently for me and I can't complain either way. The thing I always liked about my 420A is that it was simple to work on and seemed pretty tough when it came to build quality and internals. Sometimes, I miss that car!

Andy

Redmachine said:
As for the sell it for a gs-t bullshit, you've been warned, read up on the rules section. Someone already posted it, the founder of the site is tired of seeing it and so are we, keep it to yourself. We bought ours for one reason or another, respect that and help with the question at hand.

Man, you guys are a hostile bunch. You can use profanity at me....and I have been WARNED? For what?

Read my post again.

All I am saying is that the NT is a good car with bolt ons. If you want to slap a turbo on it, do it...but it is just EASIER and cheaper to make more power if you start with a turbo car.

In my experience the car wasn't reliable. I am not saying yours will be unreliable. I am no expert. I am just giving my opinion, and said to check Edmunds or Consumer reports to see what they think.

I read the rules. It doesn't say I can't express my opinion. I didn't flame anyone, and I didn't use profanity (like you), and I didn't mean to upset anyone.

I have had a ton of very fast cars, and I have just learned that if you want a truck load of power....it is hard (and expensive) to get if you start with a small displacement NA car. That is it.

Chill out.

Patrick

I have a 97 GSX with 169K+ miles on it, I was wondering if I should be worried about my car holding together and what I should have checked/replaced? I have done regular maintenance (oil changed every 3K, timing belt at 60K and 120K, MODs in profile, air filter cleaned every 10K, perfect compression, no oil leaks) on it but it worries me that it has 169K+ miles. I'm starting to wonder how my frame and other parts are holding up and how strong they are. Should I keep my DSM and do a 6-bolt/1G head swap or should I consider a new car due to the miles? If I should get a new car should I get one of these?

(No Particular Order)
1991-1997 Toyota Supra TT
1997-1999 Mitsubishi 3000GT VR-4
2005 Dodge SRT-4
2005 Mitsubishi Evolution MR
2006 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT
2006 Subaru WRX STI Spec-C

Thank you.

As long as you are performing routing mainenace, everything should be fine. Why would you be worried about the frame? If you are that concerned about it, the next time that you are getting in for service, just have them take a look under the car and see if they spot anything that me be problematic. As long as the drivetrain and engine are doing fine, then most of the other stuff should not be too bad to replace, when the time comes.

I just think that you are being a little too paraniod, but it is very understandable to be with a car that is getting up there in mileage. I wouldn't just jump into a different car for no reason, though. If you started to have a lot of problems, then it may be a good idea to get out while you can, but it doesn't seem like that is the problem here.

Adam

if you have the money right now, you should just sell the gsx and pick up one of those cars, but go with the 93-98 supra TT, i dont think the 91-92 are TT.. :thumb:

As long as the engine tranny and exhaust are working well, you shouldn't owrry.
Unless you have major rust on the chasis thats more than repairable, then worry.

pweizman said:
Man, you guys are a hostile bunch. You can use profanity at me....and I have been WARNED? For what?

Read my post again.

All I am saying is that the NT is a good car with bolt ons. If you want to slap a turbo on it, do it...but it is just EASIER and cheaper to make more power if you start with a turbo car.

In my experience the car wasn't reliable. I am not saying yours will be unreliable. I am no expert. I am just giving my opinion, and said to check Edmunds or Consumer reports to see what they think.

I read the rules. It doesn't say I can't express my opinion. I didn't flame anyone, and I didn't use profanity (like you), and I didn't mean to upset anyone.

I have had a ton of very fast cars, and I have just learned that if you want a truck load of power....it is hard (and expensive) to get if you start with a small displacement NA car. That is it.

Chill out.

Patrick
Right here the rules for the nt section and your warning, it has now been posted 3 times http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/showthread.php?t=173573
We(I) fly off the handle because thats all we hear, "sell your POS n/t for a real car" :nono: That s**t(there is that better?) sucks, we get labeled as the bastards because we don't carry a factory snail. We love our cars for the same reasons you love yours and we don't run around telling you to sell your 1g every time you might have a problem.

Get bent
Joe

Ok. Seriously. I'm all 2GNT, all-motor, all the way, and I didn't see anything wrong with what this guy, Patrick said from beginning to end. He has been polite and spoken his opinions based on his experiences with a 2GNT and there is nothing wrong with that. Yes, it might be against the rules to say "Sell it and buy a turbo," but he's not just coming in here to rip the guy (and us in general) up for deciding to stick with the 420A. I saw his first comments and just shrugged at them, "Okay. Whatever." No big deal. Common sense, kiddies. Common sense.

You guys all need to realize that this is not a one way street. Show a little more maturity with this issue. Just because someone suggests it might be more feasible to make a lot of power on 4G63 does not mean that they can't otherwise contribute in this forum in some way. It also doesn't mean you have some sort of obligation to run up the colors and charge the front lines again... and again... and again.

I guess the point I'm trying to make is, bitching, moaning and starting shit (instead of just ignoring the random 4G63 elitism) just makes the rest of us look bad. The 4G63 guys in this thread have been very respectable and to "warn" them because they made mention of DSM power is weaksauce. To actually go out of your way to negatively rate someone who did so in the manner demonstrated here is even weaker.

Redmachine said:
Right here the rules for the nt section and your warning, it has now been posted 3 times http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/showthread.php?t=173573
We(I) fly off the handle because thats all we hear, "sell your POS n/t for a real car" :nono: That s**t(there is that better?) sucks, we get labeled as the bastards because we don't carry a factory snail. We love our cars for the same reasons you love yours and we don't run around telling you to sell your 1g every time you might have a problem.

Get bent
Joe

but the guy never said sell it and buy a turbo, he only said its easier to make power if you have a turbo motor and add bolt ons, than if you have a n/a motor and add bolt ons. you guys should ease off him

dr1665 said:
To actually go out of your way to negatively rate someone who did so in the manner demonstrated here is even weaker.

Thanks man. I have tried to be helpful...and I used to have a 2G NT...which I loved!! It really got me into cars.

Redmachine...I am not sure what I did to pi$$ you off, but man...sorry. I think you are getting worked up over nothing.

I don't love any one car exclusively. The 4G63 is a pretty good engine...but it has its issues too. It has a bunch of touchy maintence issues...but the more performance you demand from something...the more work you generally have to do to maintain it. Just like a turboed NT would be!

We all love cars...that is why we are here.

No need to rip me, make me read the rules, threaten to ban me, and give me negative feedback.

Later,
Patrick

pweizman said:
Thanks man. I have tried to be helpful...and I used to have a 2G NT...which I loved!! It really got me into cars.
Anytime. :thumb:

The problem is that some of the guys here suffer from overexposure to SIABAT (pronounced: "SIGH-uh-bat"), or Sell It And Buy A Turbo. In the more advanced stages of overexposure to SIABAT, subjects can develop a borderline psychosis which results in an almost immediate psychotic episode (which can be violent, in addition to being verbal) at the mere mentioning of the 4G63T powerplant.

The answer to this growing epidemic is two-fold:
(1) 420A owners need to demonstrate an effort to rally behind the 4G63T community, as they represent the bulk of our reputation on the street and disregard the random dissmissive comments of a handful of dickheads.
(2) 4G63T owners need to demonstrate an effort to support their DCX-powered brothers and sisters, as the sales of our models kept the DSM on the market for more than ten years and disregard the bitching and moaning of a handful of dickheads.

:dsm: :talon: :laser: :rocks: :thumb:

Redmachine said:
We bought ours for one reason or another
becuse were stupid?? :confused: ROFL

dr1665 said:
Anytime.

The problem is that some of the guys here suffer from overexposure to SIABAT (pronounced: "SIGH-uh-bat"), or Sell It And Buy A Turbo. In the more advanced stages of overexposure to SIABAT, subjects can develop a borderline psychosis which results in an almost immediate psychotic episode (which can be violent, in addition to being verbal) at the mere mentioning of the 4G63T powerplant.

The answer to this growing epidemic is two-fold:
(1) 420A owners need to demonstrate an effort to rally behind the 4G63T community, as they represent the bulk of our reputation on the street and disregard the random dissmissive comments of a handful of dickheads.
(2) 4G63T owners need to demonstrate an effort to support their DCX-powered brothers and sisters, as the sales of our models kept the DSM on the market for more than ten years and disregard the bitching and moaning of a handful of dickheads.

haha purely amazing LOL. but i dont know if i can support the 4g63 powered eclipses as they have tainted my own cars image. i know if i race someone and they hear the BOV they will think "oh its a turbo eclipse, those things are fast from the factory, no wonder i lost"... nuh uh bitches, its a 420a, it was damn slow from the factory!! ... maybe ill make a bumper sticker of that LOL ROFL :p

but we are touchy for the very reason that alot of the turbo guys that post in here post for the reason of ripping on us, so we get defensive. i just cant believe you sold your 420a because it was unreliable and bought a 4g63 WTF LOL sure my car may leave me stranded now and then, but its always my fault LOL. if you want more power, maybe you should sell your car and buy a solid platform like the evo! ROFL :p ok im done with my random pointless comments now LOL

GSGoinFast said:
becuse were stupid?? :confused: ROFL

haha purely amazing LOL. but i dont know if i can support the 4g63 powered eclipses as they have tainted my own cars image. i know if i race someone and they hear the BOV they will think "oh its a turbo eclipse, those things are fast from the factory, no wonder i lost"... nuh uh bitches, its a 420a, it was damn slow from the factory!! ... maybe ill make a bumper sticker of that LOL ROFL :p

but we are touchy for the very reason that alot of the turbo guys that post in here post for the reason of ripping on us, so we get defensive. i just cant believe you sold your 420a because it was unreliable and bought a 4g63 WTF LOL sure my car may leave me stranded now and then, but its always my fault LOL. if you want more power, maybe you should sell your car and buy a solid platform like the evo! ROFL :p ok im done with my random pointless comments now LOL

You know :laser: had a reason for swaping the 4g63T motors for 420a's, A lot of them were breaking down when people didn't take care of them right.
The 420a power plant competes with motors like the LS(acura integra), or EX(honda civic). Powerplants that that are known to last long well into the future. Don't get me wrong if I had known a little more about DSM's I might have bought a GSX or GST(insurance wouldn't let me at that time either). So now I've learned a lot knowing that I/H/E doesn't help our cars out as much as the honda guys motors, so we have to go about a different way, internals, nitrous, or turbo and most of all tuning.
If I had bought a honda It would have taken me a lot longer to know about the importance of tuning.
Now that us bad boyz who are putting a lot of stress on our NA cars have to take special care of them and we learn a lot about our cars that way. The only probem I've had with this motor is a leaky valve cover, and I had a bad radiator cap which was leaking coolant. (KNOCK ON WOOD)
Now that I'm turbo'd on a NA power plant, I'm really careful with it, and haven't had any problems (KNOCK ON WOOD).

We all need to make a an effort to be faster than the cars we compete with.
420a's NA, 4g63 NA= anything under 190hp

420a's Nitroused or Turbo'd, 4g63 Nitrosed or Turbo'd= Anything in that that mid 13sec range

463T's(The Flag ship)= everything else

I'm gonna do my part as I'm headed to my goal of 300whp, and when I get there I'll be representing the best of the 420a turbo's. :rocks:

237,000 original kms, engine, tranny, turbo OMG
Only thing I've replaced is the clutch, and the thing doesnt have an easy life, daily driven and full on WOT pulls numerous times daily!

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back