The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support Rix Racing

Need help with air compressor

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nicknorth11

15+ Year Contributor
Feb 9, 2005
Grand Blanc, Michigan
Hey everyone. I own a Kobalt 30 gallon compressor with the following specs:
2 cylinder
1.6 running hp
155 max psi
5.3 scfm 90 psi
6.2 scfm 40 psi

It seems to be working fine for most of my tools, but has never been able to power my ingersoll rand impact wrench (1/2", 90 psig) or rachet. In fact, it won't turn them at all. I recently took the tools to a local tire shop and asked them to plug them into their air hose to verify they work, and they both work perfectly. Also, I am using a 1/2", 100' hose.

Do you guys have any ideas why this isn't working or things I can do to make them work?

Thats a pretty good length of hose for that that size of a compressor.Are you trying to use the tools while its loading or when the tanks full? Do you have any moisture traps/filters between the tank and hose end? If you do and their plugged, that with the hose length you have may be enough of a pressure drop to not be able to power those tools.

(edit) Just look up the specs on 1/2'' I.R. impacts.Not sure which model you have but the MAX,2700,2900 models are rated to use 24 cfm's.So thats your answer, your compressor is not big enough to run them.Probably need somewhere between a 5-10hp compressor to use those guys.

Last edited:
Yes, the regulator is turned all the way up. I am waiting until the compressor is completely full. I have removed both filters with the same outcome. My model is an older one (235). I bought it in '05 and just tried using it for the first time a week or so ago. I can't find the specs on it regarding cfm's. (I no longer have the paper work for it.) Wouldn't the air ratchet require much less air anyway?

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back