The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support Rix Racing

anybody have pics of crushing the 1g bov?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jaysblacktalon

Probationary Member
Mar 31, 2010
San Francisco, California
I decided to crush my 1g bov, anybody have pics of doing this? I mean i can crush the bov but how much and which one to crush is it the nipple hole that goes to the intake or the top of the bov? please send me a reply back guys and gals tahnks!

Basically put the BOV between a vise, make sure its even. Gently and slowly tighten the vise, you will see the top part of the BOV begin to cave in. You are literally crushing it a few millimeters. Where most people crush to is so the nipple for the vacuum line touches the first tier of the BOV. Thats all there is to it.

Just noticed you are in SF too, if you need help PM me and ill help you out.

Basically put the BOV between a vise, make sure its even. Gently and slowly tighten the vise, you will see the top part of the BOV begin to cave in. You are literally crushing it a few millimeters. Where most people crush to is so the nipple for the vacuum line touches the first tier of the BOV. Thats all there is to it.

Just noticed you are in SF too, if you need help PM me and ill help you out.

hey thanks im Jay by the way I live near mission and silver, when ever you have sometime just wanted to know if u could help me crush my bov. thanks:thumb:

There's a proper way to do it, you don't just crush it you need to have a vacuum pump to measure when it will open.

Amazing what you can do with the search function
Blow Off Valve (BOV)

The last paragraph states
Another issue which concerns the BOV is crushing. The 1g BOV may be crushed to allow it to hold more boost on the highend and to not leak at part throttle applications. Crushing the BOV, in short, entails placing the BOV in a vice and slowly crushing it (making it shorter not skinnier). The trick is to use a vacuum pump (hand is fine) and gauge and crushing the BOV until it remains closed at about 20 mmHg. So don't just stick it in a vice and crush it 0.x inches. You have to use a vacuum gauge to do it right. If you need more info do an archive search of the Talon Digest Archive Searcher. Search for BOV AND crush.

If you crush it too much it won't open anymore and it won't bypass air properly.

Here's some pictures of what it looks like after you crush it:
http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/articles-turbo-system-intercooler/220909-1g-bov-101-mods.html

Here's a way to mod it without crushing it:
http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/art...cooler/97971-1g-bov-crushing-alternative.html

Why do you want to crush yours also? Are you running X > 22 psi of boost?

I know there was an actual page that showed you how to use a vacuum gauge to crush it but I think its not up anymore. But I wouldn't do it unless you have a spare and are boosting more than 22 psi. The ultimate would be to dissassemble the BOV and drill the top, then add a washer in there then weld a nut to the top. Then you can easily adjust how much tension you want on the spring.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back