The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Rix Racing

VID*cant get into gear after engine swap?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tturbolife1

15+ Year Contributor
Apr 29, 2008
westwood, New_Jersey
I recently put in a new engine and bought a rebuilt dogbox trans from a friend. I bolted my old clutch setup(xtd) that has about 5k on it and bolted it to the engine. after installing everything( went pretty well) i started it and tried to get into gear. All i get is grinding in every gear. This isnt my first engine swap so i knew i had to adjust the master. I have an extended rod, new master under 5k and new slave around 7k. I bleed the slave, and pulled the master pin all the way out. When i pushed the clutch pedal down, it wont go to the floor. I have to use ALL my strength to push it to the floor , it sort of feels like im pushing the pressure plate teeth all the way making them bend. In the video i showed the slave pin pushing the fork till it gets hard, then pushing with all my strength pushing it even further. I checked my shifter cables, im using synchromesh, i had the same clutch set up as last time so it should not be giving me any new problem. I can shift I have read a few threads on here saying change my master ,change the slave, take off the trans and check everything. I do not think i have assembled the clutch incorrectly and i dont know what else to try. When trying to put it in gear the car will stall. but i can shift when the car is off. Anyone have any advice!?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_profilepage&v=J9XzMr2sol8

Last edited:
You need to adjust your master cylinder rod. If you are bottoming out in the pedal before the clutch touches the floor the master cylinder is maxing out. Look up master cylinder or clutch pedal adjustment and follow that, you should be set. If the problem still isnt fixed after that, get back to us!

Its sprung wouldn't it only fit one way?

It will fit in backwards, trust me I made that mistake on my first clutch job. The clutch disc has a "flat" side and the "raised" side which has the springs you're referring to. The "flat" side should be mounted to the flywheel.

My buddys GSX had an issue similar to this a while back, kind of mad I never did figure out what it was.

Well if i dont figure it out soon i will pull the trans even tho i doubt i flipped the clutch. i bought a new new slave with a stock rod and il see how it works out.

I have changed the slave cylinder today along with a stock rod. I pump bleed the system and i am able to get into gear, But it still feels like a bump in the pedal?

um, maybe the fulcrum ball is worn, or the clutch fork is worn/bent. Did you use a new TOB? Is the TOB clipped in on both sides? Just throwing ideas out there that could possibly affect engagement.

I looked with a flashlight where the fork meets the slave rod and everything looked fine. Im going to have to drop the trans and see whats actually going on in there, i will get back to you.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back