The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

2G 5spd FWD Tranny Problem

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marcman804

15+ Year Contributor
Mar 5, 2005
Cumberland, Virginia
I have a 97 GST 5spd and recently I started hearing my transmission whine so i figured it needed some gear oil. Well my transmission shifts all gears smoothly as when I first got my car. But when I changed the gear oil i started seeing it leak from two holes in the fins of the tranny. I put some high strength metal epoxy over the holes and let it sit overnight. The next day I went and tried to put some more gear oil in it and it started leaking from somewhere I can't really see. Well im thinking about getting a new tranny and I found one for a good price out of a 96 GST but someone told me that it had to be from a 97-99. Is this true? I thought all 2g's had the same tranny. Could someone please help me. If you know anyone with a tranny for a good price just let me know.

If the tranny is fine and its just a little leak. Then theres no need to toss it for a whole new tranny.

Id just find the cause of the leak and seal it.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back