The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support Rix Racing

420A Not cranking when hot

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sinisa

Probationary Member
May 13, 2014
Ank, Europe
First of all car is forged 420a with ms3. I want to get rid of this problem before adding turbo.

Engine runs good, idles good and does not overheat or die anytime. Fans run and stop with the temp.

After some driving with few pulls and shut it for short time (for gasoline etc..) it does not crank until it fully cool down. It starts if we push start or jump start it.

Its not battery because it cranks normally when engine cools down (battery is relocated to back). Everything seems fine when i looked from tunerstudio. So i changed the starter and solenoid but the problem continues.

Any suggestions?

Last edited by a moderator:
So you’ve concluded it’s not the battery, but you can jumpstart it when this happens? How are you attaching cables to jump: under hood or on battery in rear?

I hear that fuel pump turns on when ignition on. Does it mean starter relay is ok?

Sorry. IDK what triggers the fuel pump on a 420a. It probably has its own relay for the fuel pump and same for starter.

My guess would be you’re not getting starter signal when it’s hot. Easy test. Pull the starter solenoid signal wire and put a multimeter or test light. Have someone turn the key. Test light will light, multimeter should read battery voltage.

Could also be the coolant temp sensor. Check it's signal
Actually i want to ask this
Is there any protection mechanism in stock ecu that when ecu thinks engine is overheated it prevents cranking?
I can see the temp in tunerstudio its normal
I tried unplugging the one that controls the gauge in cluster nothing happens
is there any other sensor than this two?

that’s worth considering, and I don’t know the 420 ( or ecu function) well enough to answer it. I’m still puzzled that it won’t crank on its own, but can be jumped. That describes a simple lack of voltage from the battery. Seems like somewhere there is a thermo switch that is staying on and stealing power, so there is not enough to crank. Are fans running while you’re attempting to start? A/c mag clutch? Check voltage at the starter while starting, both cold and hot conditions. Not that that’s easy, but that would confirm that it’s not a relay or other circuit gremlin.

Is there any protection mechanism in stock ecu that when ecu thinks engine is overheated it prevents cranking?
I can see the temp in tunerstudio its normal
I tried unplugging the one that controls the gauge in cluster nothing happens
is there any other sensor than this two?
There is not. It should start regardless of temp if everything is functioning properly.

The smaller sensor is for the gauge only. It won't affect anything if it's bad.
The larger one is what told the stock ecu to enter/exit closed loop. If it were bad you would be getting too much fuel for a hot start. It's odd that it isn't even hitting though. With too much fuel you'd at least get backfires or something.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back