The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

Restoration/Revival Project ('93 Prelude 4WS)

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

First impression, I'm satisfied with this muffler. Nice tips. Also, surprisingly, the fitment is going to be ridiculously correct. The body of the muffler is the same length, and the tips protrude from the muffler the same amount. I bet I'll be the only person to have used this muffler on a 4th gen Prelude, but it fits so perfectly. I'm excited to see how this sounds.

20240108_175433.jpg

20240108_183107.jpg

20240108_175516.jpg

The ignition switch has gone bad. No power to anything unless it were in the starting position. Starts but only runs for a split second until the key returns to on position. I had to order a new switch & loom from Parts Geek. It comes as no surprise that I couldn't find one locally. The diagnosis and removal has been less than fun but going smoothly.

20240126_113503.jpg

20240126_114456.jpg

In for sound clips
Oh I'll definitely make a video. I've had a tendency to record all of my exhaust setups in the past few years. But unfortunately it may be a while before I install the muffler. Aside from other financial burdens on my property, my exhaust guy is treating me strangely. I've been dealing with him since I was a teenager installing glasspacks, and suddenly it's going to be $285 to weld up this muffler that fits directly. We've done much more intricate exhaust setups and only charged me $100-$150 for welding them. I considered welding it myself but Phillip welds with such perfection. I'm not sure what's up with that.

The new ignition switch was delivered today but I'm too tired to install it tonight.

Oh I'll definitely make a video. I've had a tendency to record all of my exhaust setups in the past few years. But unfortunately it may be a while before I install the muffler. Aside from other financial burdens on my property, my exhaust guy is treating me strangely. I've been dealing with him since I was a teenager installing glasspacks, and suddenly it's going to be $285 to weld up this muffler that fits directly. We've done much more intricate exhaust setups and only charged me $100-$150 for welding them. I considered welding it myself but Phillip welds with such perfection. I'm not sure what's up with that.

The new ignition switch was delivered today but I'm too tired to install it tonight.

Sucks to hear about the welding dude. Maybe just ask him if you did anything to offend him, or why it's more expensive than you planned? You don't have to challenge him or be rude about it like others are gonna suggest. Wife told me like 13-14 years ago when I was faced with a similar situation and everyone was encouraging me to be mean/throw things/be angry, she asked "Do you have to be mean? Can you not just ask him nice, but firm?" sh*t was life changing. So just be reasonable and approach him, may be some extenuating circumstances. $285 to weld on a muffler with no fab work or etc is honestly ridiculous though, not gonna lie.

I got fully custom, back-purged TIG welded, bead rolled, mandrel bent aluminum intercooler piping with a new HKS Flange, new IAT sensor bung, and custom exhaust work for well less than $1000. I think I only spent like $750 total, and this INCLUDES him coming to pick my car up, from my house, and load it onto his own personal trailer(he insisted on doing all the loading himself), and drive 1+ hour back to his shop. In this current economy. Lol. So just popping a muffler on should be cake.

Unfortunately it may be a while before I install the muffler. My exhaust guy is treating me strangely. Suddenly it's going to be $285 to weld up this muffler that fits directly. We've done much more intricate exhaust setups and only charged me $100-$150 for welding them.
Find someone else. That’s a simple enough job that you can probably take it to most exhaust shops and be fine.

Haven't put much work into the car over the past couple of months. Besides installing an old Pacesetter tri-y header that I practically stole for $100 (they were in the $400's over a decade ago and are discontinued). It appears to outflow the stock manifold/downpipe combo by a long shot, and looks great with fiberglass wrap to keep things cool. I had a fun ride yesterday though. I drove it out to get the monthly fluid flow, and a 2022-ish Hyundai Sonata turbo wanted to play. I don't know much about those cars, but I walked him even with that little "pssh pssh" BOV he was running. I have enough torque low down that I started pulling off before his turbo could spool up. I just want to note that I drive this car very casually and take care of it, but that was a fun ass time. I had no idea this engine would rev to 7500rpm. And maybe more but I was shifting there out of fear. It sounds crazy up there and the cast rods may give up if I push them too far. Anyway, that's a win for the books, and probably the only one I'll ever get LOL

Did it actually have cracks? ROFL
Man if I pulled that shit growing up, I would've had a welder thrown at me and told to weld them up LOL . Which actually works, by the way. I've welded a few cracked manifolds over the years and they keep on going.

An surprisingly, there were no cracks on this manifold. I'm holding onto it in case of the need/want to reinstall it for some reason.

. I had no idea this engine would rev to 7500rpm. And maybe more but I was shifting there out of fear. It sounds crazy up there.....
Yessssssssss!

Haven't put much work into the car over the past couple of months. Besides installing an old Pacesetter tri-y header that I practically stole for $100
Nice!

Any progress in making up with the exhaust dude or finding someone else?

Any progress in making up with the exhaust dude or finding someone else?
The car still has the stock muffler for now. I haven't had the time or energy to push the "issue" yet. I have been asking friends and family where they get their work done, and it seems like I can't trust the local exhaust shops. Looking at their setups, some of the welds are all boogered up with wires hanging. I'm definitely not paying someone to ruin my exhaust. Some people are just fine with that, with the "it's underneath the vehicle so who cares" mentality. But I'm far too particular about this car to settle. I can hang a muffler no problem, but I'd prefer to find someone who aims for perfection. Which is what Phillip does. I figure he'll slow down this winter and take me in for the price I want. I think part of the issue is that I reached out to him in a busy time, and I usually get my stuff done quickly, in and out- and I watch him work. He basically was asking more to put other jobs on hold. For now the muffler is wrapped in plastic and waiting in the shop cabinet for me to make the move.

I'm hoping to get back on the dyno this summer, if I can work that in the plans. It was shortly after my dyno session last year that I began discovering serious engine issues. I'd like to see where it's at with all that straightened out, and a better flowing exhaust. I mean, I was literally blowing oil through the exhaust on every pull but still making good torque numbers.

I drove it out to get the monthly fluid flow, and a 2022-ish Hyundai Sonata turbo wanted to play. I don't know much about those cars, but I walked him even with that little "pssh pssh" BOV he was running. LOL

They aren't like, SLOW per se, but they aren't world beaters either. The mid 2010's range of turbo sonatas are actually the fastest, at like 0-60 of 5.8-6.1ish and low 14's. But after 2020 they put the super small turbos on them and had 0-60 in the high 6's-low 7's, and just are dogs by comparison.

It's still an accomplishment. They aren't exactly slouches.

I really want this car. Donate it to me. I'll even shake your hand. :p

If it gets donated to anyone, it will be to a museum on the day I decide I'm too old to drive it anymore LOL . I really don't want to let this one go, not unless I have to. The odds of me finding another one are second to none.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back