The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

2G 2g Eclipse GST FWD shocks

Please Support Rix Racing

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Covoss

Proven Member
Apr 18, 2024
Martinsville, Indiana
I'm at the point where the car runs well enough to where I don't want to feel like I'm accidentally hitting switches in a lowrider. My suspension is All the way gone. I'm looking for a cheap, decent solution. I'd be cool with recommended eBay. Shocks or coilovers, or stock stuff. Kind of just looking for a decent ride at a decent price point. Do you guys know anything?

By the way, I see all the similar threads now, I find it funny that when I look up 2G eclipse shocks it takes me forever to find a single thread with recommendations but now that I've posted I can see a million of them! LOL

Avoid Moog OE style springs for your struts.
I had 8" of gound clearance with them.

What's your budget for suspension? Are you looking to raise ride height or control rates

I've just ordered OE struts, I didn't realize how cheap they were going to be. To be honest with you, it was kind of crazy. But eventually I plan on going to adjustable coilovers. Nothing too fancy but something that's solid.

Soooo I just realized that if I buy oe from rock auto I have to put the coil on the strut myself. I'd rather not. So any cheap reliable aftermarket options that is the whole assembly? Are maxspeedings any good? I assume not at the price point but thought I'd ask.

Soooo I just realized that if I buy oe from rock auto I have to put the coil on the strut myself. I'd rather not. So any cheap reliable aftermarket options that is the whole assembly? Are maxspeedings any good? I assume not at the price point but thought I'd ask.
As far as I know, they don't make fully assembled strut assemblies. Its not really that hard, but you'll need spring compressors to do it yourself. I would guess that the cheap coilover assemblies are hit or miss, but I have no experience.

Yeah I have a spring compressor. I just don't want to use it. I like my face. I understand if used right they are safe. But they're not. I just don't agree actually. I'd rather pay more for coil overs that i don't have to put together. I think I'm going to try a cheap option to get me back on the road but as its a place I don't want to cheap out on I'll be looking into better options soon. Thank you!

Not a ton of options for coilovers, but enough to find a set within a few budgets. On the cheap side are MaxSpeed, Yonaka, Tein. That ranges from like $300, $500, $900. Ive heard better things about Yonaka than Ive heard about MaxSpeed, but Ive not owned, nor have ridden in a car with either. I think I came across a video the other night about MaxSpeed and there was some additional work that the guy had to do to install the bolt that holds the rear shocks to the forks. He had open the forks a bit with 2 pry bars to get the rears to slide in.

In the $1000+ range, you have BC Racing, Feal, FlatOut, Fortune Auto

You could always bring the coils and struts to a mechanic and pay him to mount them for you and then you install it yourself to save some dollars. Would be a cheap option as well if you wanted to save money for better coilovers later on.

Last edited:
I didn't think about making it somebody else's problem LOL. I think I'm going to try the Max speeding rods as they're going to be about the same price if not cheaper. Thank you!

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back