The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

4G64 con rod bolt torque

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

moni

Probationary Member
Apr 27, 2020
mandurah, Australia
Hi,
Am rebuilding the engine in my 2001 starwagon which is a 4g64 auto. The balance shaft bearing appears to have failed which has resulted in one of the big ends failing and ruining the crankshaft. Anyway had to get another bottom end which I am rebuilding. I have a workshop manual but the tension spec for the con rod cap bolts seems to high. After a bit of research I have discovered there is a six bolt and seven bolt block which have different crankshafts and rods and different size con rod bolts. 8mm for the 7 bolt engine and 9mm for the 6 bolt engine. My engine is a seven bolt which has the smaller 8mm con rod bolts. Can anyone tell me the correct torque spec for these bolts?
Dave

o.k. Thanks for that. Was a bit concerned that tension would be a bit high. That is what my workshop manual says but could not work out if it was referring to 6 bolt or 7 bolt engine. The 6 bolt has 9mm con rod bolts and the 7 bolt has 8mm. Have seen other reference to a torque of 32 ft/lb.
Dave

o.k. Thanks for that. Was a bit concerned that tension would be a bit high. That is what my workshop manual says but could not work out if it was referring to 6 bolt or 7 bolt engine. The 6 bolt has 9mm con rod bolts and the 7 bolt has 8mm. Have seen other reference to a torque of 32 ft/lb.
Dave
For 6 bolt, it's 37-39 ft/lbs.

Interesting. So the 6 bolt with the 9mm bolts is about the same as 7 bolt with 8mm bolt. Did a trial torque on an old 7 bolt engine rod at 14 ft/lb plus 90 degrees. Used torque wrench to do the 90 degrees and went to about 38 ft/lb. Think I will just tension them to 32 ft/lb.
Dave

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back