The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

11's on 14b & stock sidemount.

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DSMotorsport

Vendor/Site Sponsor
20+ Year Contributor
Jun 8, 2002
Island results from 8/6
Practicing for Shootout stock appearing class next weekend
12.142 @ 109.89 1.642 rich on top, bogged launch (6000rpm studderbox)
11.950 @ 111.27 1.562 leaned out, minor tire spin
11.932 @ 111.12 1.580 spun tires hardon launch
12.063 @ 109.15 1.546 hooked up better, but hot lapped...heat soaked sidemount ic.

then
14 @ 105 in FWD mode. Broke the drivers side 4 bolt axle on launch. snapped off clean at the splines. end of night for the talon.

anyway 24psi dropping right away to 21psi on 14b. Stock 1G sidemount IC and lower pipes. IT would run really clean 1-2 and most of 3rd gear then knock started creaping up past 15-20. it would max 43 at top of 3rd gear. all of 4th gear was 43 knock count. At the end of a run we would feel the sidemount in the pits..."burn your hands" hot still on the bottom endtank. That's killing the top end im sure.

So we have a solid 11.9/12.0 stock appearing car, possibly better with more track prep. It can definatly run a 1.4 60' if Norwalk preps the track like they normally do.

So ended up about 3 tenths away from the 14b-no nitrous record (11.6) with no fmic, cams, intake manifold, porting or headwork and a bit more weight than the GRNMCHN.

Basic mod list:
2.0L Ross/Eagle shortblock & metal HG
stock 1g head/cams/intake/tb
Dejon upper ic pipe, stock 1g sidemount, lower pipes, and bov
14b with 7cm turbine housing i/stock nternal gate
1g o2 housing..no porting, 3" turboback VRS exhaust
walbro 255, FIC 550's, stock fpr
VPC, AFC, Keydiver stage 3 chip, aem WBO2 gauge
ACT 2600, ACT flywheel, welded center diff, 4 bolt rear
BFG 235 60 15 comp ta drag radials on 5 x 8 weld wheels
3015lb total weight with driver (im 200 even) :rolleyes: kinda portly for a "racecar"

Nitrous kit is not on the car...only thing there is the wiring. Bottle, solonoids, fogger all were removed so noone can complain at the shootout. :thumb:

Definatly. It was cool last night and the IC was getting stupid hot. At the shootout in the daytime it will be even worse. I have a local guy willing to lend me a supra sidemount for the weekend, that's my last resort. Im really trying to get a better intercooler for the shootout, as I think it's worth atleast 2 tenth.

will be putting a new fmic on after the shootout once the stock appearing stuff is done.

Nathan, what fuel and nitrous jettings will you be using when you hook up the nitrous? 22 fuel and 41 nitrous?= 75 shot right?

-Jake

evil_eagle said:
Nathan, what fuel and nitrous jettings will you be using when you hook up the nitrous? 22 fuel and 41 nitrous?= 75 shot right?

-Jake

40 34/18
50 37/22
60 39/24
70 41/26
80 43/28
100 46/30
125 53/33
150 61/38

evil_eagle said:

-Jake

I had the 80 shot nitrous jet with the recomended fuel jet at the GRM race.

I have run the 100 shot nitrous jet with the 80 shot fuel jet and it was still rich (10.8)

I honestly dont' know what im going to do with the nitrous setup. I was going to put a 4 port on and get rediculus with the ntirous hit, but now I think the car can put down a high 10 with the single fogger. I want to chase down leon's 14b no-nitrous record first though.

Ultimatly I want to run a new personal pest ET in the car this season, so 10.84 or better will probobly require a good 80-90hp hit on top of an 11.6 engine setup.

I really can't make any solid guestimates though as the motor we had in the car for all the nitrous passes had only 130psi in it's best cyl and 92 in it's worst. we had a crappy headgasket seal on the junkyard motor since day one. Could be becuase it was in the junkyard for headgasket problem to begin with...we just pulled the head, replace the stock gasket , and bolted it back together. Budget racing at it's finest. That junk motor was pushing more hp into the cooling system the harder we pushed it, so the bigger ntirous hits seemed to have a "diminishing returns" to it on the higher settings. We would see less and less of a mph gain with each addtional jump up in jetting.

rcarrier said:
40 34/18
50 37/22
60 39/24
70 41/26
80 43/28
100 46/30
125 53/33
150 61/38

The recomended jetting from NOS was very very rich on our car, it would peg the aem wideband. On the 100hp jets we were using 46/25 jets If memory serves me. Stock 1g turbo FPR. we had a non turbo FPR in there for a while that made it even richer.

91TSiGuy said:
The recomended jetting from NOS was very very rich on our car, it would peg the aem wideband. On the 100hp jets we were using 46/25 jets If memory serves me. Stock 1g turbo FPR. we had a non turbo FPR in there for a while that made it even richer.
Actually i ran a 46/21 with great results!

awdsm drft said:
Lower your boost. You'll go faster.

Agree'd...im sure the crazy knock is hurting the power way more than the a couple of psi is gaining.I was playing with the base timing trying to get it under control, but didn't get any results there.

Thats awesome!!!!!. I'm sure glad to see another AWD car break into the 11's, not using the bottle. So now you and Leon are the ones to chase and the only AWD cars to make it into the 11's with no spray. I was hoping to hit 11's in my last two outings, but too many technical difficulties. I could just never get everything to come together like I was hoping. But when I get back to Japan with the car, watch out. Keep up the good work guys! Represent that 14b at the big shootout, I hope to hear good things.

:thumb:

Jose
ArcticTsi

GRNDSM said:
Nice runs Nate! I only whish I could run over 20psi on my 14b :(.

Leon
RR

Well..as you say with the high compression, I don't think it was gaining much. I have a crappy stock sidemount and it was knocking up a storm. It probobly would have made more mph down at 18psi than it does at 22.

I have to say that I haven't ever had this much fun going to the dragstrip as I have had recently with the 14b. I think it adds alot to the excitement to be chasing a record and pushing a specific setup to the limit.

ArcticTsi said:
Thats awesome!!!!!. I'm sure glad to see another AWD car break into the 11's, not using the bottle. So now you and Leon are the ones to chase and the only AWD cars to make it into the 11's with no spray. I was hoping to hit 11's in my last two outings, but too many technical difficulties. I could just never get everything to come together like I was hoping. But when I get back to Japan with the car, watch out. Keep up the good work guys! Represent that 14b at the big shootout, I hope to hear good things.

:thumb:

Jose
ArcticTsi

Thanks....Good luck also on your chase for 11's on 14b. It's tough getting the stars to all line up so to speak.

I cannot wait to see what this thing does with a good fmic and 200 lb removed.

First off let me say congrats for all you guys that are pushing the limits of the 14b. You guys make it hard to race someone when they say "I dont want to race you because your car can go 11s on your stock turbos on street tires".Thats pretty funny coming from a supra owner. I do have a couple of question tho. What kind of timing were you guys runing with nitrous? Did anyone retard there timing to run the 80 or a 100 shot and if so how much and what was the results on the car. Also how fast was the car when it was setup for nitrous and you didnt use it. I know everyone was on race gas but I had to ask before I tryed it and blew my motor. I dont know if i really want to spray the car but its been on my mind. I still going to get the car tuned either way tho. :thumb: keep up the good work. It give alot of other people hope with our slow cars.

DSMotorsport said:
Well..as you say with the high compression, I don't think it was gaining much. I have a crappy stock sidemount and it was knocking up a storm. It probobly would have made more mph down at 18psi than it does at 22.

I have to say that I haven't ever had this much fun going to the dragstrip as I have had recently with the 14b. I think it adds alot to the excitement to be chasing a record and pushing a specific setup to the limit.

...water injection maybe be the answer to the knock and small IC if you can get you hands on one for this weekend.

>I have to say that I haven't ever had this much fun going to the dragstrip as I have
>had recently with the 14b.

You are catching on! :)

That is one of the reasons why I keep going back to it! It is a lot of fun and safe for your car. You just have to drive it well, which is also good for not braking your car.

Come on Nate, please give me a reason to bolt 14b back on the Green Machine :).

Leon
RR

Going fast with few mods is fun in any car.

I'd recommend water injection if you're having high knock, low timing issues. Expect MASSIVE gains.

GRNDSM said:
>I have to say that I haven't ever had this much fun going to the dragstrip as I have
>had recently with the 14b.

You are catching on! :)

That is one of the reasons why I keep going back to it! It is a lot of fun and safe for your car. You just have to drive it well, which is also good for not braking your car.

Come on Nate, please give me a reason to bolt 14b back on the Green Machine :).

Leon
RR

Dude...don't think Im not trying! Going to take some addtional work though, at the moment Im restricted by SA rules....2 week and hopefully you will be itching to 14b again. :p

number3 said:
...water injection maybe be the answer to the knock and small IC if you can get you hands on one for this weekend.

Eh...honestly making the car faster for stock appearing isnt' all that important to me. I got about 400 things on my mind getting ready to leave..the last thing I have time to do is rig up another tuning variable. Im sure it would work....but all that trouble for one day...the car will get either a FMIC or a water Ic once we get back from SO.

Nate,

I only have 381 things to think before this weekend (My wifes Bday on Thursday doesn't help) but I truely understand. ;)

I was just throwing out a suggestion that, due to the amount of things on all our minds, may have elluded you. :)

I can't wait to see that car kick ass on Sunday. See you this weekend.

Later,

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back