The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

1990 Eclipse GSX: Part 1 "The Beginning."

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

4g63Powered

10+ Year Contributor
Jun 17, 2008
Bel Air, Maryland
I'll start off with a little bit of background information. In the summer of '04 I bought a Talon TSi AWD which received some light mods along with some body damage. Nothing to write home about, but it had a built engine with some other goodies.

Picture090.jpg

Fast forward to 2008. I graduate college, and move to Maryland where my new full time job is. I attempt to get the Talon inspected and it fails MD's rigorous standards miserably. Tires, alignment, power steering system, tint, exhaust, emissions; the list went on and on. Couple that with the "R" title and failing electrical connections, it was time to move on.

With the blessing of my parents, I was able to park the Talon in their garage to strip it, buy a new shell, and build my new DSM. So all I needed was a new shell.

My search led me to JNZTuning and their drag project shell. I get pumped up, ready to write that big check, but sadly my expectations had gotten the better of me. While in excellent condition, their shell was a little too far removed from the street car that I was looking for.

Fortunately not all was lost. One of JNZ's employees was also looking to sell a shell: a white :)thumb:) 1990 GSX. And the price was definitely right. So I gave him half the dough as a deposit and started counting down the days until I could bring her home.

Here's what she looked like that day:

Picture021.jpg

Picture015.jpg

Picture018.jpg

Picture017.jpg

Quick rundown of it:
-Just the shell; no engine/trans/rear
-Nice straight body, new front and rear bumpers
-black interior (no more rainbow for this guy)
-harness mod'ed for a 91-94 ECU but still wired for 90 engine plugs
-GVR4 suspension

Sadly, that big beautiful JMF SMIM wasn't included. But the JMF race bumper was!

Stay tuned.

im suprised they are so tough for a 1990 car, in ma we just got new inspection machines along with new rules and if its 1995 and under its just a visual/safety inspection even though its a obd2 it was just safety, you shoulda found a little garage that does inspection and give the guy a couple hundred bucks to pass it....always works!

Maryland has very strict inspections. The flip side of that is that you only get the vehicle inspected when it is sold or when you move to the state. So once it passes, you're good to go.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back