The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

1992 tsi awd - cannot downshift from 3rd to 2nd.

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ISTROKEPOLE

Probationary Member
Oct 25, 2004
Chi-town, Illinois
Hey guys,
well i went out and bought another dsm. Im proud to say its my 5th one over the years and probably the cleanest and best. Im not new to trans issues of these cars or poorly bled slave symptoms etc. I have searched a bit, but i find the issue im having seems pretty unique and i cannot quite put my finger on a solution or cause.

- The car up-shifts flawlessly into every gear, no grinds, doesnt pop out of gear. You can downshift from 5-4, 4-3 perferctly with out any grinding or issues, but when i try and downshift from 4-2 or 3-2 i cannot get it to go into gear, basically summing up my issue is that i cannot downshift to 2nd gear while the vehichle is rolling at any mph. when i try to put it in 2nd gear, it doesnt grind, pop out or do anything for that matter, it just will not go in or doesnt attempt to. Ive tried rev matching and using a little force to get it to go in, but it is almost as if its was "locked out". Its odd, i can come to a stop and it slides into 2nd gear like butter, as well as shifting second gear on upshifts it is also smooth and grind-less. What could be causing this?

I would bet money the syncros have gone bad try double clutching it on you down shift and see what happens. if it goes into gear just fine if not could be something jamming the shift fork.

I would bet money the syncros have gone bad try double clutching it on you down shift and see what happens. if it goes into gear just fine if not could be something jamming the shift fork.

Please explain why the synchros are then not locking it out on upshifts as well. :applause:

Have you checked your bushings for any play?

I guess it could be sychros. I dont have an issue on upshift. Bushings are new poly green colored shifter cable end . Maybe illmess with shift cables and see what i find. I think theyre in adjusment bc i dont have issues in any other gear. Im probably not going to pull the trans out just yet.

I guess it could be sychros. I dont have an issue on upshift. Bushings are new poly green colored shifter cable end . Maybe illmess with shift cables and see what i find. I think theyre in adjusment bc i dont have issues in any other gear. Im probably not going to pull the trans out just yet.

Does your clutch pedal have proper free play?

yessir, i followed that video when i was bleeding the clutch and adjusting the pushrod. i went back and verified today as well.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back