The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Dust shields on brake rotors

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DGajre777

DSM Wiseman
Jul 16, 2004
Orlando, Florida
I just bought these on ebay for $250.
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

They are Brembo rotors, the same ones sold on www.sportbrakes.com. I will be getting PBR Metal Master brake pads for these too.

My question is, Can I remove the dust shields behind all my rotors and trash them?

I don't drive my car on dirt roads, grass or on sand. My car is driven only on concrete roads. I think that the additional cooling on the other side of the rotor will help the brakes cool a lot more. I did a search for "remove dust shield" and did not find any useful information.

Anyone ever do this?

Attachments

You must be registered for see attachments list
Yes you can remove them. They are as much to stop brake pad dust from getting everywhere in your wheel well as they are stopping foreign material from invading your hub. However they are not critical and can be removed.

Every part on your car was designed for a purpose. The shields are for safety and reliablity. Almost every car has one, and this is because they are proven to be effective. But on the other hand, I also do hate seeing the dust shields everyday. But why remove something unless there is a specific purpose. To me, safety and reliablity is more important than looks.

Removing them may even help in the extra cooling of the new rotors. The brembos have better vanes on the sides that can be blocked by the stock dust shields.

If you decide to go with Ceramic pads, you will see less dusting and cleaner wheels (and car).

Tevenor said:
When the part no longer serves a purpose, it's ok to remove them. As long as you realize the consequences.

Very true. Most people don't realize what the setbacks will be of what they are doing til after it has happened.

I used to work in a brake shop, and one of the problems that several people would have is that small rocks would get between the rotors and the brake pads. Although this could happen with or with out the dust shield in place, I am sure that it does help prevent it. Just my .02.

Small rocks?

Not to argue semantics, but I'm curious, have you actually ever seen this happen? Technically, the pads and rotor are close enough to be considered touching; a large enough gap for rocks to work their way in would indicate a malfunction somewhere in the brake system.

c5chris said:
Removing them may even help in the extra cooling of the new rotors. The brembos have better vanes on the sides that can be blocked by the stock dust shields.

If you decide to go with Ceramic pads, you will see less dusting and cleaner wheels (and car).

I can't find a store online to buy ceramic PBRs, anyone know any? I had a local guy tell me ceramics eat up rotors. :confused:

What consequences are we talking about by me removing them? Foreign material invading my hub? Now I'm thinking about just leaving them on. I obviously don't want anything being damaged in my hub area.

Is there anyone here who removed their dust shields on a daily driver car?

VelocitàPaola said:
Small rocks?

Not to argue semantics, but I'm curious, have you actually ever seen this happen? Technically, the pads and rotor are close enough to be considered touching; a large enough gap for rocks to work their way in would indicate a malfunction somewhere in the brake system.

I said rock, but it would be better if I said pebble. I know that it does not happen to very many people but it does happen. I guess I would have seen something like this more due to the fact that I worked in a place that specialized in just brakes. It does happen. Then again we saw some weird stuff that people would do to their brakes.

I just bought some Ceramic-Kevlar pads from this site. http://www.importrp.com
D 718 RU/3 PBR/Axxis Ultimate (Ceramic - Kevlar) FRONT Brake Pad Set $41.49
D 383 RU/4 PBR/Axxis Ultimate (Ceramic - Kevlar) REAR Brake Pad Set $36.99
I hope these are the right part numbers.

I had mine removed on my fwd for about a year b/c I bent them when I was tring to remove the rusted solid warped rotors and I didnt have any ill effects. I sold the car to a friend and he hasnt had any problems either. The car was driven down gravel roads and driven in winter and rain.

steve-o_95_GST said:
I had mine removed on my fwd for about a year b/c I bent them when I was tring to remove the rusted solid warped rotors and I didnt have any ill effects. I sold the car to a friend and he hasnt had any problems either. The car was driven down gravel roads and driven in winter and rain.

Was your car a daily driven car? All I get here is rain. No snow or gravel roads.

Mine are so rusted and corroded on the fronts that its like they aren't even there anymore. Havent had any problems yet and im in Wisconsin (snow,rain,gravel,sand,dirt,roadkill)

Well I had to ditch the brake shields when I just did my Wilwood big brake install. I tried to make them work but I couldn't get the 4 piston caliper centered properly on the rotor with the shields in place so I had to remove them. I've only run them like that for a couple days so I can't tell you the long term results. I wouldn't think that you would have to lose them with most big brake installs?

My gsx doesn't have the shields on the front, that's how I bought it. I bet very few people have ill effects from doing this, but it can't help by removing them. And about the pebble, it happened on my prelude, I don't remeber how it happened cause it was years ago, but I do remember getting a noise in my brakes because of a pebble.

If anything, a pebble is more likely to get caught in the dust shield. Paul's right. Under normal conditions, you can't fit a piece of paper between the pads and rotor, much less a pebble.

I'll add myself to the list of people have been operating without duest shields with no ill effects.

When I worked as a mechanic, I saw the pebble scenario happen once in 4 years, so it can/does happen. The car in question still had it's "dust shields" on. I believe the real name should be "splash shields" since the only difference I've noticed without them is the rotors seem to get wetter (subjective, I know) when I drive through deeper puddles. Also they would make a fine place to mount cooling ducts someday, if they weren't already gone.

Or you can do the best of both worlds and trim them to the point where they cant be seen from the outside but they are stilt here. Just cut the flap that bends outward and leave the rest ebhind the rotor. It will still be there to protect the rotor and will be out of site.

gridlyne said:
Or you can do the best of both worlds and trim them to the point where they cant be seen from the outside but they are stilt here. Just cut the flap that bends outward and leave the rest ebhind the rotor. It will still be there to protect the rotor and will be out of sight.

That's a good idea, but I want to remove them for more cooling on the rotors instead of for looks. :thumb:

I'll get them next week, I post some pics and write a review on the rotors when I get them.

underradar92 said:
Also they would make a fine place to mount cooling ducts someday, if they weren't already gone.

Which is exactly why I'm trying to track down a set of dual piston caliper dust shields for my car :thumb:

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Latest Classifieds

• Wanted 2g 2gb awd rear passenger knuckle
    Wtb 2gb awd rear passenger knuckle
    • Tkuhn89
    • Updated:
    • Expires
  • For sale 4G63 Few parts
    Few parts-6 bolt oil filter housing with oil cooler/ -10 an line/fittings 10”x6”x1.5” oil...
    • Dsm_canadian_mike
    • Updated:
    • Expires
  • For sale Auto parts
    Auto 1g/2g parts
    • jweber
    • Updated:
    • Expires
  • Wanted 1g Fuel level sending unit
    RTM Racing
    • TuskeeTuner
    • Updated:
    • Expires
  • For sale 4G63 Kosei K1 Wheels with Tires
    16 X 7 Kosei K1 Wheels $700 ( Pick Up in 08080 NJ )- I just recently had these freshly powder...
    • jersygsx
    • Updated:
    • Expires
Back