The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

1Ga AWD auto to manual conversion. . .

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dsm-onster

DSM Wiseman
Jul 11, 2004
Bloxom, Virginia
So here it begins. I will be swapping neccesary drive train components and controls in my 1991 "specialty line" AWD automatic shell for AWD 5speed parts.

02/26/09: Removing the Automatic Parts from Your Shell

1. Pull the shifter and console base.
  2. Drop the lower dash cover and lower steering column cover. Dont forget this screw.
  3. Trace the start safety cable from here to here and here as it goes into the dash. Remove all the mounts. Disconnect the cable from the switch.
  4. Remove the ventilation ducting. Now you can see everything much better like the steering column bolts and the brake pedal assemby.
    Here is where It would have been better for me to remove the steering column. It would have made more room.
  5. Remove cotterpin for brake booster rod.
  6. Remove the screws holding the set of relays that WILL be in the way and unplug the cruise control switch.
  7. Remove brake pedal assembly bolts. Don't forget these bolts.
    Here is where I realized that I should have removed the steering column 3 steps before.
  8. Turn the wheel until you see the steering column joint bolt. Remove. Disconnect the wiring harness plugs to the steering column.
  9. Remove steering column bolts and let steering wheel rest on seat. You have 4 more bolts here. Then wiggle the steering column from the joint and take it out of the way.
  10. Remove the steering column flange. Don't forget this bolt. Ah! Now you can see everything much better and be able to get that brake pedal assembly out much easier.
  11. Disconnect the brake safety cable from the brake pedal assembly and pull the start and brake safety cables out together.
  12. Remove the rest of the pedal assembly bolts.
  13. The pedal assemby bolts couples the brake booster to the firewall. Go to the engine bay and disconnect the A/C line mount. Fortunately there's no motor or trans in the bay for me :). Pry back the brake booster so that the booster rod gives enough clearance to pull out the brake pedal. It's a tight squeeze. You have to hold your mouth just right:p.
  14. Now that the brake pedal assembly is removed, give your back a break and have a beer or mountain dew or something.
  15. Now, turn you attention to the shifter cable. Jack up the car and secure the car and go under to the drive shaft tunnel, unbolt the shifter cable seal, and slide it through the hole. Unbolt the shifter cable mount farther up the tunnel. And take the cable out of the car.

03/12/09: Here is my list so far of what's needed to swap in a manual tranny to an automatic awd 1G

1. 5speed transfer case
2. the one 5speed tranny mount
3. 5speed rear differential
4. shifter cables and shifter, brackets for cable, and matching shifter arms on the tranny
5. clutch/brake pedal assemby
6. Master and slave plus lines and the line mounts/brackets
7. 5speed engine/starter backplate
8. AWD 6bolt flywheel, bolts, clutch kit
9. of course the 5pseed tranny

That's a fairly small list for such a big job:)

I've test-fit the automatic intermediate shaft with the 5speed tranny bolted to the engine and it appears that everything will line up properly.

See here.

If the intermediate shaft fits perfect, then the driverside halfshaft sould be just fine. This also means the front diff sits in the right place for the passenger side halfshaft. The width of the 5speed and auto front diff casings at the outputs is identical. So since the 5speed diff sits in the right spot for the intermediate shaft and the width of the inputs is the same, the passenger half shaft should work just fine. As well, I've been told by a few others who've done this swap that you can use the automatic shafts with the 5speed tranny. This includes the main driveshaft.

03/14/09: Modifying the Automatic Shell

1. Pull the lower passenger dash.
  2. Pull the TCU covers and remove the TCU.
  3. Pull the perforated piece of rubber and insulation covering the 5speed shifter cable pass-through.
  4. As you can see, the areas you'll need to cut are marked here; but not the otherside of the firewall.
  5. Cut out the rectangle and bolt holes for the seal to the manual cables.
  6. Cut opening for clutch master cylinder. Pic 1, pic 2.
  7. Drill the holes. Pic 1, pic 2.
  8. Put in 5 speed brake pedal/clutch pedal assembly. Pic1, pic 2.
  9. Slide the studs through the new holes and connect the brake master cylinder arm and studs
  10. Install clutch master cylinder; and install clutch lines and slave cylinder.
  11. Drop the automatic rear diff to replace with the 5 speed rear diff. The Vfaq has a good write up on how to do a diff swap 3bolt-to-4bolt is just the same, except you don't need to swap axle cups. I went ahead an installed a 4bolt rear while I was here :). The rear is heavy so use a jack. When pulling the cups definately look for a pully puller if you have any problems getting the cups off after the big holdon nut is removed. It's SO much easier with a pully puller!!!!

Installing the 5speed shifter is pretty straight forward. So I wont post any pics of that.

You're now readdy to install your AWD 5speed tranny and 5speed transfer case :) . . .

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back