The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

Laser Rst bucks while building boost

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

91_LaserRs

Probationary Member
Feb 11, 2010
Lima, Ohio
well my car is doing something way weird, when im trying to build boost i hit 0lbs in 1st gear and every gear after its a 8lbs the car bucks and throws a cel and wont let me rev over 5k except in 1st its 3k rpms. i cant figure out what the problem is

it started to do this after i changed out a blown head gasket, ive replaced the gasket with a cometic, new ngk plugs, diff cas, new power transistor, diff cop setup, diff ecu. i just cant seem to figure it out.

my mods include, stock ecu, .020 over pistons, acl race bearing, arp wherever i can get them. (head,rods,main,balancer) bc 272 cams, stock ic setup, external wg 10lb spring, 3in thermal exhaust, aftermarket o2 housing, 2g exhaust mani. thats all the mods i feel that i need to list to help me out with this issue

thanks

the car bucks and THROWS A CEL and wont let me rev over 5k except in 1st its 3k rpms. i cant figure out what the problem is
Its telling you what the problem is, whats the CEL? Check for boost leaks if you can't build boost and its bucking.

:dsm:

i can try but when it does it after i get out of the gas the light goes away. will it store the codes so i can pull them when i get there?

i can try but when it does it after i get out of the gas the light goes away. will it store the codes so i can pull them when i get there?
If the CEL is flashing and then disappears then thats a different story, you need to get the ECU to hold the code. If the car misfires the CEL will flash but won't store the code unless it does it consistantly.

Check for boost leaks and check the condition of your spark plugs as well.

According to your profile are you still running your stock 450cc injectors? Just wondering since you have a bigger fuel pump and an AFPR as well. Whats your base fuel pressure set to?

Check the gap of your sparkplugs, check your sparkplug wires, do a boostleak test. It seems that you are getting a pretty bad misfire and its throwing a check engine light as a result. Misfire CEL's eventually go away and this is what is happening with your car. Also, make sure to check your Cam angle sensor's position- that it is not 180 degrees backwards and finally check your ignition timing. Hope this helps

We put link in the car and found a power wire almost broke on the ecm but the car just stops at 6k. It seems like its hitting limiter and when it does this it stops the datalog on link as well. The cel blinks but I cant get a code out of it. Any ideas? Plugs are new no leaks changed the cas. Im stumped and so is my friend who is usually pretty decent at figuring things out on these cars.

We put link in the car and found a power wire almost broke on the ecm but the car just stops at 6k. It seems like its hitting limiter and when it does this it stops the datalog on link as well. The cel blinks but I cant get a code out of it. Any ideas? Plugs are new no leaks changed the cas. Im stumped and so is my friend who is usually pretty decent at figuring things out on these cars.
Post a log... :aha:

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back