The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support Rix Racing

What is wrong with my clutch....??

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

howdeyjake

15+ Year Contributor
Oct 28, 2005
prairie village, Kansas
300 Miles ago I got a new racing clutch off ebay. Holds up to like 400 horsepower. When it was getting put in, I also had my flywheel resurfaced. My clutch has been working GREAT untill the past week. Everytime I put my car in reverse, it shakes and chatters and rattles the whole car. Now its not just a little rattle or shake, it RUMBLES my whole car. Then when I put it in 1st and let the clutch out, it takes about a centimeter of travel to let the whole clutch out, which isn't that easy to do. I have babied this clutch for the first 250 miles, keeping it under 1500rpm when engaging the clutch. Now if I get it up to 2000-2500rpm and start to let the clutch out it chatters and shakes the car, but not as bad as in reverse. Any clue of what could be causing this?? It is really hard to get it into 1st gear and reverse is a joke, it seems like it is KILLING my car every time I back up. Also when in first gear and driving at like 3000rpm, the rpm's fluctuate 2-300 for no apperant reason. Thanks and any help would be GREATLY appreciated!

Thanks,
Jake

wow
as long as the gear oil in your tranny is good and up to level
then I would recommend pulling the clutch and inspecting it.

Is it a puck disc? Sprung? More than likely it is a 4 or 6 puck unsprung disc which will cause chatter if you try and slip it. If it is sprung, it's possible the springs came loose (it seems to be a complaint of cheaper clutches.

It's also possible you just need to learn to drive the different style. Mine still chatters some if I get sloppy with the clutch.

You might try adjusting the clutch pedal if the engagement isn't where you'd like to see it.

It is a 6 puck disk clutch. The thing is that when I put it in reverse and slip the clutch, It shakes like, so bad it is HORRIBLE. You can actually HEAR it shaking and jerking the car. It is NOT normal chatter when in reverse. Also is there a site that shows you how to adjust the clutch? And I'm not getting sloppy with the clutch, I drove a stage 3 racing clutch before I put the new one in with zero problems, and drove this one 250 miles with zero problems. Now it just seems like that it useually takes a couple inches to fully engage the clutch, but now with mine it takes like just a centimeter to fully engage the clutch, so once it even starts to engage, the sudden jerking of the car pretty much engages it the rest of the way. It doesn't matter how slow I engage it, everytime I slip it into 1st, it almost dies. Where do you guys recomend I start slipping the clutch at when going into 1st?? Roughly 2000rpm then let it drop down to 1000 or so for daily driving?? I appreciate all the help!

Thanks,
Jake

I came to this conclusion today. When I let off my clutch going into 1st, it doesn't really slip, it just pretty much grabs all at once and then jerks foward, not really slipping at all. One thing I did notice is that where it engages at, sometimes it get stuck there and doesn't come back out all of the way. IDK if that is relivent or not but i just noticed it was happening. Keep the posts coming.

Jake

check your master cylinder, that would cause it to stick. first check for air in the lines, bleed the clutch. If you have a leak someplace, you could be letting in air which will cause the clutch pedal to stick to the floor.

I also have a 6 puck( Clutchmaster fx400 ), mine chatters as well, not as much as it used to because I have gotten used to driving it. Now it only chatters in reverse and thats because I have to slip it otherwise it grabs like mad.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back