The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

Take out a loan to rebuild?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eagle_Summit

20+ Year Contributor
Feb 6, 2003
Williston, North_Dakota
Do you guys think its worth it to take out a loan and rebuild :confused: I have quite the speed fetish really. I don't wanna go stroker or nothing. I dont feel safe with the 7bolt in my car realy :p Or do you guys think i should just order piece by piece and eventually rebuild..

I am liking the Longblock specials over at sbr.com

My policy is to never borrow money unless it's an emergency. I mean, if you think about it, with interest you are losing money, where if you just stick it out and save you won't have that problem.

Another resort is to sell some stuff that you don't want anymore. Get on Ebay and get rid of some crap.

Maybe it's just me, but I hate oweing money.

DUDE! LOL, i hate oweing money too, but i dont know, i just want my car to go, LOL. Maybe im just moving things to fast.

my car has sat for 18 months waiting on money

trust me if you want it bad enough you can save the money.

it is going to suck paying that loan for a broken car.

3 words: DON'T DO IT.

If you don't have the money to do it, you can't afford it. And I'm not talking high and mighty either, I'm speaking from experience.

It's hard to save money working the job i work. Only like 250 every 2weeks. and then 120 of it goes to insurance. I have a shitty job though becuz im only 17 and still in school. Theres really no good job openings around here that pay good. Ill keep my eye open though i guess.

Eagle_Summit said:
It's hard to save money working the job i work. Only like 250 every 2weeks. and then 120 of it goes to insurance. I have a shitty job though becuz im only 17 and still in school. Theres really no good job openings around here that pay good. Ill keep my eye open though i guess.

All the more reason not to take out a loan... for multiple reasons.
1. No offense, because many kids younger than me are much more knowledgeable, but you're only 17. When I was 17, I wanted to take a loan out for a stereo system. God I'm glad I didn't. Immature, selfish, uneducated thoughts went through my head at that age.
2. You say you don't have a good job. You'll pay minimum payments for a year, and realize you haven't even put a dent in the loan. And by that time, your motor's blown, you've sold the car, or a million other scenarios.

It's a bad idea. You should just save for what you want. You can do what you want, but I wouldn't do it.

I suppose ill just get a setup piece by piece then. Is it a bad idea to rebuild the motor in my car now? 7 bolt though :thumbdown . I'm not quite sure what to do exactly, all i know is i dont want stock motor. Its not that stock, just want better internals and such.

Your "7 bolt though :thumbdown" is completely ridiculous. If there was a problem with your engine and you needed to rebuild it or replace it, then MAYBE you should get a loan to rebuild it. Have you done a compression test? Is there anything actually wrong with the engine? If not, then there's no reason for you to do it. Your fears because you have a seven bolt make no sense - unfortunately, you've let the CW hype get to you - my seven bolt is doing just fine - and you, like me, have a 1G - there's nothing wrong with the engine. guess what? All EVOs use 7-bolts - you don't see all the EVO owners rushing out to replace their engines for no reason, do you?

The bottom line, like others have said is - if you don't need to put yourself in debt, then don't. It's not fun - I would rather not have taken out a loan to pay for my car, and I'm definitely not happy for all the credit card debt I've amassed fixing things on the car. Debt keeps you from doing what you want to do in the long run - it may give the promise of helping you now, but you'll more than pay for it later... :rolleyes:

Alright Hokie, The CW Scare did get to me a bit, but i always have to stop and think "im 1g, and cw aint THAT serious. :p

But what if i wanted to build up my 7bolt in my car now. New rods, pistons, cams, yada yada. Think its worth it? i have 110k miles

Thank you Cliff. I'm actually a little annoyed by the whole CW thing. I was going back and forth with a guy on a different forum about the same thing. I finally got fed up and never responded back. It's an overrated, overhyped, and just plain abused topic. I've got a 7 bolt in my car as well that's showing no signs of it whatsoever. My engine has less than 40K on it. Am I worried, No.

Eagle_Summit said:
Alright Hokie, The CW Scare did get to me a bit, but i always have to stop and think "im 1g, and cw aint THAT serious. :p

But what if i wanted to build up my 7bolt in my car now. New rods, pistons, cams, yada yada. Think its worth it? i have 110k miles

Heh, you and me both (110k here too) . My Talon is my daily driver, so at least in my case, I can't afford to have the motor out of the car, especially if its working properly - so, what I'm planning is to go with a new or rebuilt longblock that's got the parts & specs that I'm looking for, and build it up in my spare time, and whenever its ready, I'll install it. You can always go for the 6-bolt in this case, and you get the benefit of having a spare engine at really no extra cost. My primary point was that there was no reason to replace a perfectly good engine for the sake of just doing so, but otherwise, theres no reason not to go with whatever you're looking for.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back