The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

5spd tranny whinning

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr. Talon

my transmission seems to whine when i drive. it is more related to speed then rpms. its louder at the lower rpms, and th eharder i accelerate, but the pitch increases relative to speed. i am going to check my tranny fluid today, i hope it is that simple. if u have any suggestions or comments i would really appreciate it. also 3rd gear seems to be the loudest. for somereadon today it has been the loudest ever.

thanx

my throw out bearing make noise till it warms up, and the cv joints are finr. its a whining of gears is what i think i hear. kinda sounds like a turbo LOL, i wish. anyways i'll check the fluid level, and also, what should i check for concerning the fluid, and how ill i know if it ALL needs to be changed?

You can tell alot about the condition of a tranny by the the fluid hat comes out. If it's dark black & funky. prol moisture or other contaminants got in there. If silvery.. got some gear rub on the case or other internal probs.

As long as it shifts fine I'd not be too worried. As with any old part it's gonna wear.. so unless you're REALLY bothered by the noise.. would wait on a rebuild.

Then again I'm on my 3rd AWD tranny with a "Bullet Proof" Shep Race Trans sitting on my garage floor beggin' to be installed :D

Originally posted by DSM90AWD
You can tell alot about the condition of a tranny by the the fluid hat comes out. If it's dark black & funky. prol moisture or other contaminants got in there. If silvery.. got some gear rub on the case or other internal probs.

As long as it shifts fine I'd not be too worried. As with any old part it's gonna wear.. so unless you're REALLY bothered by the noise.. would wait on a rebuild.

Then again I'm on my 3rd AWD tranny with a "Bullet Proof" Shep Race Trans sitting on my garage floor beggin' to be installed :D

my tranny is making a similar noise, only while in gear (almost is similar to a rotor grinding noise), heard it could be the viscous clutch rubbing hte housing)..how much do the shep race trans run if you don't mind me asking?

I got mine off a friend whom decided to go Porsche in the middle of his buildup. Zero miles.. complete with all the goodies (including 4-spider center diff).. just sitting there looking pretty.. my presious :D

i think i should be charged with dsm cruilty LOL i drained the tranny fluid and, well not a lot came out. not even enough to cover the bottom of an ice cream pale. so i pu tin 2 qts of synthetic gear oil, and now its fine. one thing i did notice now what the new oi is in is that my car seems a bit slower. maybe its just all in my head, but before the tranny didn't have to move any fluid around where now it does. ohwell, i'm glad i looked at it cuz who knows how long my tranny woulda lasted with out oil

My tranny used to whine too but my problem was second gear was in the process of death. I checked the fluid and it was more than full but what poured out had metal flake in it. I grabbed a new tranny because the syncros for 3rd were shot too. The best part was the same day i checked the fluid and discovered the metal in it, something came apart inside and made really pretty noises... :(

Also have you been pounding it into gears while racing or do you miss gears often?

i don't race too hard, and shifting isn't perfect, but not bad. however, after i topped up the fluid, the sound went away and everything was fine... until i noticed a small leak. i smelled it and discovered it was the gear oil i just put in, so i checked the drain, and fill plugs and they were fine. so i brought it to a shop, they put it up on the hoist, adn after a lil looking and cleaning everyhting to see where it was coming from , we determined that it is probly coming from the input shaft seal into the transmission. the guy said that the whining may be the bearing. its not leaking LOTS, it is still full, but i'll check around for prices to get it fixed, and i think i'll get it rebuilt while its out, and a new clutch.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back