The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

420A 98 Eclipse GS Auto running rich

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DSMHayden

Probationary Member
Feb 22, 2023
Missouri
Need some help diagnosing a running rich problem on my 98 GS AUTO. Cylinders 1-3 were wet and smelt of fuel cylinder 4 looks relatively normal. Doesn’t like to idle, check engine light on. Replaced tps, iac/v, cts, 02 sensors and still persists. Any ideas?
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

What are the codes?

Yep, current and history codes would be helpful. Get those scanned.

It wouldn't surprise me if that MSD ignition coil has gone bad. They are prone to, well, being junk. I always just used my OE unit before Megasquirt. Seriously, go read the reviews for them. Not working out of box, or gone bad in 1 year. The SRT-4 community hates them (same part). The OE coil produces 40,000 volts while the MSD only produces 36,000. Of course amperage is the real key to ignition coil upgrades, but they don't even have a spec for that. The plug cables are fine to use though.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back