The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support ExtremePSI

Alt/water pump pulley questions

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tkelly27

15+ Year Contributor
Mar 11, 2007
Gresham, Oregon
Hi, I have a '90 talon, I recently did the timing belt and now I can't figure out how to get the alternator and water pump going right. I didn't find this searching, if I should have, link me there. Thanks!

If someone could look under their hood and tell me if the belt goes on the inner (closer to block) or outer (further away from the block) groove in the crank pulley. I do not have an AC compressor, and I'm bad at lining things up by eye.

The other thing I need to know is which direction the water pump pulley goes. Does it go closer to the engine block, or further away. To put that another way, do the bolts sit in the bowl of the pulley, or do they sit on the flat part and the bowl goes around the inner power steering pulley?

It's currently shredding belts. If that's the case, when I get this right, and if it keeps on doing it, I've probably gotten a separated crank pulley/damper right?

the bowl shaped pully goes on the inside closest to the block with the bowl part facing in, then the larger puley bolts up on top of that one farther away from the block. the belt on the inside puley should run to your power steering, and the outside on to the alt. and crank.

you should be able to look down and see if all the pulleys line up.

It's currently shredding belts. If that's the case, when I get this right, and if it keeps on doing it, I've probably gotten a separated crank pulley/damper right?

Yes, in my experience, you are correct.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back