The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support Rix Racing

tire width

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dyncaus

20+ Year Contributor
Jul 24, 2002
Chicago, Illinois
alright, i am going to get new tires tomorrow, prob the kuhmo supra 712's, but i have one problem....the stock tire width for my car is 205/55 i believe, but i checked the tires i have on now, and they are 225/50's.....would it better to go back tot he stock width, or just go ahead and keep it the way they are?

A greater section width will increase friction, which often equates to better handling. 225's will seem less reactive to steering wheel input than 205's due to greater inertial mass, but this may be negligable at a 1 inch difference. Since more contact patch means greater friction, the lifespan of a 225 will be shorter than a 205. And finally bearings, halfshafts and control arm bushings will all be subjected to greater abuse due to increased inertial force and increased unsprung weight. To sum up my lengthy speech, 225's will wear faster on your car and wear your car faster, but barely, and the benefit of greater on road friction is probably worth the inperceptable change in car longevity. I would get the largest tire my wallet and conscience would allow.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back