The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

1G cam-side motor mount

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SnP9000

Probationary Member
Nov 12, 2023
Chicago, Illinois
Hello DSM experts...

I'm part way through a timing belt job/front end reseal on my mom's 1992 Eclipse GS 2.0 5 speed. I can remember doing this job with my father over 20 years ago! I'm doing a mini cosmetic resto and mechanical to get it fit for her to enjoy after a brief 6 year hiatus from our family. My dad bought it for her in like 1997 or '98.

I found the cam side motor mount is in two pieces so I need to find a replacement. My mom is 63 this year and has no need for fancy mounts and would desire maximum vibration attenuation. The owner who bought it from me in 2017 put headers on it and she complained she didn't like the sound so OEM everything is better! The car is otherwise virtually all stock so it only makes maybe 12 horsepower and will never make more in all likelihood so I see no need for polyurethane upgrades. But that begs the question, in my searching it seems the OEM rubber mount may not be available anymore? I think I saw some used ones on the innernet but prefer to replace with new. What would you do here? Do you guys have a source for half decent soft engine mounts for my mom?

-Luke

OEM replacement would be good, like the one in the link below.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Edit: I don't know why but it seems Amazon link is not working well for some reason.
Please search with "WESTAR EM9206" in Amazon or in google.

Last edited:
This should be your left side mount:

Note that it has two rubber stopper/cushions, one on each side of the mount that are not included with the mount.
Also if your old mount is totally shot, the exhaust flex section takes a burden from the engine sagging. So you might want to inspect that too.

Why is it that I can't see amazon links anymore? I just see a blank space. I have to quote the listing to see it is Amazon ID B006EILTIY
That is actually the same mount as I listed above from RA but half the price.

Oh that looks pretty good! I don't necessarily trust the Amazon compatibility tool, but it says doesn't fit my 92 Eclipse, and that part doesn't come up in the list on RockAuto if I enter in my car's details. Is there any reason to think that isn't what I need? There can't be that much variation in these mounts, right?

If I sound paranoid it's because I spend a lot of my spare time wrenching on a 93 BMW 850Ci which is a huge challenge to get correct parts for...I spend as much time returning stuff as I do actually replacing parts!

Why is it that I can't see amazon links anymore? I just see a blank space. I have to quote the listing to see it is Amazon ID B006EILTIY
That is actually the same mount as I listed above from RA but half the price.
Yes that's why I edited my post . Something is wrong with the Amazon link and I put the Amazon one because the pricing is half than Rockauto.

Oh that looks pretty good! I don't necessarily trust the Amazon compatibility tool, but it says doesn't fit my 92 Eclipse, and that part doesn't come up in the list on RockAuto if I enter in my car's details. Is there any reason to think that isn't what I need? There can't be that much variation in these mounts, right?

If I sound paranoid it's because I spend a lot of my spare time wrenching on a 93 BMW 850Ci which is a huge challenge to get correct parts for...I spend as much time returning stuff as I do actually replacing parts!
It's a 4g63 NA right? It's the same PN as the turbo model - MB436741. This mount is also the same with an Automatic and Manual trans. Not so much for the other mount and two roll stops.

Yes its the 4G63 2.0 NA FWD 5 speed version. If you guys are confident that's what I need then that is good enough for me. I see the rubber bit in the photo looks a little different than what my mount looks like which is the thing giving me pause. My rubber bushing is almost totally solid, big chunk of rubber where that one seems to have some thick bars of rubber through it to give it more compliance or something. Maybe that is fine.

Here's some photos of my old mount

Edit: I don't know why but it seems Amazon link is not working well for some reason.
Please search with "WESTAR EM9206" in Amazon or in google.
Yup, just ordered one last week when I saw they were available. For future searches they have a sticker with the following information:

21830-33070
BRKT ASS,Y -ENGINE MTG-LH
MADE IN KOREA

Ok, I've got an update. Either mine was welded by a blind man or the Westar 9602/Korean made Hyundai sonata engine mount does not fit a DSM chassis. While all bolt holes are a little bit off, the main issue is that the rubber mount portion that the mounts in the frame rail bracket with the through bolt is canted 5-10 degrees. There is zero way to get the through bolt in.

FIrst I tried lopping off the front part of the motor mount. The part that wraps around the cam gears and bolts to the power steering bracket. That did not help either.

Not all is lost however. I removed the rubber motor mount insert from the Hyundai mount. This is easily done with a cutoff wheel by placing two cuts approximatley 180 degrees apart. When you get close to the rubber mount insert, crack it apart with a chizel. I had it out in 5 mins.

If you haven't already done so you obviously need to remove the torn rubber mount and its shell from the factory mount. There are many ways but I cut the inner shell with a hack saw blade strung through the center of the rubber portion. Once you weaken the shell force it inward with a punch to reduce its grip on the outer wall. A couple whacks from a hammer and she is out. This might take 30 mins.

Next is the hardest part. Pressing the new motor mount insert into your OEM mount. Make sure to line it up like it was in the Hyundai mount before you start pressing it in. It will go in halfway fairly easily with a hammer. The next 25% takes harder blows. Make sure to protect the outer shell of the rubber insert mount as it is soft metal. Use wood or a rubber mallet. The last 25% is difficult. I have a 10 ton press which did the job with about 3.5 tons of force.

Since it was raining I could not drive it more than up and down a 100 foot driveway. However if you can tell the difference between this repaired mount and OEM then you are more sensitive than I am. Ideally we could find a source for just the rubber mount insert. I'm sure they are available, but I don't have the time to chase down how to get them.

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back