The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

95 GSX, what should i do first? Any advice?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AstigWriter

Probationary Member
Dec 8, 2012
oak harbor, Washington
So i just bought a 1995 eclipse GSX and was wondering if anyone could help me out on some advice on how to start modding it! What should be the things i should look out for on this car and what would be good starting mods for the car? Any advice is greatly appriciated thank you!

I would inspect the crap out of the thing. Look for any scraps of rust, especially around the strut towers, rockers, and under the lip of the hatch. I don't know if the Eclipses are as bad on rotting out as the Talons seem to be, but I'd do it just to be safe. I had two Talons rot out from under me back in Chicago and I'd hate to see the same happen to someone else. Give it a good powerwash too to keep the salt off. And replace the water pump and timing belt if it was sitting. My water pump went out 2 weeks after I bought my first one and luckily there was no engine damage.

As for modding, that all depends on you and what your goals are and the current condition of the car. I'm starting mine with cosmetic work because I have some mild rusting going on and just want to take care of it before it becomes a major issue and I lose a third Talon.

Where about in Joke Harbor are you?

thank you for the advice. ill give it a good inspection right away! sorry for the late reply

If everything checks out internally,start with exhaust and upgrade the fuel pump. Then a wideband and a tuning solution or socket and chip your ecu. Pick out a fmic setup that works for you,this will lower intake temps which means you can up the boost. Get a boost controller,not only can you up the boost but a mbc will help your spool up as well.Then figure out how big you want to go and go with a bigger injector/maf or sd combo and match it up with a turbo that meets your hp needs,along with a better flowing intake pipe+filter. You will need to be able to hold and control all that boost so a 1g or quality bov would be in line. If you decide that the turbo you want to upgrade to is not mhi,then pick an exhaust manifold and 02 housing that works with your turbo.at that time you need to match up a clutch,suspension and tranny that will support your bolt on mods (it wouldn't hurt to do this first thing). By that time you should have a goal in mind. : ) maybe some bigger cams? : )

Cool, sounds good. I'll Keep those mods in mind once i get the engine fixed up. Thanks for the tips!

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back