The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

Spring Break 2011 Build

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

knochgoon24

DSM Wiseman
Jan 29, 2008
Troy, Michigan
I meant to post nightly updates like I did last year during my "annual" spring break build week, but I didn't get around to it until now.

This year's list of projects was slightly smaller:
-DG Suspension
-Energy Suspension bushings
-STM -6an Tank to Rail Kit
-New rear brake calipers
-Goodridge SS brake lines

But first, I had to get my car into the garage. This is my driveway. We haven't poured more gravel yet because it's too wet for the trucks to get down there.

View attachment 2938
AWD and snow tires made getting to the garage easy.

The pile of goodies.
View attachment 2939

Before photo.
View attachment 2940

My little brother doing more work than me.
View attachment 2941

Fronts done.
View attachment 2942

Rears done.
View attachment 2943
The rear dust shields were so rusted that I removed them completely.

Quick tip for doing those bushings: buy a sawzall. It was so much easier than a hacksaw.

Fuelab filter installed and -6an Russell Proclassic hose run.
View attachment 2944

Max drop. 2.75" front. 1.875" rear.
View attachment 2945

Way too low.
View attachment 2946

So I settled on a 1.5" drop front and rear.
View attachment 2947

All cleaned up.
View attachment 2948

I just picked up a front drivers fender, 2ga Talon side skirts, 2gb Talon fogs, Hawk HPS pads, and Power Slot rotors. The pads and rotors will go on Sunday. I'll also roll the fenders and fit the summer tires on then.

More photos then. :cool:

Talipse96;bt12411 said:
Looks good. How do you like your suspension?

They are 600lb/in springs on the front at 350lb/in springs in the rear. It's pretty stiff. I haven't had a chance to mess with the shock adjustments yet to see if I can find a stiffness that makes the car ride a little nicer. The rear is bouncy at the moment.

hurricanecris24;bt12412 said:
Are those coilovers custom?
It's a setup designed by DG.

Autocross.dsm.org - Build Your Own Konis

Can you elaborate on the bushing install? I have the front and rear kit, but haven't tried to put them in. Did you use a press or anything? I see you have some kind of tool on the rear knuckle in one of your pictures.

Also, are you worried about the wear?

I've seen this posted a couple times and don't want to deal with the problems. I may be selective in where I install the bushings.

wornbushing.jpg

For the bushing install:

- Burn out the old bushing. Use a decent propane torch. Heat the rubber to the point where you can push the inner metal sleeve out, then scrape the rest of the rubber out with an old screw driver.

-Use a reciprocating saw to cut the outer metal sleeve. A hacksaw would also work, but it's slow. Just get a cheap reciprocating saw.

-Use a cold forged chisel and hammer to punch the sleeve out of the piece.

-Clean it all up, lube the inside up with the poly lube, then press the bushings in. You can use a vice on some of them, but I bought a long high strength bolt, some big thick washers, and a nut. Then all I had to do was pull the bushing in through the control arm. A smack with a BFH pushed it the rest of the way through.

-Lube the inside of the bushing up, then press the inner metal sleeve in.

And that's it. It's just time consuming because stuff is usually rusted.
I did every front and rear bushing included in the Energy Suspension Master kit.
I'm not really concerned with wear. Everything wears out eventually.

Did you build that set-up based on the DG one or did you actually purchase it that way?

knochgoon24;bt12423 said:
I did every front and rear bushing included in the Energy Suspension Master kit.
I'm not really concerned with wear. Everything wears out eventually.

Thanks Wes. Sounds easy enough. Did you put in those bushings that are recommended to leave out? Like the shock fork?

I got in on a group buy. They are designed to DG's specs.

My kit didn't have the shock fork bushing. It had the 2 for the upper arms in the front and the inner most of the straight lower control arm bushings.

The rear has 6 bushings. Three in the knuckle, 2 on the upper control arms, and 1 for a control arm.

Ah I see. I don't know what I all have, they're still in boxes.

housegsx;bt12419 said:
I've seen this posted a couple times and don't want to deal with the problems. I may be selective in where I install the bushings.

That's my photo and it's the inboard bushing of the front lower lateral control arm. It's also worth noting that I run 275 wide race slicks (i.e. tons of lateral force). YMMV.

Oh you love how it sits now and you know it! Finally I found pictures of this "dirt pathway" to the garage. I tell you it all needs some pavin'! If my dad were alive I'd have sent him your way to take care of that.

And now you just have to update this thread with your new brakes.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back