The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support STM Tuned

T3/T4 Exhaust housing question.

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xXaTaXx

15+ Year Contributor
Sep 6, 2006
Bethesda, Maryland
Ok. After reading this, Some may ask WTF, but these are my plans and any help is appreciated.

Like most, I've decided to piece together a turbo kit rather than buy one. I've got some pieces, and others, I dont ;D (money!). Being my only car, the Eclipse--and moreso myself, can not afford for much downtime at all as I work everyday of the week and sometimes weekends. My plan is to install what I can in stages untill the only remaining parts have to be done together. What I want to ask is if anyone has done the following and also why/why not(constructivly please):

Install sealed/welded closed t3/t4 turbine exhaust housing to matching manifold. Installing WG, but w/o lines (or w/ lines, IDK) and turbo downpipe/02 housing to the remainder of my exhaust.

I just want to make sure I'm not pulling some retarded move by wanting to do this. I don't nessecarily even see a problem with doing it (im sure someone already has), Mainly I'm asking for tips and tricks ;D

EDIT: I already know about the loss in scavenging ;D nor does it matter to me much at this point.

Thanks,
Chris :dsm:

There's no harm in installing a wastegate, but how the hell are you going to seal a turbine/exhaust housing? There aren't any block off plates are anything like that...

VelocitàPaola;151179992 said:
There's no harm in installing a wastegate, but how the hell are you going to seal a turbine/exhaust housing? There aren't any block off plates are anything like that...

Welding ;D
Fortunately I work in an industrial district. Less than 1/2 mile from my warehouse and there is a welding shop that does "custom, specialized and unique applications". Further down that same street is a sheet-metal distributor/vendor. =DDD I'm sure they'll be fine with throwing me otherwise wasted portions of sheets.

Chris.

So you're going to ruin a good exhaust housing just to have the downpipe and manifold installed?

WTF

VelocitàPaola;151180000 said:
So you're going to ruin a good exhaust housing just to have the downpipe and manifold installed?

WTF

same thing i was thinking? :confused: :confused: :confused:

same thing i was thinking? :confused: :confused: :confused:

Who said it was still good?
Maybe there are cracks to weld closed and what not?
Just maybe its in bad shape already and from a junkyard?
Bad assumption paul ;D Kidding, but it isn't in the greatest of shape, it's also an unmatched exhaust housing.

I wouldnt call it good. Oh well, it costed $5 anyways!
Chris ;D

Well in that case... it still seems like a lot of effort for a temporary fix, but whatever floats your boat.

i think you should get everything toghter and THEN in stall your kit maybe you might have to wait for the next 3day weekend or something......BUT just wait till you have everything.

He can install the fuel system, FCD/ML and Intercooler before he installs the turbo. He can also go ahead and break all the bolts on the exhaust loose, and tighten them back down.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back